Libbie Mill / Westwood

Spider03

I can't recall what project this is, but I noticed it from 195 the other day and had the time today to go up close. It's just the parking deck going up now, but assuming this is apartments. I didn't see where anyone has posted pics of this yet. If so, forgive me for repeating. Anyway this is on Dabney close to the intersection with W. Clay.

PXL_20230507_204342357.jpg

PXL_20230507_204340066.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

@RVABizSenseMikehas reporting in today's RBS about Kinsale Capital's upcoming HQ move down the street from their current Westwood headquarters. Unless I'm missing something, there's no "new" construction involved - just a renovation - but it looks really sharp - and it's really nice to see that Kinsale Capital is growing SO quickly.

Who knows, given their current rate of growth, what they might do going forward. Either way, exciting times in Westwood.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11/07/kinsale-capital-moving-hq-down-the-street-to-former-anthem-campus/

kinsale1-Cropped-scaled.jpg

Yeah, great news and if they continue to grow like they are…could it be possible they move downtown one day?  I’m sure they could fill a sizable mixed use tower! ;)

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Yeah, great news and if they continue to grow like they are…could it be possible they move downtown one day?  I’m sure they could fill a sizable mixed use tower! ;)

Certainly something to hope for/dream about. Time will tell. I'd be curious to know if they'd even be interested in doing a relo to the central city?

This really is huge. Something @RVABizSenseMikepointed out is just how much the Westwood/Willow Lawn areas are about to explode with development, what with this proposal in addition to the huge Willow Lawn redevelopment and the Ukrops project on the table. Between these three large-scale projects alone, the Westwood area could see close to 4,000 new residential units added over the next "X" number of years. Plus office space. Plus hotel rooms. Plus commercial space. Plus retail space. And this doesn't even include the additional development in the pipeline for the expanded portion of Libby Mill or the other stand-alone apartment projects in the pipeline for Westwood. All told, the potential urbanization of this former bastion of wide-open, "model" mid-century RVA suburbia is truly breathtaking. It's almost like developing a legitimate "satellite city" or "satellite downtown" on the northwestern border between Richmond and Henrico.  Something akin to what we see around the inner suburbs surrounding Chicago (Evanston, IL, comes to mind).

This is really impressive.

Very much hoping/praying I live long enough to see all of these developments come to fruition and blossom. It could be epic.

Here's another rendering, looking north from Staples Mill & Broad.

kinsale-center-rendering.png

Screenshot (3378).png

• Like 2

Henrico is definitely trying to capitalize on this "Scott's Addition-adjacent" area. Thing is all these developments are still kind of little islands. Need better pedestrian infrastructure to link Willow Lawn to Kinsale to Libbie Mill, down to the other stuff popping up off Westwood and whatever the name of that former UMFS development on Broad is.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

Henrico is definitely trying to capitalize on this "Scott's Addition-adjacent" area. Thing is all these developments are still kind of little islands. Need better pedestrian infrastructure to link Willow Lawn to Kinsale to Libbie Mill, down to the other stuff popping up off Westwood and whatever the name of that former UMFS development on Broad is.

Agreed. A significant upgrade in pedestrian-friendly infrastructure could bring some real cohesiveness to otherwise very disparate developments. I'm not sure how this gets accomplished with the developments still basically little more than pretty renderings and the fact that the primary legacy main arteries - namely W. Broad Street & Staples Mill Road are legacy "stroads" in as much as they were never designed on the Westwood & Willow Lawn sides of the city/county borders to be urban "streets". This is a tough nut to crack, absent high-density development actually fronting the streets in question. No doubt, there are plenty of smart urban planners who can figure this out - and you are 100% spot-on in that it needs to be figured out and baked into the overall plan of redevelopment for this part of the metro.

Not sure how the county will go about tackling this issue, but I agree, it's critical that it comes to pass as this area evolves. Weaving in that level of cohesiveness could make this part of the metro a REALLY vibrant, special place.

• Like 1

Watching the rebirth of this area is amazing.  Twenty years ago, it was a tired, overlooked area.  I remember going to the Bill's BBQ in Willow Lawn in high school and it being depressing.  Now it may be the hottest (and certainly most interesting from a development standpoint) area in Henrico.  Incredible.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Wow, reading the original article about the old Anthem building getting a facelift was "meh" at best. Hearing this update is epitome of what we want for city density. This is huge news. So much retail, commercial, and apartments. This will be the first "dense" link between Libbie area and the city/fan/museum district. 

Spot on. This really is a huge project that will help link up Libbie Mill - AND - Willow Lawn with areas in the city farther east.

• 5 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

a mystery developer is looking to build a 340-unit apartment building at 4400 W. Broad on the site where a similar 340-unit development was scuttled earlier this year due to a dispute over how sewer and water easements would be handled. The property straddles the Richmond-Henrico County line. According to Mike's reporting, the property is under contract for sale to the new developer. Current owner Mark Motley of Motley Asset Disposition Group said that while easements are still being worked out, the design of the new building has garnered approval from the county.

Were there any plans publicly released for the prior, scuttled project? It's not a huge site, so I'm wondering how tall it would be to get to 340 apartments.

(One thing I don't necessarily like about that site is it's rather balkanized. Connectivity other than via Broad is limited or non-existent.)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

Were there any plans publicly released for the prior, scuttled project? It's not a huge site, so I'm wondering how tall it would be to get to 340 apartments.

(One thing I don't necessarily like about that site is it's rather balkanized. Connectivity other than via Broad is limited or non-existent.)

Yes - plans were made public. The buildings were slated to be four and five stories and, if memory serves, one was supposed to be "L" shaped or something like that.

Below are the renderings for the old project that we have on file:

motleys4.png

motleys3.jpeg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2023 at 10:09 AM, Flood Zone said:

...(One thing I don't necessarily like about that site is it's rather balkanized. Connectivity other than via Broad is limited or non-existent.)

This is why the county really needs to work with the city on this. Or, if they really want to cry about the utility situation, the county could tell the developers they have to build the development set back from Broad, build a road to connect the development to Jacque St (good luck with that), and leave the sliver of land inside the city limits blank.

Meanwhile, that small sliver could lead to something that will be slim with a little more height. This is basically how my mind is working tonight folks lmaooo

• Like 2
  • Haha 1