Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Just now, atlrvr said:

No way.  They aren't going underground with parking, and they've been grading it as they demoed.  The equipment on site is for footings.  This should be above ground in the 2nd half of this year I would think.

The Parking deck will have two levels below ground. Supposedly the mint side is already low enough for the two levels, so not much will have to be graded.

50 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

No way.  They aren't going underground with parking, and they've been grading it as they demoed.  The equipment on site is for footings.  This should be above ground in the 2nd half of this year I would think.

Thanks.  In NY, they go several stories below ground deep into the bedrock (and there's never parking -- that's just for the building).

Since Charlotte doesn't even have bedrock, I assumed that they would need to dig a foundation at least 50' deep and line it with concrete and rebar, etc.  Is that not the case?

3 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

Thanks.  In NY, they go several stories below ground deep into the bedrock (and there's never parking -- that's just for the building).

Since Charlotte doesn't even have bedrock, I assumed that they would need to dig a foundation at least 50' deep and line it with concrete and rebar, etc.  Is that not the case?

You don't need walls for foundations, you can achieve support with piles of concrete driven down to stable footing.

What-is-a-pile8[1].jpg

• Like 4

So in Charlotte, they don't dig way below street level and build concrete walls around the perimeter with a concrete floor lined with rebar like this?

I've seen many buildings rise in Charlotte but it's always been hard to get up close and look into the pit.

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

Edited by edmundblackadder1999

1 hour ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

According to this, Charlotte has Peraluminus Granite under uptown. Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 2.15.21 PM.png

I've heard numerous developers talk about the difficulty/expense of burying parking in Charlotte, specifically under the stonewall corridor, Duke Energy's hole in the earth was quite an undertaking that took lots of dynamite. 

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

According to this, Charlotte has Peraluminus Granite under uptown. Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 2.15.21 PM.png

I've heard numerous developers talk about the difficulty/expense of burying parking in Charlotte, specifically under the stonewall corridor, Duke Energy's hole in the earth was quite an undertaking that took lots of dynamite. 

Despite being a Charlotte native I moved away for some time and did not live in the city at the time the Duke Energy Center was being built (I was at the whim of my parents giving me rides everywhere, so going to see the Duke Energy Center being built would not have been on their priority list for visiting Charlotte) I knew it was not cakewalk building it but I never realized how massive this project truly was. They definitely had the benefit of being one of the first major projects in that area, I wonder what they will do at the site across the street? Not much room for an above ground parking garage, they'd probably have to do some heavy excavation too (though I personally wouldn't be against a building with no built in parking at all) 

Remember Tryon Street through uptown is on a ridge hence one of the reasons for the name UPtown. (Native Americans were very smart they wanted all their trading paths on ridges) A ridge is all that is left of a once great mountain range and is solid as a rock. All the loose dirt has eroded away. In Concord the ridge through downtown Concord is populated with large boulders. When I was out at Morrow Mtn State Park I remember reading that those Uwharrie mountains were once 10,000 feet tall and all that is left is around 1000 feet or less. In NYC they have to build those walls or bathtubs to put the foundations in because of the closeness of the rivers and tidal waters. 

I agree this tower will be vertical mid year since there is a not a deep underground garage like 300 South Tryon. Exciting times for sure! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

Remember Tryon Street through uptown is on a ridge hence one of the reasons for the name UPtown. (Native Americans were very smart they wanted all their trading paths on ridges) A ridge is all that is left of a once great mountain range and is solid as a rock. All the loose dirt has eroded away. In Concord the ridge through downtown Concord is populated with large boulders. When I was out at Morrow Mtn State Park I remember reading that those Uwharrie mountains were once 10,000 feet tall and all that is left is around 1000 feet or less. In NYC they have to build those walls or bathtubs to put the foundations in because of the closeness of the rivers and tidal waters. 

I agree this tower will be vertical mid year since there is a not a deep underground garage like 300 South Tryon. Exciting times for sure! 

Interestingly there is a big ring of plutonic rock around Concord. 

tNL0P9qx.jpg

1 hour ago, ah59396 said:

I think one of the first things I learned about Concord when I moved there back in the early 90's was that it was in the caldera of an old volcano.  Cool to actually see it on a map!

Yea man. I'm doing a bunch of research on it, for a possible article. Kinda cool.

Does anyone know what this building and development will be called? That kinda of information should be no big secret. This is a 2 block project and construction has been started and no one knows the name but Johnny and Johno Harris I guess. Just curious I am tired of calling it the Lincoln Harris Goldman Sachs Project at the Old Observer Building Site  or LHGSP at OOBS

• Like 1

Does anyone know what this building and development will be called? That kinda of information should be no big secret. This is a 2 block project and construction has been started and no one knows the name but Johnny and Johno Harris I guess. Just curious I am tired of calling it the Lincoln Harris Goldman Sachs Project at the Old Observer Building Site  or LHGSP at OOBS

I call it journalist square

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk