Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

1) The legacy union side facing Tryon is pretty crappy too. That large building at Hill/Tryon has exactly ZERO doors that open on to the sidewalk. Fortunately its glass so its salvageable... but I'm cautiously skeptical about the remainder of the block until I see evidence not to be.

2)I walk through the Church St quite a bit, and IMO the issue there isn't the "ugliness" - businesses in parking decks are doing pretty well just a block or two away. The problem, IMO is the block between 1st and Stonewall (along the Mint and old Duke HQ) are completely dead and hopeless, so there's no retail energy to connect the two. Once the Duke building is replaced, it will (presumably) have retail facing Church, which should in turn help draw people further up the street.

3) IMO unless there's mostly private funding for a cap, I just don't see it happening over the Belk. I think there's a stronger argument for the one proposed along the silver line crossing of Brookshire because it aligns with other capital projects, incentivizing new development, and there's a better equity argument for that type of investment.

• Like 3

It wont look like that it is a taller version of Deloitte tower with some similar features with balconies etc.  23 stories or so. 

I think SydneyCarton meant another tower with a similar Design but taller. A taller domed building would be cool imo.
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

While I'm sure that no one agrees with me, I'd be elated to see a taller version of this at LU.  I think that these domed buildings are beautiful.

Contact | Capitol Towers SouthPark Office Space

I like the domed bldgs.  Would actually love a residential version of this in Uptown 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

650 S Tryon is under contract.  $550/sf.  It is slightly over 70% leased.  Highwoods is the buyer, who already purchased BOAT last year.  

Lincoln Harris now has enough cash to hire a rendering artist <<< blue font, I think

this maybe their financing for the new tower to get their cash back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

this maybe their financing for the new tower to get their cash back. 

Just noticed from the Highwoods press release they are putting up  earnest money deposits in the amount of $22.5 million that are non-refundable except in limited circumstances.

There is your possible equity investment for the new tower. 

Highwoods-Announces-Charlotte-Market-Expansion-2022.pdf (q4cdn.com)

• Like 1

You know, I always look at pictures like this and feel like the grass surrounding 277 is a little out of place. Not that I don’t appreciate greenery but, like, it’s just so plain in what could be an area with something more. Why not have some bushes or trees there?

It’s likely regulations.

• 2 weeks later...