Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

11 hours ago, videtur quam contuor said:

My wife would never walk down that street after dark even with me beside her. Daytime would be unlikely. The human abandonment safety factor for women must be considered. Theirs is a different experience.

We lived in Charlotte for many years, and my wife feels the same way about Uptown.  Apart from the  vast homeless problem, we’ve seen a lot of fights and police activity in Uptown.  The QoL has plunged.  It’s not just Charlotte though.  Homelessness and crime has soured in Chapel Hill.  Durham, moreover, is simply out of control.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

We lived in Charlotte for many years, and my wife feels the same way about Uptown.  Apart from the  vast homeless problem, we’ve seen a lot of fights and police activity in Uptown.  The QoL has plunged.  It’s not just Charlotte though.  Homelessness and crime has soured in Chapel Hill.  Durham, moreover, is simply out of control.

It is a statistical fact that your spouse is a greater danger to you than moseying down any random street in uptown Charlotte or downtown Durham.  Apologies for topic digression.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

11 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

My wife preemptively calls next month's music festival the "Loving Life Shooting".  Asks her coworkers, "who's going to the Loving Life shooting in May?"

It's actually a shame because the lineup is great and we would be going if it weren't uptown. Seems like every major uptown event has had a shooting recently and my wife was not at all willing to chance it. Even worse, every single friend I've asked has said the same thing "We would go if it wasn't uptown. Too many shootings. Too unsafe"

Apologies for the topic digression 😕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, AltNative said:

My wife preemptively calls next month's music festival the "Loving Life Shooting".  Asks her coworkers, "who's going to the Loving Life shooting in May?"

It's actually a shame because the lineup is great and we would be going if it weren't uptown. Seems like every major uptown event has had a shooting recently and my wife was not at all willing to chance it. Even worse, every single friend I've asked has said the same thing "We would go if it wasn't uptown. Too many shootings. Too unsafe"

Apologies for the topic digression 😕

We decided not to go to that same festival for the very same reason.  What upsets me is that when I was in Charlotte last month, a fight broke out on Tryon Street at around 6 pm between  two lowlives, one of whom had a knife.  Four police cars came immediately and broke it up before anyone was hurt.  Sadly, however, a crowd was recording  the police and accusing them of being racist for breaking up a knife fight!  My whole family was astonished.  The police did a great job and averted a disaster.  As I recall, a woman was stabbed to death on Tryon Street within a few days of that incident.

As I said, this is not limited to Charlotte.  Durham is a fraction of Charlotte’s size, and it’s like  the Wild West.  

Anyway, this recent shootout in Uptown highlights the need to support the police and reclaim our cities.

https://www.wbtv.com/2024/04/17/video-shows-aftermath-apparent-vehicle-shootings-uptown-charlotte/

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

We decided not to go to that same festival for the very same reason.  What upsets me is that when I was in Charlotte last month, a fight broke out on Tryon Street at around 6 pm between  two lowlives, one of whom had a knife.  Four police cars came immediately and broke it up before anyone was hurt.  Sadly, however, a crowd was recording  the police and accusing them of being racist for breaking up a knife fight!  My whole family was astonished.  The police did a great job and averted a disaster.  As I recall, a woman was stabbed to death on Tryon Street within a few days of that incident.

As I said, this is not limited to Charlotte.  Durham is a fraction of Charlotte’s size, and it’s like  the Wild West.  

Anyway, this recent shootout in Uptown highlights the need to support the police and reclaim our cities.

https://www.wbtv.com/2024/04/17/video-shows-aftermath-apparent-vehicle-shootings-uptown-charlotte/

Uptown needs improvement and big cities all across America need more effective and continuous security strategies.  I think the dangers faced in downtowns are often overstated because you’re often walking around with the mentally deranged or someone tweaking.  The perception of danger driven by oddly behaving and aggressive characters is often worse than the statistical reality of any danger you face.  

Also, I think lovin life will do well.  Why?  Because of young people, and Charlotte’s got a lot [of youth].  They’re pretty fearless.  Also, as thick as the crowds will be, I’d like to think the security scrutiny will be intense and it’ll probably be the safest anyone has been in uptown in many years.  

I lived in Manhattan for 14 years and saw some of everything so I’m fairly impervious to certain shock scenarios you get in American downtowns.  I’d hoped that Charlotte might be some sort of urban oasis given I’d come here from NYC in 2016, visited uptown, and was blown away by how active the streetscapes were but also how clean and comfortable they were.  I thought, really, this exists in a sunbelt city?  So I moved here nearly 3 years later.  And now I realize it’s got issues just like everyone else and doesn’t possess any sort of urban sustainability secret.  So there ya have it.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I found the proposals for the last 2 towers at Legacy on the Honeywell block.  It will be 2 twin towers of office space on top of a 9000 parking space deck with one entrance and exit.  They have the 1 retail spot leased to a drive through coffee shop inside the deck so people backed up can order a coffee to go or whilst coming into the massive largest deck in the Carolinas.  

20240529_185031.jpg

I had to look them up! It appears there has been no permit activity for just over a year on both towers:

Residential tower -

https://webpermit.mecklenburgcountync.gov/Default.aspx?PossePresentation=Project&PosseObjectId=611935253

Office tower -

https://webpermit.mecklenburgcountync.gov/Default.aspx?PossePresentation=Project&PosseObjectId=611923195

Edited by DJ8hep
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...