Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

While the fee and regulation increases may hurt smaller developers, it will highlight the more serious players. These are higher fees for our city, but how does it compare to our counterparts like Charlotte, Austin, etc? If we are emulating to pass certain cities such as Portland, we should expect things to be more comparable to cities like it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

Belle Meade Country Club expansion (2 stories) update.  Topped out.

Looking west from intersection of Harding Place and Belle Meade Blvd:

Belle Meade Country Club, Jan 7, 2020.jpg

Looks like a nice new building, wish I COULD SEE IT FROM THE INSIDE (I'm making a joke because I was never allowed in here due to my ethnicity)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, GregH said:

It's cool that there's more residential coming on Charlotte but I've been thinking about the Richland Park stretch of the road. The  storefronts across from the park could be a cool little district but I think it's currently cursed (a lot of the storefronts are vacant) by not having much parking and foot traffic being limited. Even though it's right between Sylvan Park and the Nations, with the barriers of Charlotte and I-40 (and Richland Park) there's really a pretty small number of residences within what most people would consider a convenient walk. It would be nice to see some medium-size infill in the area that could increase foot traffic. I've highlighted some places that are, in my opinion, a bit underused or potential candidates for something. The two used car lots on 51st across from Coco's might be the most promising. They're not visible in this screenshot but the Contractor's Equipment yard at 51st and Delaware and the vacant lot next to Caliber Collision on Delaware could also find a higher use.

Richland.JPG

Everything that is highlighted would need to be rezoned with the exception of the lot behind the retail building on the back side of 46th and Charlotte (S side). That is zoned OR 20 office residential 20 units per acre. Everything else is zoned CS which is commercial.

Getting the current council person behind that may be lick pulling teeth out of a angry wide awake lion. I think they would have a better shot at the rezone on the north side of the street, but who knows. You know how the residents in that area get when you start talking multi family.... they think cars, crime, riff raff, etc..

I think the Shell station lot would get a lot of opposition but feel (perhaps without reason) that the north side of Charlotte  lots wouldn't meet much opposition. Does anyone know what the neighborhood situation was when the West 46th building was being developed?

Belle Meade Country Club does not discriminate admission to its facilities if you are an invited guest of a member, or attending a public/private function held there.   To state that one is not is not allowed to enter due to ethnicity is totally wrong. 

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, dxfret said:

African Americans have held membership at BMCC for at least 30 years.

This article from BET, dated 2012, says that at the time of publication BMCC was considering its first African Americans for full membership. Is this article in error?

(U.P. Won’t let me cut/paste on my phone, so here’s a screenshot of the headline.)

61A27CD2-5DCD-429C-A7FE-838FF5887898.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dxfret said:

Belle Meade Country Club does not discriminate admission to its facilities if you are an invited guest of a member, or attending a public/private function held there.   To state that one is not is not allowed to enter due to ethnicity is totally wrong. 

They wouldn’t let me or my family in because we are Hispanic and this was circa 2006. 

To my memory, Belle Meade CC's first non-white member was likely 30 years ago, but I remember later news stories that it was only one, for a long while, and they actually lived in Atlanta, so didn't visit often. It's also true that it was a WASP membership with Woodmont Country Club being the city's predominately Jewish country club. In my youth it was on Woodmont Blvd. where Sugartree now sits. It moved in the early 70's to Sneed Road in Williamson County. By that point, it had become pretty open to anyone due to membership drops.

I also expect an admonition to take this conversation to the Coffee House.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2

Hobnobish Country Clubs are a waste of money. Even if I had the money I am the type of person that would be more anti social and tell the hob nobbers to stick it. 

I would not be the one that would drive a luxury car either. Its just not who I am. To throw the racial, religious, social, & genetic pedigree superiority into the mix is something I would not want to have anything to do with. Besides I hate the game of golf and as some of you know me I say the two biggest wastes of land IMO are golf courses and grave yards. The game of golf is a waste of land and water resources.

Besides when doing ones family tree, there are always surprises for those WASP when they find Jewish, non white, horse thieving, murdering ancestors in the family tree. That is the first thing they try to cover up. There are always a few nuts in the tree as well.

I am sure there are some people that think they are truly good people but are so misinformed about their worldly views you would never convince them they are wrong.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AsianintheNations said:

Absolutely agree. It's a pity because a few quick fixes would bring so much more traffic to those storefronts, which form a charming small-town Main St. I was just complaining to my wife today that there is exactly one crosswalk between 46th and 51st, making it inconvenient to say hang out at the park or library (where there is plenty of parking except during the farmer's market) and then hop across the street for shopping or food, or vice versa. I've done this to go to Darkhorse theater, but that's on the corner that's actually easily crossable. The vacant storefronts are also very unkempt, and it makes it hard to spot that a few of the businesses are still open. I was recently showing around an interviewee for the hospital, and he spontaneously commented that the yoga studio was looking really sketchy. Finally, while I have been to the McDonald's and Hugh Baby's a couple times and certainly don't dislike them, they really break the illusion of the old downtown retail district by invading the brick facades with rural-highway-exit-style parking layouts.

Oh well, that strip is slowly changing so we'll see what comes with time. The McDonald's is renovating right now and Turnip Truck is going up on the Coco's side. Hopefully at some point they paint a few more crosswalks because it's impossible to jaywalk across a 45-mph four-lane U.S. highway.

Complain and moan and groan to your council person till her, and her buddy across Charlotte get it fixed. Be a thorn in her side till she hates her job. Tell all your neighbors to do the same thing.

16 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Complain and moan and groan to your council person till her, and her buddy across Charlotte get it fixed. Be a thorn in her side till she hates her job. Tell all your neighbors to do the same thing.

Based on what I remember Brett telling me when I've asked about more crosswalks on Gallatin, the council person doesn't have a whole lot of say or influence on where public works deigns to put crosswalks, so I wouldn't be too rude to Kathleen. I'd lean on public works and the mayor instead.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nashville Cliff said:

Based on what I remember Brett telling me when I've asked about more crosswalks on Gallatin, the council person doesn't have a whole lot of say or influence on where public works deigns to put crosswalks, so I wouldn't be too rude to Kathleen. I'd lean on public works and the mayor instead.

Isn't that kind of the point of having a council person though? To represent district priorities to the administration and call out the metro bureaucracy when it's falling short? I try to "lean" on public works and the mayor, but the difference in an individual citizen and a representative of a district is pretty stark.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AronG said:

Isn't that kind of the point of having a council person though? To represent district priorities to the administration and call out the metro bureaucracy when it's falling short? I try to "lean" on public works and the mayor, but the difference in an individual citizen and a representative of a district is pretty stark.

Oh, I don't disagree, I'm just saying we have a weak council, by design, and the members don't have the influence that a lot of folks assume they have.

Progress on Novel (on Charlotte right off I-40 exit 201).

As seen from the intersection of River Rd and Charlotte (and the unnamed Walmart/Lowe's road):

Novel1.jpg.9e1c9e7f33f6f16ed22d0776fa24e7b2.jpg

From the Lowe's parking lot, which is a good spot to see Bell's Bluff, Rivertop Apartments, and Novel with a 180 degree turn of the head. While none are particularly inspiring and pretty much just sit on their respective hills, they total to 1062 units, which is pretty impressive given the very low-density development otherwise in the area.

Novel0.jpg.a9e137c562d642466277efddb4cc08b8.jpg

• Like 4