The Plaza

Tim3167

In the current issue of Sports Illustrated with Maurice Jones-Drew of the Jaguars, there is an advertising feature for John Hancock. They feature the Tampa Bay Bucs center Jeff Faine who is the partner with Pete Downing (manager of Antigua) and their story on FortyVII Clothing opening up in the 67-floor building. Explains one of the reasons for opening late is that they wanted to drop the floor 18 inches and had to cut some of the support for the whole building to do so. Says they are opening in October.

So they cut some of the support for the whole building? Did they put something back in place?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i think that is the wrong link ^^

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-locthea...,0,573549.story

i really hope this time it comes to fruition...i like the dining theater idea, as long as the food is good and the movies are great ... i think they should do a mix of indie and mainstream movies...but im not sure any of the big cinema companies would be for that

Edited by surina777

I think the best cinema of this type, programing wise anyway, is The Alamo cinemas in Austin, Texas. They mix the new blockbusters with indie. But best of all is what I call the 'foreshadowing' reel in which they play snippets of movies that the current feature may have drawn inspiration. For example, some of the kung fu and western movies that Tarantino talked about in an interview they played before a special showing of the two Kill Bills back to back when Kill Bill 2 was released.

It makes me want to be there at door open, order the food and start the sangria flowing right away. Gosh but I love Austin....

Edited by Boomer136

Of course one theater built to handle premieres (reception space lobby, etc) as part of the overall cinema could help fly the flag as why to come to a movie theater that can say "We're the theater for movie lovers" by showing local works as well as films for the black turtleneck crowd on special engagements while still making money on the next Brandon Fraser movie.

Of course one theater built to handle premieres (reception space lobby, etc) as part of the overall cinema could help fly the flag as why to come to a movie theater that can say "We're the theater for movie lovers" by showing local works as well as films for the black turtleneck crowd on special engagements while still making money on the next Brandon Fraser movie.

I don't think anyone makes movie from Brandon Fraser movies. Not even Brandon Fraser.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Orlando Business Journal is reporting that The Plaza has finally secured a movie theater operator, named Orlando Movie Company, whose parent company is American Theater Corp. Build-out of the existing space should begin in the 1st quarter of 2009 and is expected to be completed in July. Plans for the theater include:

-A high-end experience with fold-out tables and more upscale hot food choice.

-New signage for the theater and The Plaza

-Two wine bars that will front Orange Ave.

-The theater will become host of the Orlando Film Festival

-Theater owners will donate 1,500 tickets per year for 10 years to Parramore Kidz Zone

Of course, this is only happening with help from the city government. The Orlando City Council will vote Dec. 15th on a deal that would provide $6 million to the theater developers.

Half way to the downtown movie theatre. Second vote on 1/12/09 after residents and businesses can speak on the proposed assessments. I wonder how much more a condo owner would have to pay. I think for the long-term value of their investment, paying the assessment may be worth it if not excessive.

Council Gives Downtown Cineplex Green Light

Half way to the downtown movie theatre. Second vote on 1/12/09 after residents and businesses can speak on the proposed assessments. I wonder how much more a condo owner would have to pay. I think for the long-term value of their investment, paying the assessment may be worth it if not excessive.

Council Gives Downtown Cineplex Green Light

I thought the assessments were only to be on the Plaza businesses and the parking garage, not The Solaire condos. Why should condo owners in The Solaire subsidize the theatre? How are they(we) benefiting? By having more traffic in the parking garage and therefore taking longer to enter and exit? Where is the benefit to us more so then any other residence downtown? Remember, we the condo owners did not get any tax breaks from the city, the developer did and did not pass it along to us. In fact, the city tried to assess us a seperate tax on our parking spots even though they were included in the purchase price and the orginal assessment on the condo. If it means higher taxes then what we are already paying, take this theatre and shove it. Build a mini-mall in its place and be done with it. Sorry for sounding angry but this is ridicules. My condo is worth less then what I paid for it and my taxes did not go down to reflect the reduction. Now they want to charge me a special assessment? No way!

I thought the assessments were only to be on the Plaza businesses and the parking garage, not The Solaire condos. Why should condo owners in The Solaire subsidize the theatre? How are they(we) benefiting? By having more traffic in the parking garage and therefore taking longer to enter and exit? Where is the benefit to us more so then any other residence downtown? Remember, we the condo owners did not get any tax breaks from the city, the developer did and did not pass it along to us. In fact, the city tried to assess us a seperate tax on our parking spots even though they were included in the purchase price and the orginal assessment on the condo. If it means higher taxes then what we are already paying, take this theatre and shove it. Build a mini-mall in its place and be done with it. Sorry for sounding angry but this is ridicules. My condo is worth less then what I paid for it and my taxes did not go down to reflect the reduction. Now they want to charge me a special assessment? No way!

If I read the article correctly, it just states assessments on parking patrons, and retail and restaraunt tenants. I agree with you, it wouldnt make sense to force this on residential condo owners.

How did your property taxes not go down this year? Mine at the waverly went from $6000 last year to $3000 this year.

• 3 weeks later...

one step closer...

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_poli...do-commiss.html

This afternoon, the Orlando City Council is expected to grant final approval to a $6 million deal to bring a movie theater downtown.

Commissioners already gave the deal a green light last month, but there will be public hearings today on the way the incentive package is structured. If you want to say something about it, the 2 p.m. meeting at City Hall will be your last chance.

The plan calls for a 12-screen "cinema grill" on the second level of The Plaza, with oversized, faux-leather seating for 1,200; cabaret-style tables; and an expanded menu, including beer and wine.