North Greenville Development News

RestedTraveler

• 2 months later...

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am a banker. Believe me when I say that restaurants in this area are hurting, and hurting badly. I doubt you will see many middle to upscale new restaurants to open any time soon. In fact, many are closing and more will close in the next few months. It is very sad. These folks have invested so much in good concepts only to see dwindling traffic in the last three months. Examples are Restaurant O (closing to revamp) and Gerards in Greer.

Gerards is actively looking for another partner and this a very positive move for O. It will be another fresh take on the restaurant scene. Numerous additional restaurants are planned and or being planned downtown, so not sure I see a downturn. There will always be closings and there will always be openings to replace them. That is the nature of the restaurant scene in any city as it continues to stay fresh. I've seen no significant closings here. :dontknow:

Even in the burbs, new restaurants are continuing to sprout and most are packed (Azia was packed last night).

Tried to go to Quaker Steak & Lube last night, myself - absolutely jam packed ... balked and went to Doc Chey's instead...you can always walk right in and sit down at Doc Chey's these days.

As for Justin's in Travelers Rest ... does anybody know if the building on the corner next to the site is also going to be part of Justin's? Renovation work has been actively (yet slowly) underway in that building since around the time that sign went up.

Both of your examples are not adequate representatives of restaurants struggling because of the economy though. You said Restaurant O is closing to revamp, and Gerard's is closing (or has closed?) because the owner died recently. Chef Gerard has said that he and his family will remain in Greenville and that he hopes to be back in operation soon, if the right option opens up.

I'm not contending your point, which would likely be difficult to deny under the current economic condition, but I thought better examples of restaurant closure would be more convincing.

Gerards is actively looking for another partner and this a very positive move for O. It will be another fresh take on the restaurant scene. Numerous additional restaurants are planned and or being planned downtown, so not sure I see a downturn. There will always be closings and there will always be openings to replace them. That is the nature of the restaurant scene in any city as it continues to stay fresh. I've seen no significant closings here. :dontknow:

Even in the burbs, new restaurants are continuing to sprout and most are packed (Azia was packed last night).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
If you're talking about the property next to the Garden Center, I asked several people about it at both Wal-Mart and Great Clips this past weekend. I got mixed answers. Some people said it's Cracker Barrel. Others said it's another Copper River Grill. The property was sold to a developer from Charlotte, so who knows what exactly they're building. If you're talking about the out parcel between Arby's and CVS, that's going to be Sonic Drive-In. I understand that construction on the Sonic isn't too far off on the horizon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived