VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

Couple data points to ponder: At 314,000 sf for the new dental school, it’s just slightly smaller than Gateway Plaza (18 stories) and about the same size as Williams Mullen tower (15 stories) and Costar’s existing bldg (9 stories). Also, this site is currently about 3 acres, and most city blocks in Richmond are about 2 acres. 

• Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Couple data points to ponder: At 314,000 sf for the new dental school, it’s just slightly smaller than Gateway Plaza (18 stories) and about the same size as Williams Mullen tower (15 stories) and Costar’s existing bldg (9 stories). Also, this site is currently about 3 acres, and most city blocks in Richmond are about 2 acres. 

Thanks, @wrldcoupe4 -  good to have some numbers to work with. Yeah - the parcel size is the height killer here, unfortunately. One of the pluses of the CCP proposal (the original one, not the truncated piece of junk) was that, if memory serves, in included re-establishing Clay Street west of 10th. Is is safe to say that with VCU piloting the plane, any thoughts of Clay Street "reappearing" have effectively been kiboshed?

Particularly if the dentistry school flies solo on this parcel - these numbers don't say height to me. They say to me flat, wide, bulky - less than 10 floors. Think CoStar's original building at best. Now, if in fact the school is planning on replacing Sanger and doing it on that block, that would change the equation a LOT.

Either way - particularly based on Coupe's numbers - I just don't see any kind of decent height being realistic here.

Edited by I miss RVA

1 hour ago, Shakman said:

A courtyard in the middle of the block could help with more overall height.   

Very true, though I still wish to goodness we could get the heck out of this awful paradigm of "one building  per block". I realize that all comes down to who owns what property - and developers generally tend to assemble as much property as possible on which to build. The problem is, it lends itself to a lot of wide, flat (even if bulky), definitely shorter buildings - and literally a single building occupying a city block (unlike the old, traditional Financial District along E. Main Street where a square city block could contain anywhere from two to four highrises). Much as we talk about the great need for population density, I SOOO wish RVA could get back to the development style of BUILDING density.

Avery Hall in Manchester is a GREAT example. They are putting up what is essentially "multiple" buildings on a parcel that's probably a similar size to the Block D parcel ( @wrldcoupe4- by chance would you have access to data to compare those two blocks?) ... If you look at the renderings, even though the project "officially" calls for two residential towers - they are essentially physically putting up a 17-story building and two 16-story buildings sitting atop a common four-story deck with integrated parking. One property owner, multiple buildings. Density of both people AND structures.

That's how buildings used to be constructed in downtown RVA (and for certain, it's the same way in other, much larger cities where property values are out of the cosmos expensive)... I'd like to see this kind of construction (what Avery Hall is doing) downtown instead of "one building per block".

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

That thing went up fast. I go down Broad pretty often, don't think I ever saw the start and drove by yesterday and it was basically done.

Very narrow footprint - and only seven stories. Guess the construction crews really made light work of this building.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

RTD : VCU to demolish 8 buildings, making way for new projects

https://richmond.com/news/local/business/real-estate/vcu-to-demolish-8-buildings-making-way-for-new-projects/article_c1e1e46c-5174-11ee-bc94-d318d6ddb519.html

Nothing new here really - 5 structures along Hermitage , 3 at Broad\Belvidere impending demo ahead of Athletic campus and Arts Innovation centers. To de demoed this fall. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, whw53 said:

RTD : VCU to demolish 8 buildings, making way for new projects

https://richmond.com/news/local/business/real-estate/vcu-to-demolish-8-buildings-making-way-for-new-projects/article_c1e1e46c-5174-11ee-bc94-d318d6ddb519.html

Nothing new here really - 5 structures along Hermitage , 3 at Broad\Belvidere impending demo ahead of Athletic campus and Arts Innovation centers. To de demoed this fall. 

Maybe we've known this previously, but an interesting nugget: appears that VCU's gorgeous new Arts Innovation building will be known as the CoStar Center for Arts and Innovation. Looks like CoStar purchased the naming rights.

Hmmm... wonder if part of the innovation includes the introduction of the practice of measuring by means of CoStar FeetTM to the curriculum?  image.jpeg.54193f0de8fa8f4f28821a3020adfdf1.jpeg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Hmmm... wonder if part of the innovation includes the introduction of the practice of measuring by means of CoStar FeetTM to the curriculum?  image.jpeg.54193f0de8fa8f4f28821a3020adfdf1.jpeg

I've heard of politics teaching selective history but corporations teaching selective math is where I draw the line!

Really wish VCU would do something with the Belvidere and W. Leigh st vacant block. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

This will be fun to watch!  Thanks for posting the timeline for construction!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rjp212 said:

We'll definitely need to keep eyeballs and cameras trained on this site. Hopefully, there will be a VCU construction cam. Love the "big city" look of this new building.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@RVABizSenseMikehas reporting in today's RBS that a new taco restaurant is planned near the southeast corner of Laurel and Broad.  Long-time Richmonders (and ex-pats) will remember the building at 727 W. Broad as the location of Metro and then Rockitz, which were in the building over the decades going back to the '80s. Undoubtedly, the new taco place is in a great location with VCU all around them. Particularly with the new tech center just a few doors up the street on Broad, they should have plenty of business. Wonder if they'll do deliveries?

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/10/27/new-taco-shop-to-open-in-long-dormant-asado-space-on-broad/

el-taco-guapo-Cropped-2048x1152.jpg

Screenshot (3313).png

• Like 2