VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

2 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Those parks work because those building house and employ thousand of people.   A couple hundred office workers cannot populate a park in any meaningful way (nothing is sadder than a bland park with zero people in it).  

This part of town does not need any park space.  A meandering  and nicely planted route between buildings would be nice though (like in the VCU provided photos).  regardless of what is built here, the streets will be treelined.  The Capitol lawn is only 1.5 blocks away.  The view across the valley is all green too.  There is ample green space in Richmond already, we need more people to fill those spaces before we introduce more.   

On a related note, downtown could use basketball /tennis courts.   I’m much rather see an urban park than a nod to nature.    Richmond has nature in spades.  

Actually looking back at those photos form Atlanta…even with all of those people bordering the park, it looks dreadful and empty.   I remembered the photos looking more like Bryant Park in NYC. 

Fully agreed 100%  on all these points, @Brent114 Richmond has plenty of green spaces -- downtown isn't going to be confused with Manhattan anytime soon. We need thousands more people living/working downtown. Some crowding of buildings downtown is a GOOD thing - we have to build a critical mass of both people AND buildings. I look at the Sea of Parking Lots that is Monroe Ward and I see a wonderful canvas that needs an amazing picture -- a forest of high rises -- painted upon it! 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

We poured and finished all of the concrete over our electrical pvc pipes today we stayed late today to make sure we got it done so I left around 4:45 today. Man am I whooped after that today. Not sure what tomorrows agenda is but I will be back with a report tomorrow for you guys. TGIF tomorrow. I’m ready for the weekend.

A weekend's respite WELL EARNED!! Rock on, brother!! You're helping to build a bigger, better Richmond! :tw_thumbsup:

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

A weekend's respite WELL EARNED!! Rock on, brother!! You're helping to build a bigger, better Richmond! :tw_thumbsup:

Yes I can’t guaranteed I will be on this job the entire time it’s built. I’ve heard I will probably be here for at least a year but you never knows it’s all based on where the company needs me. I’ll be sure to give you guys the heads up when I’m off duty of the pinecrest. It’s a very impressive project and the sheer size of the job site is pretty amazing when you look at the entire site.  All around the diameter of it. But it’s very exciting and I feel this building is going to be very chunk but a big deal for Monroe ward. It will be right next door to the Berkshire which is a much older apartment building and they are going to be so close to each other but I will say the Berkshire needs a lot of work done to it. The balconies are all concrete and I am really concerned one day someone may walk outside and the balcony collapses. I don’t feel good about concrete exterior anything the way it can fall apart much easily due to weather. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 1:27 PM, plain said:

Are they renovating that building? (Shockoe Hill Apts)

I haven’t been on the job site yet but people I work with have told me they are working on it while people are in there living in it. Not sure how that’s working but they must be doing a certain section of it at a time. Never been to that building or seen it before but I will find out and see what the deal is. Apparently my company has been working on it for a while and has been taking a while. Not sure if there is any other company working on it or not. We are doing there electrical side of it. Not sure if someone is doing the plumbing or hvac so I will be finding all of that out tomorrow.

• Like 3

On 7/30/2022 at 1:27 PM, plain said:

Are they renovating that building? (Shockoe Hill Apts)

So as far as shockoe hill apartments are concerned. Apparently they are moving people out of the units little by little. This job is almost complete which is crazy. I’m an electrical apprentice and so pretty much all of the electrical is up just a handful of things left to do. The drywall will take a while. The inside of this place is very dated and I had no idea it was here. It’s a cool old building just needs some updating even though it is section 8 housing. I would say our side or the project may possibly be done at the end of this week maybe not. It’s hard to say at the moment. The units have all new appliances in them too now and updated bathrooms. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Snippet from today's article on the new VCU Stem Building:

"The Arts and Innovation Academic Building is in its planning phase, with construction expected to kick off in September 2023, according to meeting materials reviewed by the VCU Board of Visitors’ administration committee earlier this month. The building is set to rise at the corner of Broad and Belvidere streets. "

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/09/29/project-snapshot-construction-continues-on-new-stem-building-at-vcu-campus/

Rendering of facade of AIAB

I'm still struck by just how large the building is. It's going to make Belvidere and Broad an amazing western gateway to downtown. At it's highest point (toward the 'back' of this rendering) it appears to reach as much as 12 stories, if my window-level counting is accurate.  So it will have some very real prominence. 

• Like 4

Great article in today's RBS highlighting VCU's new STEM building on W. Franklin Street. The reporter who wrote the article included a small Easter egg for us to feast on, too! :tw_smiley:  Alllllllllll the way in the final graf of the story, we find the following:

Work has started on the Technology Operations Center at 707 W. Broad St. That project is planned to wrap up in December 2023. Mark Turner Construction is the general contractor for the project and PSH+ is the architect.

YES!!!  Obviously, we've seen pix of demo at the site - but I'm glad to see progress is being noted on this project by RBS.  More good news, to say the least! 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/09/29/project-snapshot-construction-continues-on-new-stem-building-at-vcu-campus/

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Here's the entry on the architect's web facing portfolio

https://pshplus.com/portfolio-item/vcu-technology-operations-center-▫-richmond-va/

WOWWWWWWWWWW...

As Arnold Horshack used to say - "Verrry impressive Mr. Kotter(ah)" :tw_thumbsup:

Me-LIKES this building! Holy moly - is it just me or does it have a very New York kinda feel and vibe to it? Something interesting - it's got some "sneaky" height. Officially six floors - but the crown adds the equivalent of a seventh floor -and the mechanical box toward the back 2/3 of the building (and not visible from Broad Street) brings it to an equivalent of eight stories tall.

Not ... bad... at... all!

THIS, my friends, is exciting!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2022 at 8:59 PM, I miss RVA said:

Thought I'd post up what this sweet building will look like. To say I'm impressed is an understatement. I really like this project. I just now noticed from the third rendering that the back of the building sits up even higher than the mechanical box - so this building will absolutely have the equivalent height of at least eight stories - and really almost nine. Again, I'm just super impressed by the design of this guy. :tw_thumbsup:

3-Front-East-Final.jpg

2-Front-Center-Final.jpg

1-Front-West-Final.jpg

Not sure if y'all know this but there is a crane near this site or behind it (where that book store is/was next to Chipotle). Saw it recently biking through VCU but I was a few blocks away. Will take a pic asap to get your jammies going @I miss RVA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Not sure if y'all know this but there is a crane near this site or behind it (where that book store is/was next to Chipotle). Saw it recently biking through VCU but I was a few blocks away. Will take a pic asap to get your jammies going @I miss RVA

Jesus - I've become like Pavlov's dog - I started drooling already at the thought of a new crane popping up over the city. :tw_joy:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...