Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

Also from inrich:

What's happening in health care

Several major projects are under way or are proposed for Richmond-area hospital systems.

BON SECOURS RICHMOND

St. Francis Medical Center expansion: add two floors to add 54 beds -- proposed

Medical offices and express-care center on Patterson Avenue in western Henrico County -- proposed

St. Mary's Hospital: renovations and additions to two floors to add intra-operative MRI, expand lobby and expand emergency department -- proposed

Bon Secours Heart Institute at Reynolds Crossing -- opening this spring

HCA RICHMOND

West Creek Medical Center in Goochland County -- proposed

Cancer Center at CJW Medical Center (Johnston-Willis) -- under way

Henrico Doctors' Hospital (Forest): five-year plan includes medical office building (under way), new emergency department and critical-care tower (fall 2008 groundbreaking), new women's pavilion and new cancer center

CJW Medical Center (Chippenham): expand pediatric emergency room from 17 to 30 beds -- under way

Free-standing surgery center in Colonial Heights -- proposed early 2009 opening

Sports-medicine center in Chester -- opening this spring

VCU MEDICAL CENTER

The Critical Care Hospital: 367,000 square feet, 15 floors, 232 beds, 40-station neonatal intensive care unit, new burn center and 10 new operating suites -- under way, departments will begin moving this fall

The Perkinson dental school building: dental clinics, laboratory space, classrooms and offices -- under way

Medical Sciences II research and education building -- interior work beginning

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Why do I have the feeling that if this were in Short Pump, there would be a thread 5 pages deep for it?

It looks like White Oak Village has already sparked another shopping center across the street, Laburnam Station... I'd never have known if there weren't a sign up and clearing going on.

LS_tight_082807600x480.jpg

http://www.thewiltonco.com/retail/4287

Man oh man, a Best Buy near my backyard other than Mechanicsville? I know my mother's going to be delighted.

The land has been cleared off for this development. I was surprised to see a house back there.

100_7752.jpg

White Oak's coming along quite well.

100_7739.jpg

100_7761.jpg

Four houses on tracts of land have been demolished at Laburnum and Creighton Rd for an office/retail development.

(Sorry I thought I was replying in time for this to be incorporated into my previous post)

Also, Channel 6 showed some neat renderings of the new mixed-use development to be built on Staples Mill. Looks pretty neat, I think I'll take before pics tomorrow.

Edited by Cadeho

Here's an interesting article on our grocery stores worth noting.

By November, Greensboro, N.C.-based grocer The Fresh Market expects to open its second store in the region on Huguenot Road, in space formerly occupied by a Barnes & Noble near Midlothian Turnpike.

In the next two-and-a-half years, Cincinnati-based The Kroger Co. plans to open three new stores

Suburban Hotel Updates:

1. The tower crane for the hotel at Cad's favorite place (Short Pump Town Center) has been removed. Work continues on the facade.

2. Still no equipment onsite for Hilton at Town Center West, however there was a rendering in yesterday's RTD Real Estate Section.

3. Next to Town Center West, behind the car dealer, Springhill Suites is topped out. Work continues on the facade.

4. The facade of the Holiday Inn and the hotel next to it, near RIC, is nearly complete.

5. Next to the both those is the Hampton Inn which is still rising.

6. Down the road from there, on Audobon, land has been cleared for the Candlewood Suite

7. The Hyatt Place along Rt 10 has opened its newly constructed wing. According to hotel sources, it opened last Friday. Right on time for the Race crowds.

8. Anything I missed?

Suburban Hotel Updates:

2. Still no equipment onsite for Hilton at Town Center West, however there was a rendering in yesterday's RTD Real Estate Section.

3. Next to Town Center West, behind the car dealer, Springhill Suites is topped out. Work continues on the facade.

Heavy equipment for the Hilton at TCW should be onsite for the end of this week. Pre-froundation work has started and gravel is being moved in.

I knew it was a Spring Hill Suites! I should've opened my mouth. Wasn't fully sure though, the other one opened up recently on Gayton near the new Cracker Barrel, that's pulling it awfully close.

Heavy equipment for the Hilton at TCW should be onsite for the end of this week. Pre-froundation work has started and gravel is being moved in.

I knew it was a Spring Hill Suites! I should've opened my mouth. Wasn't fully sure though, the other one opened up recently on Gayton near the new Cracker Barrel, that's pulling it awfully close.

Also worth noting, we should see an announcement for a hotel chain to accommodate the available pad in WestMark very soon. There have been a couple chains seeking high interest in the future hotel site.

Edited by TBurban

I've heard talk of a Sonic going in on US 1 @ Sliding Hill Road just north of Virginia Center Commons. Near where the Arby's is under construction. Does anyone know Sonic's plans in the Richmond market? I talked to someone a while back at the Sonic in Chester and was told that one was to be built along Hull Street (and it was) then on Midlothian, Broad St., and Ashland. I'm going to assume right now that US 1/Sliding Hill Road Sonic is the one meant for Ashland.

Sure would like one in Mechanicsville. It would do fantastic business.

I've heard talk of a Sonic going in on US 1 @ Sliding Hill Road just north of Virginia Center Commons. Near where the Arby's is under construction. Does anyone know Sonic's plans in the Richmond market? I talked to someone a while back at the Sonic in Chester and was told that one was to be built along Hull Street (and it was) then on Midlothian, Broad St., and Ashland. I'm going to assume right now that US 1/Sliding Hill Road Sonic is the one meant for Ashland.

Sure would like one in Mechanicsville. It would do fantastic business.

Probably there will be more hotel/motel construction in the US 1, I-95 area around Lewistown Road. The Bass Pro Shop, nearing completion nearby, reportedly will be one of the largest in the chain.

Probably there will be more hotel/motel construction in the US 1, I-95 area around Lewistown Road. The Bass Pro Shop, nearing completion nearby, reportedly will be one of the largest in the chain.

The master plan for the Bass Pro Shop site calls for two large office buildings and several more strip centers and free-standing restuarants. I also believe a hotel pad site or two was part of the concept. I haven't seen one in a while, so I can't be certain.

Eric, this web site should be in Retail thread as well, don't you agree? It is going to be a major attraction for the Richmond area.

I have been told that their famous ISLAMORATA FISH COMPANY restaurant will be included in the Richmond project along with all other features associated with Bass Pro Shops.

The entire development is to be called Winding Brook, but damned if I see any brook or creek in aerial photos.

Thanks for posting this, Eric. The pix are quite up-to-date.

Eric, this web site should be in Retail thread as well, don't you agree? It is going to be a major attraction for the Richmond area.

I have been told that their famous ISLAMORATA FISH COMPANY restaurant will be included in the Richmond project along with all other features associated with Bass Pro Shops.

The entire development is to be called Winding Brook, but damned if I see any brook or creek in aerial photos.

Thanks for posting this, Eric. The pix are quite up-to-date.

There is a stream there, its about 10-15' wide in most places...

Also worth noting, we should see an announcement for a hotel chain to accommodate the available pad in WestMark very soon. There have been a couple chains seeking high interest in the future hotel site.

Damn Shak, we were both wrong on the Springhill Suites, it's a Wingate!

There is a stream there, its about 10-15' wide in most places...

If I'm correct, the name of the creek... and don't laugh... I am not being vulgar either... is Lickinghole, one of the worst names since Roanoke's original name.

• 4 weeks later...

In case no one has seen the layout of Westchester Commons, please see below (nothing too impressive in my opinion):

http://www.zarembagroup.com/PDF/stplan_westchester.pdf

Main Street Plan for Westchester Commons:

http://www.westchester-commons.com/Mainstreet_siteplan.pdf

So far the following tenants have been signed according to the developers website (developer is Zaremba Group):

Target 132,362 SF

Regal Cinemas 67,000 SF

JoAnn 35,328 SF

OfficeMax 18,000 SF

Petco 17,253 SF

Starbucks 1,800 SF

Bertucci's Outparcel

Wachovia Outparcel

Bank of America Outparcel

Edited by Shakman

In case no one has seen the layout of Westchester Commons, please see below (nothing too impressive in my opinion):

http://www.zarembagroup.com/PDF/stplan_westchester.pdf

Main Street Plan for Westchester Commons:

http://www.westchester-commons.com/Mainstreet_siteplan.pdf

So far the following tenants have been signed according to the developers website (developer is Zaremba Group):

Target 132,362 SF

Regal Cinemas 67,000 SF

JoAnn 35,328 SF

OfficeMax 18,000 SF

Petco 17,253 SF

Starbucks 1,800 SF

Bertucci's Outparcel

Wachovia Outparcel

Bank of America Outparcel

amazing how one's work ends up on the web.

This Watkins Center/Westchester Commons projects is falling short of what I expected. All the talk for years was about a pedestrian friendly high end lifestyle center on this site and now this is what we get. Talk about average and no vision. It looks to be about the same thing as the Commonwealth shopping area off Hull Street. I was really hoping Chesterfield would build something like the West Broad Village project. The Westchester design does not really seem all that walkable. I mean the projects is all divided up by a sea of parking spaces. Why didn't they have everything more connected with green space and have parking on the outer rim of it. In a previous thread I contrasted the Westchester design with Fairfax Corner. See the difference for yourself.

http://www.fairfaxcorner.com/interactive_map/index.html

Fairfax corner is a pretty cool development... I've eaten many a Potbelly Sub and Coastal Flats annnnd PF Chang's there. It also has THE MOST expensive movie theater I've ever been to. Plus it's just down the way from Wegman's!

Unfortunately Westchester is nothing more than a ring of big boxes (many of which are already nearby) with a phony "town center" element in the center of a vast sea of parking.... so instead of being in a long line like the big boxes, the smaller retailers are clustered in a box.

Yawn...

I know it's about a mile away from Westchester, but I've always been frustrated by the "village of Midlothian" because if Chesterfield put even an ounce of effort into it, Midlothian could become a fantastic walkable town with a rich history of rail a mining to boot. It's a perfect spot to have a light rail link to other walkable parts of the region too. That area deserved a village master plan decades ago.

I lived right by Fairfax Corner until almost 2 years ago when we moved back to this area. We would eat at Coastal Flats a few times a week. The Delux theater was great and I really thought one here would work out well. It was only like $1.50-$2 more for a ticket but it was so nice. They serve wine and have reserve seating. From my understanding the high end theater segment is the fastest growing segment of the theater market. I can see why. I just put a theater in my house and it will take a lot more now to bring to the movie theaters. As more families stay home to watch movies the theaters have to step up. There is a real dumpy theater by Chesterfield Towne Center that will be out of business right when the one in Westchester opens. That entire area around the Towne Center needs to be fixed up. I live off Robious Road in a new neighborhood and for all the nice homes in this neck of the woods there are far too little nice areas to shop. Westchester Commons won't fill that void either.

"I know it's about a mile away from Westchester, but I've always been frustrated by the "village of Midlothian" because if Chesterfield put even an ounce of effort into it, Midlothian could become a fantastic walkable town with a rich history of rail a mining to boot. It's a perfect spot to have a light rail link to other walkable parts of the region too. That area deserved a village master plan decades ago."

Well, I think you might be giving me false hope. I mean I had a lot of hope for the Westchester project but that turned into a big nothing but I guess I can now dream that one day Chesterfield might do something great with the "Village of Midlothian" area. I met a couple that moved to Salisbury almost 25 years ago and they said that the Village of Midlothian is what attracted them to the area. They had thought the village would have been developed more like you said and there was talk about doing it decades ago but nothing has ever happened.

Edited by NYCJSW