Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

Sorry for the delay in notice, but the Optimist Park Neighborhood Association meeting is December 16th @ 5pm (this Saturday) at 425 E. 17th Street (it is the red door on Caldwell and 17th). This is a new date, and all measures are being taken to inform everyone of this change. This is part of working with older folks who do not realize the importance of consistency. Please be there- this meeting will include nominating people for the board of directors. This will be your chance to nominate yourself or someone else. The positions/ responsibilities will be described first, so that you are informed as to what the position entails. See you there. If you are unable to attend please let a friend/neighbor know so that your voice may be heard. Following this meeting, all future meetings will be held at the Belmont Library @ Parkwood and NoDa. More info. @ the meeting.

Tarik, do you know if cmpd will be attending the meeting? When I reported my car breakin the sounded interested. I was working with Officer Hittle in our zone.

Ask your officer if the planned reduction of 14/15 patrol officers for uptown in January will affect your coverage area. This is a button First, Fourth and Third ward associations are all honing for a coordinated effort to change. Your help will be worth your efforts.

We have met with Major Graham, who is over the East division? He is aware of the situation, and has many creative solutions to remedy our issues. He wants us to get up and running (get 501c3 status), so we can get started working with them. They are quite busy through the holidays, and will not attend the next meeting (which will basically be administrative). This does not mean they won't be patrolling the area. This is everyone's chance to get on the board, and we seek to nominate anyone that is willing to serve. Anyone with the skills and heart to be on the board will be eligible. A question to all: should the "existing" board remain, or should all positions be open? Right now, we have Henry Heath as president, and are not sure if the vice president will remain. Rip Farris is stepping down as treaasurer, and there is no secretary. Another question: should only residents be eligible to be on the board, or should any organization in the neighborhood have a representative that is eligible? These are quite technical issues, but define how we structure our leadership...

Ask your officer if the planned reduction of 14/15 patrol officers for uptown in January will affect your coverage area. This is a button First, Fourth and Third ward associations are all honing for a coordinated effort to change. Your help will be worth your efforts.

Is that 14/15 from Eastway, or North Tryon? Optimist Park will be under the Eastway division come Jan.13, this is why I ask. Thanks for the input 28202!

I will have to check the boundries, I know it is from the center city division...

You may want to consider splitting when the seats are up for election, such as every other year. It helps with continuity when projects or issues span across the election periods.

Also, First, Fourth and Third wards have very strong associations and are very helpful in assisting with structuring and implementing additional associations. They were all over the asphalt plant issue and are always eager to have alliances with the surrounding groups when such organization is necessary. I would encourage you to call on them as needed.

There is an article in the Observer today about the third runway at Charlotte-Douglas. Also, there is a small article on 2D about CSX Intermodal facility. It seems they wanted to move the facility on N. Tryon to Chester County and York County, but the residents protested. Last I heard they wanted to move it to the airport, any news on that? This may be the best time for them to move, since they may be entitled to funds from the airport.

There were a lot of new faces at the meeting, and we are in the process of getting the bylaws edited, so that they can be approved and we can move orward towards 501©(3) status. We need officers (VP, Secretary, and Treasurer) to fill the openings. Once those couple administrative positions get filled, we will have a voice to bring to the city, neighbors, and the county.

That rail yard news point was discussed and clarified here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=646414

CSX is off Brookshire Blvd west of 85. They were looking to move to SC, and have decided to stay in Charlotte. Norfolk-Southern has its intermodal yards in Optimist Park, and they still plan to move those to the airport. But that is only referring to the trucking part, and not the rail yards themselves.

Good luck moving toward 501-3 status. I'd also love to know an update the police district shifts they are planning. That seems like a raw deal for both uptown and OP.

Is this an accurate chart for the new districts?

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Police...+Redistrict.htm

This indicates that the Eastway division, which will include OP after the redistricting, will gain 12 officers and the Central division will only lose 5 officers, not 14 as previously mentioned, and the Central division looks much smaller than it was. (If you click on "New Divisions" it shows the old versus the new divisions.)

I'm so glad they are doing this and I'm so glad they chanced the name! Those look great though they seem to look like most other similar sized projects in and around center city. Great for the area. I'm having a hard time with the site plan...does this include the site with Area 15?

No, Area 15 is on the other side of 15th street. On the site plan you can see Opt12 at the top left corner and the rest of the space in the plan is now occupied with the Urban Stash Warehouse or just empty land.

• 3 weeks later...

Alpha Mills is open for business. Just got the keys yesterday and the place looks awesome. The second mill building is supposed to be finished off within the month and the whole complex should be finished by March. They still have landscaping and finishing off of the parking and interior streets. Narmour Wright did a great job on the interior. Now I just have to get CSX to stop blowing the damn train horn so loud at 3 in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...