Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

Thanks for the recent pics tarik. Looks like progress to meand that area is really starting to come along now! :thumbsup:

The more people who are willing to take great shots the better.

BTW, welcome to UP! :)

A2

Here are some more shots of the Mill! The interior spaces are really cool.

[url="http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m183/redcowboyboots72/Alpha%20Mill/?action=view

The demolition of Piedmont Courts is almost completely done. I was disappointed to see they also cut down all of the large, old trees that were throughout the complex.

Before

240532423_de54a8b8cb_o.jpg

After

240532425_b295d4601a_o.jpg

Both of the above pictures were taken from about the same location on Seigle. Either way, I am glad to see this moving along.

The demolition of Piedmont Courts is almost completely done. I was disappointed to see they also cut down all of the large, old trees that were throughout the complex.

Before

240532423_de54a8b8cb_o.jpg

After

240532425_b295d4601a_o.jpg

Both of the above pictures were taken from about the same location on Seigle. Either way, I am glad to see this moving along.

Tide, thanks for the pics. I had no idea they had cut down all the trees. Makes no sense.

BTW, y'all just squeaked by Vandy yesterday. Tide needs to roll faster!

There is also something called the "Bilbro Condos" in the works.....it would be 225 condo, with all but 10 being market rate across from the 940 Brevard Senior Tax-Credit project currently under construction. Does anyone know any more about this?

Is this the possible Crosland project where the old mill houses were just razed beside Alpha Mill? If so they have plans in the works, it would open some add'l grid streets back up and is what you've heard, seniors housing.

Looks like Tuscan is still focused on rebranding Optimist Park into the new name of "SoDa." On the revised site plan (site plan link) for the lot currently housing the defunct Urban Stash, the architects have name the project "SoDa Lofts". Of course this could change, and I hope it does. They stayed with the Optimist Park name with the Opt12 project, so why try another route with a project on the same exact block?

Rezoning Petition 2006-097

While I don't support the name SoDa because it isn't anywhere near South Davidson, I like the marketing opportunity in conjunction with public art that will go unfulfilled.

I'm imagining several 4-5 foot concrete sculptures of the "old timey" glass soda bottles.....the local bottlers of Coke, Pepsi, and Cheerwine could front the money for their own sculpture. The concrete would be painted to the corresponding color of the repsective soda, and then clad in translucent glass mosaic (perhaps old glass soda bottles), including the detailing for each brand.

While cheesy, I think it could be fun, unique public art that would likely be supported (and paid for) by private companies.....and it would truly create a soda district. :)

Sorry, that's been my little dream for several years since I first hear SoDa.

Edited by atlrvr

I can not express how much I detest the SoDa name. It is NORTH Davidson Street. I don't hate the neighborhood names that mimic SoHo, like NoDa. But it should have a meaning, just like 'South of Houston' does. It is just wrong to coin SoDa for the area. It won't catch on and it is so laughable that it will detract from the serious work he is doing there.

I can not express how much I detest the SoDa name. It is NORTH Davidson Street. I don't hate the neighborhood names that mimic SoHo, like NoDa. But it should have a meaning, just like 'South of Houston' does. It is just wrong to coin SoDa for the area. It won't catch on and it is so laughable that it will detract from the serious work he is doing there.

Why the insistance on renaming the area anyway? Stubborness seems to be a trait for the developer -- no one I have ever heard other than a realtor or two EVER calls this area SoDa. Its moronic, seems to come from no where other than NoDa which at least had a source from the street name.

I live in Soda. Whatever, like you said, no one is going to say they live in a drink.

A couple of years ago some idiot, or group of them, tried to rebrand the Central Avenue, Plaza, Thomas Street area PlaCe for Plaza/Central. Thankfully it died a painful death. I live in Place is actually worse than Soda. But I think The Crossings at Seigle Point is just as crappy. Why keep renaming everything?

Because as a society we like new and fresh, and are concerned with image and perception, and have little sense of community, just a sense of self.

Why invest in the rebirth of community, when you can live in a name that is as new and disposable as a 89 cent razor....besides, when the buyer looks to sell the place in two years, the name might still be just sharp enough to close the deal.

Although, maybe Optimist Park is like soda. It is cold in that people look like they are going to beat you up when you walk by, rather than give a friendly greeting. It is refreshing with the joys of driving a new car when your old one drives away. It has the pleasant sound of pop and fizz when some couple two blocks away starts shooting at each other. It has the saccharin sweetness of the all the Habitat homes built out of love. And it used to be full of cocaine. I guess SoDa fits.