Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

I suspect if Hunter left, we'd have an expensive brownfield to clean up, but I agree with you that converting that land to a human use would be very important for turning around that neighborhood. (Or continuing the positive momentum).

It is unbelieveably good for the neighborhood that the Tuscan projects have been doing okay with sales.

I hope the county gets involved for water quality and add the stream that goes through the Hunter site to the greenway system. It basically connects Little Sugar Creek to the Parkwood near the planned light rail station. But at least it would clean up the environmental tragedy of what is in the stream now. Hunter's jobs are important, but it is really keeping the area back in the dirty industrial past that the area is trying to free itself from.

That is the most articulate way of explaining the effects of Hunter. Thanks for that clear explanation. One of the problems is that Hunter and the Sherriff's department have contracts with eachother. Hunter does not make any initiative to be part of this community, or the community at large. I would love to see all these people (Hunter, etc.) come live here for a month and see what it is like. That may change their minds.

I'm glad Tuscan took the risk here when no one else was really considering it. I wouldn't be surprised if they, or someone else, has already been in talks with the owners of the Hunter site. It is too well located to be so under-used. I'm sure the city would like to see it somewhere else also.

Tuscan has made numerous offers for purchase/relocation. I'm sure this has been discussed previously on this forum (somewhere). I think they got pretty far at one point by offering a similar site in similar proximity to downtown but Hunter backed out at the last minute.

Hunter offered to leave for $40 million. Good luck to them getting that much of a pay-off. The city and county need to make a land-swap deal and also provide a cash stipend, but $40 million is rediculous at this point. We have called water management and they have tested the water quality, but say that there is nothing unusual, or in violation. Someone must be getting paid off...

Wow, $40 million is definitely steep. Is that, maybe the current cost of similar land plus relocation costs? Really, if it just ends up being to rob Peter to pay Paul, then I'd probably not support a move. I wonder why they couldn't separate into two location, one for viable cars that are simply towed from parking spaces uptown, and another for the wrecked cars.

Very cool! I like it. I never ever dreamed that a solid block-filling 5 story complex was going there. This is very good density, and a passable design.

I was picturing more of building like Autumn Place, which is 2-3 story building.

I must say that without all the mill houses, all of the old trees on the block next to 12th Street look great. It looks like a grove of old trees. I wish there was a way to keep it just like that.

Hopefully sooner than later. They told me the move in date was December 15th, now moved it to January 15th for the mill building. I believe the new construction along old Caldwell Street is the last for move in's, sometime in March. The whole thing is supposed to be completed by March, early April but that could change.

With the Norfolk Southern Intermodal Yards likely moving to the airport (not the rail yard, but the part with container storage, and bringing thousands of trucks to Noda and Optimist Park), with Piedmont courts being converted to a mixed income community, and with redevelopment activities already starting, Belmont and Optimist Park are well on their way to becoming viable communities in the 21st Century.

However, there are still some land uses that are holding the community back. One of the largest is the city's Central Yards, 26 acres of storage and maintenance for garbage trucks, police cars, etc. Thankfully, the city is now considering a move of this large industrial land use so that it can be redeveloped.

It extends from Siegel (where the Piedmont Courts redevelopment is) all the way to Hawthorne! So the sale and redevelopment of this land could have a significant impact on the western section of Central Ave, and the southern section of the Belmont neighborhood.

Alpha Mills is opening in phases as construction is completed. The new units on 12th are complete and occupied.

The Optimist Park neighborhood meeting has been rescheduled for the 16th of Dec. (Sat.) at 5:30. It will be held at the 17th street Episcopal Church (the one with the red door). It is open to anyone that would like to participate.

I think once Alpha is open, and the other Tuscan projects are moved in, then you'll have more ability to sick the media on the story, saying the neighborhood is trying to turn around, but is being held back by a stubborn businessman who doesn't care about the neighborhood.

If the city gives them a lot of business, you could maybe petition the city to change towaway providers.

I suppose there are also things one could do to increase their business costs in the neighborhood, but I'm not sure what those would be.

You could also try to figure out who their lender is, and maybe figure out a way to lobby them, especially if it is local.

Has anyone else had a problem with crime in the area? It seems as though crime is running rampant at Duncan Gardens. I've had one break in attempt on my car that was followed up with an actual break in. In talking to HOA and the police, the crime is out of control. We have a car break in about every other day. My car was broke into last Wednesday. Then we saw broken glass from another break in on Saturday. Today a neighbor came by to say her car was broken into.

To my knowledge, the only thing that has happened at Opt12 is a car break in last week. It happened early in the evening, the car alarm went off, several residents went outside and the guy ran away. Apparently he came back later in the evening but was caught in the act again and ran away. The police came both times but there wasn't much they could do after he was gone.

We've had some homeless guys ask for money and a guy trying to sell drugs, but that's it.

Just make sure not to keep anything that might look valuable in your car and the police if you see anything that looks suspicious. Maybe we can come up with some ideas at the Neighborhood Association meeting on Saturday.

Sorry for the delay in notice, but the Optimist Park Neighborhood Association meeting is December 16th @ 5pm (this Saturday) at 425 E. 17th Street (it is the red door on Caldwell and 17th). This is a new date, and all measures are being taken to inform everyone of this change. This is part of working with older folks who do not realize the importance of consistency. Please be there- this meeting will include nominating people for the board of directors. This will be your chance to nominate yourself or someone else. The positions/ responsibilities will be described first, so that you are informed as to what the position entails. See you there. If you are unable to attend please let a friend/neighbor know so that your voice may be heard. Following this meeting, all future meetings will be held at the Belmont Library @ Parkwood and NoDa. More info. @ the meeting.