Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

There are only 50 units available in all. That means that 40 percent of the project will be occupied by former residents.

40 percent is a large number, but I don't think it'll tip the balance too far. The former (i.e., poor) residents will still be in the minority and i would not expect that many of them will be troublemakers if they have gone to the trouble of signing on with this project. If this works as well as First Ward did, as well as other similar attempts at mixed-income communities, the trend might just catch on and start to erode one of the city's most serious social dysfunctions.

I think most social geographers would consider anything greater than 25% as too much "low income" to prevail over time, but like Tarik mentioned, there will be a massive rezoning across the street, and assuming that at least 90% of that is market rate, it should be enough to stabilize the area.

• 1 month later...

Building Permits for 940 Brevard have been issued. Construction on this 100 Unit/4 story Senior Housing project will begin soon. It will be located adjacent to Alpha Mill Apartments. This will serve as replacement housing for some of the current residents of Hall House.

A large percentage of those not relocated to 940 Brevard will be offered Prosperity Church; a nice project as well albeit more suburban, then other locations, and lastly vouchers. CHA got a bit of a bum rap on how that whole thing is being handled. They need to create more opportunities for those in need. A private developer would see the opportunity they see. Sell the outmoded stuff that sits on inordinately valuable land and try to create more units from the capital that is released.

Site work for Bloc90 has begun. Urban Stash will be coming down in a week or two. Another project, 15th Street Condos is underway. It is located next to the basketball court at the end of 15th Street and Myers. This project is directly on the greenway. Both are worth coming down and walking around, although 15th Street is now fenced off. Things are changing quickly...

They are willing to sell their 7 acres for $40 million. When they go, it seems all the other industrial uses will choose to sell. The city has tried in the past by giving them land on Tom Hunter Rd. in the university, but that initiative failed, and Hunter still got the land. When we can find the right buyer, or when the time is right that the land is worth the asking price, they will leave. Until then, we can only find violations against them. They have been in contact though, and are atleast communicating now.

Well, that dirt is infused with a decades worth of oil drippings. With oil at 70$ per barrel, it might account for the extra value.

I do hope the price comes down to something reasonable and that they do leave. It really sets quite a bad tone for the area.

There will be an Optimist Park "gathering" tomorrow, Thursday May 24 at 514 E. 15th Street from 6:00-8:00. It will be an open-forum to gain insight into what people are looking for in the neighborhood association. There will be refreshments and childcare. Hope to see you there! Sorry for the late notice...

There will be an Optimist Park "gathering" tomorrow, Thursday May 24 at 514 E. 15th Street from 6:00-8:00. It will be an open-forum to gain insight into what people are looking for in the neighborhood association. There will be refreshments and childcare. Hope to see you there! Sorry for the late notice...

Hey Tarik. We could not make thursday's meeting. Will someone be sending out meeting minutes?

We will send out the minutes through our mailing list early next week. We are asking for nominations for the board positions. there will be a vote on july 26th for the positions. there will also be a "gala" in june for the neighborhood. henry heath will play his trumpet, there will be an art show, and food. cost is $5 for adults and $2 for kids. proceeds will go towards the neighborhood association.

Optimist Park came from a baseball field, as far as I have heard. It'd also be cool to rename it 'Alpha Park' or 'Alpha' or 'Cotton Park'. Given the McGill's commitment to the neighborhood, and their recent death, it might be a good thing to start a movement to rename the area after them, either just 'McGill' or 'McGill Park'.

I think the branding of 'Optimist Park' is very much tainted. It would be very good for the area to be renamed, as long as it is a name that ties it to its history.

Does anyone have information about the Louise Mill (at Hawthorne). It appears there are a few artisans that run their businesses from there. Any news of converting/rehab for that mill?

I looked at that Mill recently but could not figure out what to make of it. Its an interesting old building with exposed wood beams on the inside and at least half of the building is salvageable. The owner started renovation at one point trying to make it a office/retail/restaurant center and figured out in the middle of the process that his numbers would not work as it was going to cost too much to renovate with the low lease rates in this area.

But I hate the city's garbage truck parking lot next door and the industrial building across the street, which makes it somewhat unattractive for full scale redevelopment.

The land price is high. What do you guys think about this site? What would work here?

B

Edited by brian7270

ARRRRGH! I just read through all 22 pages of this post trying to learn about Siegle Point, little did I know that the only info was on THIS FREAKIN' page! (where DOES the "e" go? sEigle point, siEgle point, siegEl point, seigEl point, seigle pointE, siegle pointE, siegel pointE, seigel pointE?! :unsure: )

My guard is now up, update on the crime statistics for this area? Anyone? I read about car break-ins, and so forth, have things stablized at all?

EDIT: to save anyone else the trouble . . . http://www.seiglepoint.com/

rendering_full.jpg

Edited by The Escapists

But I hate the city's garbage truck parking lot next door and the industrial building across the street, which makes it somewhat unattractive for full scale redevelopment.

I thought I heard that the city was going to be relocating their facilities here to somewhere else in the city. They also have a bunch of their maintenance shops for vehicles and the CATS bus lots in addition to the garbage trucks.

ARRRRGH! I just read through all 22 pages of this post trying to learn about Siegle Point, little did I know that the only info was on THIS FREAKIN' page! (where DOES the "e" go? sEigle point, siEgle point, siegEl point, seigEl point, seigle pointE, siegle pointE, siegel pointE, seigel pointE?! :unsure: )

My guard is now up, update on the crime statistics for this area? Anyone? I read about car break-ins, and so forth, have things stablized at all?

EDIT: to save anyone else the trouble . . . http://www.seiglepoint.com/

Crime has gone down tremendously ever since they tore down Piedmont Courts but it's still a pretty rough area. If I was going for a walk at night in this area I would either have a large dog with me or a weapon. It's spelled Seigle by the way.

Edited by Raintree21

The relocation of the City Yards is not decided yet. The city is hemming and hawing, as they don't want to spend the money, or risk a lot of operational change for their departments. It has come up a number of times, but still no clean decision on it (unless I missed something). But it seems that this is more momentum around it in the current council than before, as I think they have target land near the airport.

The relocation of the City Yards is not decided yet. The city is hemming and hawing, as they don't want to spend the money, or risk a lot of operational change for their departments. It has come up a number of times, but still no clean decision on it (unless I missed something). But it seems that this is more momentum around it in the current council than before, as I think they have target land near the airport.

Yeah, I think that with the surge of redevelopment, the city council will definitely be in favor of relocating it in order to keep the momentum going. With the new CATS HQ on South Tryon, couldn't that relocate the buses? Then, with all the city owned land out Wilkinson Blvd, there ought to be something suitable. What about all the land that the airport bought due to houses being in the way of overhead flights (for noise control)? Who cares if industrial stuff is there?

Well they haven't done it in an accomodating manner that seems to support what momentum is there. Specifically the reluctance to relocate the facilities, Bus storage at davidson included pushed the $100 mil Krock center to other locations. A very short sited and mistaken stand in my opinion.