Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

One more vote for Lufthansa. I did a Charlotte>Frankfurt>Berlin run this summer that had both USAirways and Lufthansa legs. The USA F/A's were rude and unhelpful. Lufthansa tripped all over themselves to help their customers. Although we were in an older Lufthansa A300, it was immaculate and the interior seemed brand-new. I can't say the same for USA's A330 - it was just OK.

For me, comfort always varies from plane to plane. Chicago to O'hare to Tokyo on an old United 747 was awful. Tokyo to Hong Kong an a newer United 777 was heaven. This summer I flew Delta to Puerto Rico, and the flights from CLT to ATL and back on their recently renovated 737-800s was nice. ATL to SJU on an old 757 sucked. The main thing is having the in seat LCD TVs. For me, that makes or breaks a flight. Oh, and JFK to CLT on Jetblue gets two thumbs up!

While in Maastricht, visit Utrech, my favorite inland Dutch city. It is only 20 kilometers from Amsterdam and much more Dutch. I am at the point in my life where I only go to Amsterdam to have an Indonesian meal. You are a lucky person to get to study in Holland. They are the best people on earth (besides Charlotteans). Oh yea, try to make it to Brugge. It was always my favorite get away from London. Now I have a strong urge for fries with mayonaise on top and Mussels.

Hopefully I'll be able to make it up to Utrecht. What do you mean by "more Dutch"?

Yeah I'm really excited to go abroad to the Netherlands. I'm actually going to Bruges on a 6 day study trip right after I arrive in Europe. The other stops include Brussels, Versailles, Paris, Reims, Luxembourg, and Bastogne.

Not to turn this into a discussion on The Netherlands, but Amerstam is really international, with large Indonesian immigrant populations as well as many western ex-pats. It is also very touristy, and Americanized, for example there is a "USA Beach Club" bar. They also really "push" the sex and pot industries. In other words, its an interesting place to visit as a tourist, and though the city has tried to separate the tourist sections from the classical residential districts, you don't get that feeling of true Dutch culture. I haven't been to Utrecht, but I personally enjoy Den Hague, which is one of my favorite cities from a pedestrian and transit standpoint, and even though it is a very international city as well, it is much more "Dutch".

I just flew from Charlotte to Frankfurt and then to Bahrain a few weeks ago. I flew US from Charlotte to Frankfurt, and then Lufthansa to Bahrain. I was in business class - I have flow US coach before, but not Lufthansa, so I can't compare there. I must say that the US amenities, entertainment system, and most noticeably, the food, was much better than Lufthansa. Not that either was a bad experience, but it was in business class. The food on US just blew my mind - I've flown international business class before, but I didn't get an actually well-cooked medium-rare filet, or prociutto-wrapped asparagus, or a nice array of international cheeses, or some extremely tasty desserts. In my previous experiences in business class, the food -- no matter what airline except for Qatar Airways (#1 in my book) -- has still been airplane food, if you know what I mean.

As for the previous comment on United as a preferred international carrier, I am stunned by that comment. I have never flown United to Europe, but nothing is more torture than a 14-hour United flight to Tokyo where you only have the 13" TVs in the ceiling playing a single crappy movie to keep you entertained. United is the only airline that I have flown without an entertainment sytem of some sort actually in the seat back in front of you where you can select more than one movie in coach. I have flown internationally in coach on ANA, US, Alitalia, Air Canada, Qatar Airways, Gulf Air, SAS, Lufthansa, United, British Airways, Continental, and Singapore...but United has been the only one I've experienced to slack on the entertainment.

I work for US and do think that our biz class is a decent product, but the majority of people never fly up front, they're trapped like sardines in the back. Our 330s are decent planes and when the digital entertainment system works (it's on a Windows platform and freezes up constantly), it's an average product at best.

I think LH is far better in Economy Class, hands down. And the A340 is a really nice plane. Now if you want to fly like they did back in the 1960s and enjoy lots of glamor and great food, fly Emirates to Dubai. Their coach product is better than most Business Class products on any carrier flying.

..... Our 330s are decent planes and when the digital entertainment system works (it's on a Windows platform and freezes up constantly), it's an average product at best.

Indeed. This happened to me on the one time I used USA for an overseas flight. Died about 30 minutes into a 9 hour flight. I personally rather fly on a Boeing 777 over a 747 or the Airbus series of planes. My guess is there won't be any 747's in Charlotte's future that will be providing routine service. (getting back to the topic at hand)

As for the previous comment on United as a preferred international carrier, I am stunned by that comment. I have never flown United to Europe, but nothing is more torture than a 14-hour United flight to Tokyo where you only have the 13" TVs in the ceiling playing a single crappy movie to keep you entertained. United is the only airline that I have flown without an entertainment sytem of some sort actually in the seat back in front of you where you can select more than one movie in coach. I have flown internationally in coach on ANA, US, Alitalia, Air Canada, Qatar Airways, Gulf Air, SAS, Lufthansa, United, British Airways, Continental, and Singapore...but United has been the only one I've experienced to slack on the entertainment.

Yeah, the flight to Tokyo was the same for me. This was back several years ago. The sound wouldn't work and the CRT TVs were fuzzy. The fight I had from Tokyo to Hong Kong, however, was on a fairly new 777 that was worlds better. It was my first flight that had in seat entertainment in coach. And the service was better.

First off US is finally experementing with IFE on a A320 Aircraft which it is being install atm. So they are finally doing something for the coach passengers! Secondly i believe British Airways could operate clt-lhr and have 2 completely different passenger bases.....Ba would attract loyal One World buisness men from around the world too charlotte, while people flying from the USA loyal to US would connect through Charlotte too london on US. The Star Alliance loyals would still fly around the world Clt-fra,muc as well. The only overlapping passengers would be the 10 or 20 each day who just fly from clt-lon. Therefore i do not see why Ba couldn't operate a daily 763 or maybe a 3 or 4 weekly 777.

Edited by CltFlyer

^Again, we're "experimenting". Nothing is for sure at this point. And in true US fashion, it's "a la carte" service. If you want to use it, you're going to have to pay for it.
when if it is released what aircraft will it be on and how much will it cost...................and are u going to add ptvs on 767-200s and 757 etops in coach class anytime soon? Edited by CltFlyer

I flew thru CLT over the holidays and I gotta say that the terminal is on the cramped side for having so many connecting flights go thru the airport... so are there any future plans for expansion of the terminal?

Personally I feel that US Airways, and probably other domestics as well, have totally given up on the coach passenger and improving their experience. They focus on the first/business customer and all future improvements will be made there.

Ditto. I flew with them on said trip, and the transition from international to domestic is as stark as it has ever been... pretty much a lousy way to get back home. I don't think I saw a single order placed for any food or drinks either, and that was on a 5 hour cross-country flight. I think passengers have completely adjusted and accepted that it's going to suck, so they are ready for it.

I flew thru CLT over the holidays and I gotta say that the terminal is on the cramped side for having so many connecting flights go thru the airport... so are there any future plans for expansion of the terminal?
http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...5213&page=1

We'll see what Goober, er, um, I mean Jerry Orr does with the plans.

Singapore Airlines has hands down the best service I have ever experienced. A little biased since I was born in their hometown but many rankings have borne it out. Don't think they are connecting to Douglas anytime soon though. Changi is such a nice airport people go there to shop and go to the spa with no plans to fly anywhere.

Singapore Airlines has hands down the best service I have ever experienced. A little biased since I was born in their hometown but many rankings have borne it out. Don't think they are connecting to Douglas anytime soon though. Changi is such a nice airport people go there to shop and go to the spa with no plans to fly anywhere.

I agree...they treat you like business class even in coach. I have had nothing but great experiences with Singapore Airlines. Changi Airport is very nice as well. It would of course be nice if they did have service to CLT, because of the Star Alliance relation, but I have a feeling if they had a choice of a US Airways destination, it would be service to PHL because there are more international connections. The only Star Alliance hubs they service right now int he US are LAX and SFO with United.