Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Speaking of that, there is a controversial proposal for AA and British Airways to link up as one airline though there would still be two companies involved. It will require approval from the government and is very controversial. All of these airlines competitors are complaining that it will give the resulting airline the ability to force competitors out of the cross Atlantic air traffic business. (I presume that means USA too.)

Speaking of that, there is a controversial proposal for AA and British Airways to link up as one airline though there would still be two companies involved. It will require approval from the government and is very controversial. All of these airlines competitors are complaining that it will give the resulting airline the ability to force competitors out of the cross Atlantic air traffic business. (I presume that means USA too.)

American, British Airways and Iberia. The joke is something like ... American will handle the PR, BA will handle the catering and Iberia will fly the planes (but not between 2pm and 4pm).

Joking aside, analysts expect both Delta-Air France (already a partnership mirroring that of AA/BA/IB) to become more formidable as a partnership after it completes its purchase of Northwest (which is already in a similar partnership with KLM) and "United-Lufthansa" (and Continental, who should join that partnership soon) to balance the American-British-Iberia partnership. What I think is interesting (and relevant to your comment) is that no analysts are saying anything about USAir's place in the Lufthansa-United-Continental venture. As we know US is already part of Star, (in fact all of the "partnerships" or "ventures" referred-to above are incestuous among existing alliances (One World, Skyteam, Star) but these inter-airline ventures are much more closely-knit than the alliances are.

If US gets left without a dance partner, its long-term viability is bleak, in my opinion. For the short term, however, they can only benefit from increased market prices for the routes that are its most profitable.

Charlotte/Douglas is planning a massive $400 million overhaul of the airport ....

About damn time. The ticketing/baggage terminal area is very outdated and cramped. I think when the new terminal opens later this year at RDU people will be asking why our terminal looks like crap and RDU has a shiny new architectural gem. Good to see the Jerry Orr is at least coming up with a plan.

One possibility I think they should look at for CLT is a large glass canopy that connects the new parking deck with the ticketing terminal similar to Portland International Airport.

1_lg.jpg

This would serve the practical purpose of providing cover from the elements for people loading/unloading their cars and walking to/from the parking deck...but it would also make a nice architectural statement that the current airport is lacking.

More (and better) pics of the Portland Airport canpoy can be found on the architect's website:

http://www.zgf.com/pages/zgf_main.php?navloc=work

Click on The Work -> Public/Civic -> Portland International Airport

I met my dad at the baggage claim for a few hours on a layover, and I was disgusted with how it felt and looked down there. The ceilings were so low that it made everything feel more cramped than it had to, which is not pleasant when you have hundreds of people filling up the baggage claim. I'd also expect that there would be some security concerns with this. TV's, 70's flooring, lighting, and the baggage displays are embarrassing, especially for people coming in from outside of the US. The airport currently doesn't reflect the city it sits in (which is a very manicured, money filled, high profile small international city). I'm happy to see a large investment (400 million) to invest because I think it needs every penny of it. Sadly, the new parking decks are my favorite part of the airport (and Queen Charlotte). There is no architectural style to the building. I've been to a few that have architecture reminiscent of airplanes and aerodynamics. I'd love to see more glass, more fancy lighting, and a complete gut job in the basement, erghh baggage claim. LCD's are standard in todays time, and I'd like to see some technology that is brand spankin' new that hasn't been installed in other airports, sending out a lasting wow factor for passing visitors.

2012?! Well, what are we waiting for, they better start moving!

Edited by Andyc545

I met my dad at the baggage claim for a few hours on a layover, and I was disgusted with how it felt and looked down there. The ceilings were so low that it made everything feel more cramped than it had to, which is not pleasant when you have hundreds of people filling up the baggage claim. I'd also expect that there would be some security concerns with this. TV's, 70's flooring, lighting, and the baggage displays are embarrassing, especially for people coming in from outside of the US. The airport currently doesn't reflect the city it sits in (which is a very manicured, money filled, high profile small international city). I'm happy to see a large investment (400 million) to invest because I think it needs every penny of it. Sadly, the new parking decks are my favorite part of the airport (and Queen Charlotte). There is no architectural style to the building. I've been to a few that have architecture reminiscent of airplanes and aerodynamics. I'd love to see more glass, more fancy lighting, and a complete gut job in the basement, erghh baggage claim. LCD's are standard in todays time, and I'd like to see some technology that is brand spankin' new that hasn't been installed in other airports, sending out a lasting wow factor for passing visitors.

2012?! Well, what are we waiting for, they better start moving!

Whats sad is every time I smell diesel smoke (anywhere in the WORLD), I immediately think of the baggage claim at CLT. It must be one of those strong associations that have been imprinted in my brain.

agree that the baggage claim basement is an embarrassment....the time it takes bags to arrive there is also an embarrassment. I've waited an hour the last 2 times I've flown in. Don't really see how they can raise the ceilings and/or make that area larger without adding on to the main terminal.

According to an article in ariportbusiness.com, USA will add international detination(s) to its PHL hub.

I wonder what this would mean for any expansion of USA international flights from CLT?

Please find link to artilce:

http://www.airportbusiness.com/online/arti...=1&id=22071

Edited by Shakman

I wonder how they will do the expansion?

I would like to see something like the Terminal 2 at MUC / Terminal 5 at LHR / whole HKG Airport or even something unique like T4 in Madrid (see below)

800px-Barajas_interior5.JPG

Barajas_interior1.JPG

Obviously our Airport is way behind all of them and it might be impossible to renovate/expand it like that.

What would you guys like to see?

Edited by brad_clt

If only Wikipedia was reliable resource...sigh.Right now someone has put in that beginging October 2nd Lufthansa starts Fra-clt that would be nice but probably not true.

Doesn't Lufthansa already offer direct flights to and from Frankfurt? At least their website timetable shows one. Although I guess that would still technically make Wikipedia unreliable.

Doesn't Lufthansa already offer direct flights to and from Frankfurt? At least their website timetable shows one. Although I guess that would still technically make Wikipedia unreliable.

They already do. As a matter of fact, the service was upgraded to a larger aircraft due to higher than expected demand.

On my weekly walk to the CLT terminal, I noticed that they are now running hybrid buses for long term (and I think, daily) parking. Anyone know when the airport started this? How much more efficient are these buses?

About a year ago. I think they use about 1/2 of the gas of their other shuttle buses. The added bonus is the manufacturer, Designline, is HQ in Charlotte.

Charlotte seems to attract the worst of the worst when it comes to big companies these days and now the Consumerist has ranked USAir as #1 worst offender when it comes to attaching additional fees onto its customers while at the same time cutting out the service. See the article here. At the same time the flight attendants union accuses US Airways turning the airline into "flying vending machines". They have this on their website. They say this kind of activity is detracting from passenger safety as well as pissing off flyers who are already pissed off when they get on the plane.

Despite the forecasts of the people pushing for spending $100s of millions to expand the airport, I still wonder how much of this is going to be needed when the the airline that holds the monopoly for service there, is doing so much to piss off and chase away its customers.

Looking at the flickr shot of clt if all goes like the old master plan says then a 3rd Councourse e wing will be made and the connector to D will be destroyed and a underground walkway to a seperate terminal will be but in place......i don't know if thats still the plan.

Edited by CltFlyer

• 2 weeks later...

Something just poped up in my mind! Why don't they use the new land between the new runway (currently under construction) and 18R/36L to build the extension or something in between (maybe the proposed international terminal).

It could also be used to build a new terminal 2 which might even be less expensive than renovating the old one for 400M$. The planes that are landing/departing on the new runway also wouldn't have to taxi all the way back to the "old" terminal and probably disrupt flights landing/arriving on 18R/36L.

Edited by brad_clt