Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

I didn't know Boeing and CO were putting blended winglets on the 735's...looks SWEET!

Airtran is fitting all their 737-76Ns & 7BDs with winglets, though I think the mostly fly the 717-231 to CLT. I flew from CLT to ATL on a Delta 737-800 with the new winglets (and new interior) and they looked HUGE from inside the plane.

Edited by InitialD

Airtran is fitting all their 737-76Ns & 7BDs with winglets, though I think the mostly fly the 717-231 to CLT. I flew from CLT to ATL on a Delta 737-800 with the new winglets (and new interior) and they looked HUGE from inside the plane.

Now that I have began flying more, I can join in on the airport lingo fun. All the AirTran's that I have seen and flown from and to CLT are 717's. Also I noticed that in May, AirTran is getting a CLT-ORL flight, which was published in their in-air magazine.

Now that I have began flying more, I can join in on the airport lingo fun. All the AirTran's that I have seen and flown from and to CLT are 717's. Also I noticed that in May, AirTran is getting a CLT-ORL flight, which was published in their in-air magazine.

Yup, Airtran will add ORL to their BWI & ATL flights from Charlotte in may. Probably with the 717 but I'd love to see their 737s in CLT. Also, in June they are starting service from Asheville to ORL as well.

Getting technical here but ORL = Orlando Executive Airport...and Airtran doesn't fly there. They fly to MCO = Orlando International.

None the less always good to see competition on routes from Charlotte.

:wacko: I was thought he was talking about Paris. (Paris Orly - ORY)

Getting technical here but ORL = Orlando Executive Airport...and Airtran doesn't fly there. They fly to MCO = Orlando International.

None the less always good to see competition on routes from Charlotte.

Sorry- that's what I meant. Specifically, it's good to see low cost carriers add flights to CLT.

Sorry- that's what I meant. Specifically, it's good to see low cost carriers add flights to CLT.

While I don't think there will be many, if any, new destinations opened up by the Orlando route, it at least adds more options. Now with AirTran when flying to San Juan, for example, you can go CLT-ATL-SJU or CLT-MCO-SJU

While looking at a microsoft windows live map i wonder what how many gates can hold a international widebody flight at the same time.......at first glance it appears D1 and D2 could both hold a 762 at the same time while the daily 333 at d3 blocks up D5 but D 7 could hold a 762 or 330 and a combination of this and the 333 at d 11 would block off d9 D13 appears howeve to be able to hold up to a 330 even with 330 in both gates beside it. D 8 and D 10 look like the can handle a 762 each with a 330 in d 12 also how close is this.

I've heard a rumor that ANA (All Nippon) might be considering a flight to CLT once it gets it's 787 fleet. Has anyone heard anything about this.

Where did you hear this? I always thought that would be a good Star Alliance codeshare flight to feed the Southeast to Japan and compete with DL at ATL. The problem has always been aircraft size; however the 787 would probably be a good fit.

• 2 weeks later...

The new Clt-Paris flight started yesterday....departs from Gate D12....(imagine how busy the end of D is now around 4-5pm)....here are some photos from the Charlotte Obeservor. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/galleries...ery/678321.html

What equipment are they using for this flight? A330, B767? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Yeah, I just looked it up. Boeing 767-200 arriving at CLT 15:35 and departing for CDG at 16:30. Not a long turnaround.

Man, those puppies are getting old. I was on the inaugural return flight of the first Charlotte-Frankfurt flight in something like 1992. That flight was a 767-200. I'll bet these planes are really showing their age.

I think the last time US Airways flew to Paris, it was an A330 wasn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

Last week City Council awarded the contract to install new overhead directional signs at the Airport. This means that the old brown overhead "Departures" and "Arrivals" signs on the roads that have been there since the early 80s will be replaced with new signs that will hopefully be easier to read and better at directing.

Edited by uptownliving

Last week City Council awarded the contract to install new overhead directional signs at the Airport. This means that the old brown overhead "Departures" and "Arrivals" signs on the roads that have been there since the early 80s will be replaced with new signs that will hopefully be easier to read and better at directing.

So when are they going to wake up and improve the signs on Wilkinson Blvd. coming from 485. There is a huge Airport exit sign on 485 for Wilkinson, then nothing except one of the cute little airplane directional signs at Little Rock. And while they're at it, they can call out NCDOT for the pathetic airport signage on 77.

I sure wouldn't want to be a visitor in this city with a rental car, trying to find the airport!