THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

On 9/25/2020 at 7:27 PM, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Once upon a time this was Abney's Music Center (I couldn't find an actual photo). I spent many weekends there (in my younger days) and Ronnie (and company) where the nicest folks you could imagine. They greeted me by my name every time I entered that building. I bought a few guitars, mixers and multitrack recorders there back in the day...and the bear mosaics (on the exterior) are the stuff of legend. Great memories. Cheers.

sPEvAId.jpg

I bought then sold on consignment, a guitar there back in the 80's.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I bought then sold on consignment, a guitar there back in the 80's.

Those were good people who owned that place and worked there. The influx of big corporate stores (aka Mars Music/Sam Ash) did them in. I still miss that store....it was like walking into a local bar but with guitars and basses and drums and mixers, etc everywhere.  It felt like a family home...because it was. Days gone bye, I reckon. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 2

I never went there when it was Abney’s but remember it from the days as Bill Baer’s. On one of my birthdays, we went to Shakey’s Pizza (just up Mills a few blocks and one of the first national pizza chains in town) and then went to Baer’s to buy my first record player. His commercials referred to him as “Mr. Color TV”, so of course we got our first one of those also, in 1967.

On 9/4/2020 at 1:02 PM, elefants said:

Tank delivery

20200903_151930.jpg

Driving by today it appears 7-11 is back open and changed the signage yesterday again.  This time the sign on the corner is much smaller with a dark brown border where the old sign used to be.  Similarly to what they did with Curry Ford/Bumby.  IMO it looks tacked on and hideous.

image.png.c01083f9274cbef7b13f678fc07dacd3.pngvs image.png.6768272ed773dbf9933e78eb7fdbf90f.png

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Angles 

D2E637E8-53E8-4A30-B62E-8E282F1E9BAE.jpeg

Nice angle to showcase some of the parking lot and landscaping improvements on this site, but does anyone know the reason for this?  Over a year ago a few small perimeter utility buildings were added and for the past year it seemed they did a lot of unnecessary, expensive and time consuming excavation and landscaping to get where we are now.  Although it is nice, (not real nice) it just seemed like a lot of wasted money on that corner for a parking lot and landscape refresh.

I believe the reworking of the entrances gave them better flow through the lot for commercial vehicles which was badly needed and added a few parking spots as well as put gates in so you couldn't just enter into the parking lot.    They had already reworked the parking lot north of Robinson and the Garage Entrance too.

Edited by codypet

• 2 weeks later...

African Rainbow Lizard (agama) that have established a colony around the NE corner of Lake Eola at the bridge along the path. These are an invasive species, but they sure look cool!  A lot bigger in real life, the largest I have seen was probably about 8-10" long. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agama_agama

20201113_123929.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

African Rainbow Lizard (agama) that have established a colony around the NE corner of Lake Eola at the bridge along the path. These are an invasive species, but they sure look cool!  A lot bigger in real life, the largest I have seen was probably about 8-10" long. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agama_agama

20201113_123929.jpg

Several people have contacted the City to have them removed (killed). Com. Sheehan said she'd get it done, but so far nothing.

The State has issued a kill on sight directive. My neighbor is thinking of using them for bow practice.

• Thanks 1

I mean, I don't kill anything on site.  (is it sight or site?) 

I just notice   first. 

I have noticed the lizards and they are very aggresive so not a good neighbor. 

Then again, the city seems to like swans around the lake, that are likely not native distribution.  I think the native birds are rather put out by the swan objective. 

When you see that Ibis creepin'  

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I love this perspective. It looks like a whole different downtown.

Other than Miami, Orlando is the only other city in Florida where it’s difficult to get the downtown in one capture up close unless you go up. And by close I mean within two miles. I know from 4 to 10 miles out you can get great shots. So I just try to find angles!

Also

No idea what this building is but I love it’s exterior.

5F915E84-4E81-4B64-B3AB-2E49EDA382C2.jpeg

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Other than Miami, Orlando is the only other city in Florida where it’s difficult to get the downtown in one capture up close unless you go up. And by close I mean within two miles. I know from 4 to 10 miles out you can get great shots. So I just try to find angles!

Also

No idea what this building is but I love it’s exterior.

5F915E84-4E81-4B64-B3AB-2E49EDA382C2.jpeg

That’s the old Rutland’s building at Orange and Washington (SE corner). One of our best deco buildings , especially since Bulldozer Buddy took out McCrory’s. It was an upscale clothing store.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...