THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, codypet said:

Where is that shot?  From the Omni/Marriott?

I think its from a chopper...

it's from that angle, more or less, but it is too high up to be from any downtown hotel...

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Mid 80's. 

'84 to '85 probably. 

that's back when DTO was growing at a steady clip.  Around this time or shortly thereafter, DuPont was built and then Sunbank a couple of years later.  I bet you people at the time were thinking that type of construction would continue at the same rate, with buildings eclipsing each other in height regularly... now fast forward 40 or so years to the present in The DeLorean and you would be shocked that Sunbank would still be the tallest with only two other buildings coming close: OC Cthse and Vue.

Here's something I've never seen before, the "Morgan" Building, Signature Plaza, and the "Silver" Building all u/c at the same time.  There was a warehouse across the street on Central from the silver building that they tore down.

1 DTO 1980's 2.jpg

• Like 3

The warehouse was the old Barr Display and Fixture building.

Can't find a later picture of it, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it in some other pictures.

There was a local theater group in it for awhile in the 80's with an entrance on Gertrude's Walk.  

If you look very closely at the building in that picture ^^^ you can see the vertical Barr sign in the middle of the facade.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jrs2 said:

1 DTO 1986.jpg

I remember when the right side of this photo was the downtown skyline! (And when they built “Barnett Plaza” to the left)

Edited by jliv
  • Like 1