Norfolk History

wrldcoupe4

I urge extreme caution here. While this particular building has lost its cornice, and very likely most (or all) of its original interiors, Norfolk has already lost so much of its historic fabric that each new proposed demolition must be taken very seriously. This building may not be worth lying down in front of the bulldozer for, but (as with the doomed Ikon Building) it ought to be taken as an object-lessson in preservation for the City. There are relatively few buildings in Norfolk which would stand the test of being architecturally "great." I realize that this building is as good as gone, but I'd like to see more concern for its loss. Not the loss itself, but what it represents in a city hell-bent upon rebuilding itself. I don't dislike most of the new buildings. In many cases, they are indeed better than what was there before. I would simply not like to see Norfolk lose any more layers of its evident history.

I urge extreme caution here. While this particular building has lost its cornice, and very likely most (or all) of its original interiors, Norfolk has already lost so much of its historic fabric that each new proposed demolition must be taken very seriously. This building may not be worth lying down in front of the bulldozer for, but (as with the doomed Ikon Building) it ought to be taken as an object-lessson in preservation for the City. There are relatively few buildings in Norfolk which would stand the test of being architecturally "great." I realize that this building is as good as gone, but I'd like to see more concern for its loss. Not the loss itself, but what it represents in a city hell-bent upon rebuilding itself. I don't dislike most of the new buildings. In many cases, they are indeed better than what was there before. I would simply not like to see Norfolk lose any more layers of its evident history.

I totally agree, it sickens me to know what the city lost where the mall currently sits. Norfolk has had a history of destroying its past. But with this building, I think it is more a sign from nature that the building needs to come down. Of course with every historical building in the city, or just every old building should be looked at first as if it can be reused before being torn down. I think Norfolk needs to focus more on saving what they have as they continue to build for the future.

Just what did the city tear down where the mall is now. It would be interesting to see some pics.

There is a book that you can get in Hampton Roads, or at least should still be able to. It is a history of Norfolk, they have them on all the different parts of the region. It has a few shots of what use to sit in that area before becoming parking lots, then a mall.

At the corner of Monticello and City Hall where the corner of the mall is now, use to be the Market building for the city. It was a long wood A frame building. Quite amazing. Much of the buildings that were there were 2-5 story brick buildings. I can't remember if there was anything taller than that, but combined with the street pattern that use to be there, it was and would be today a bit of a maze of urban architecture. Oh the mistakes past leaders have made that we are then forced to live with.

:lol: Finally got there, Spiker!

But that's not the building I'm thinking of. "Mine" was sort of shaped like a ship with a curved facade at the corner of Monticello and City Hall, was blue (I think) in color and had plant growth decoratively hanging from it. Maybe I'm making this up, but it sure sticks in my memory.

:lol: Finally got there, Spiker!

But that's not the building I'm thinking of. "Mine" was sort of shaped like a ship with a curved facade at the corner of Monticello and City Hall, was blue (I think) in color and had plant growth decoratively hanging from it. Maybe I'm making this up, but it sure sticks in my memory.

You just described the world trade center, it's across from Suntrust. It's not at the corner of city hall and plume though, it's on Boush street. It is blue, has plants hanging from it, and its curve fits the bend of the road.

I was in MacArthur Center yesterday. I went into the soon-to-be-closed Waldens Books and there was woman signing/selling her new book, "Ghent". Obviously, the history of Ghent.

While in the store, I heard a woman ask the author, "What is the book about". The author simply said, "Ghent". :rofl:

BTW, EQ3 is still under construction. I peaked through the cracks and the place seemed just about set up. I saw all or most of the furniture in place and still heard the sound of drills or cordless screwdrivers wailing away.

I was in MacArthur Center yesterday. I went into the soon-to-be-closed Waldens Books and there was woman signing/selling her new book, "Ghent". Obviously, the history of Ghent.

While in the store, I heard a woman ask the author, "What is the book about". The author simply said, "Ghent". :rofl:

BTW, EQ3 is still under construction. I peaked through the cracks and the place seemed just about set up. I saw all or most of the furniture in place and still heard the sound of drills or cordless screwdrivers wailing away.

I almost went in MacArthur yesterday morning but aborted the mission when I saw a traffic jam in all directions around the building trying to get into the parking garage. :lol: Perhaps i'll try again this afternoon.

I almost went in MacArthur yesterday morning but aborted the mission when I saw a traffic jam in all directions around the building trying to get into the parking garage. :lol: Perhaps i'll try again this afternoon.

When I was living in the area and I encountered such a condition I would just park on the street nearby. On weekends the meters used to be free (are they still?) and I could always find a spot on Bank Street between Main and Plume.

The old Armory building sat on that site before the Maritime Tower (Rennert Building) was built. The Rennert Building contained a Hot Shoppes diner in front, the Maritime Tower, a multi-level parking garage ans a J.C. Penney department store. The tower had only two elevators (Westinghouse) and needed three. It was Norfolk's tallest and most modern appearing building, but it lacked style and quality detailing. It reminds me a bit of the "ship" building proposal near the hospital complex. Had the Old Armory been preserved, it might have made for a nice component of the Mac Arthur Mall.

The preservation battle is probably lost for the old Bankers Trust, but others are also endangered. I'm afraid that people may overlook the Kirn library and the Radisson Hotel in their zeal to crush anything from the 1950s, which was an era that gave us function, simplicity and a light and open look. OK, it also came with asbestos.

Thanks for the info Padman, I knew the story went something like that, but have yet to find my book that I have been looking for.....lost in the world of moving boxes for now.

No city should of ever torn down their Armory for any reason, for most small and mid size cities, it is usually one of the best pieces of architecture.

I have to stand on the other side of the fence though Padman, when it comes to Norflok and the 50's. I think that era was a mistake for the city where they wrecklessly attacked their own city and architecture and would be more than happy to see those mistakes replaced with something that deserves better respect. But I don't want to see any of them torn down to be replaced with parking lots cause that would just be repeating the mistakes of the past. Although there is a couple exceptions from the 50s, just cant think of any off the top of my head.

• 1 month later...