Norfolk History

wrldcoupe4

Yup thats it, I think it would be a sweet resturant or club.

Or my house. :thumbsup:

BYRD AND BALDWIN BROTHERS STEAKHOUSE, for the following applications on property fronting 30 feet, more or less, along the northern line of Brooke Avenue beginning 165 feet, more or less, west of Granby Street and extending westwardly; premises numbered at 116 Brooke Avenue: Approved

a. An adult use special exception to operate an eating and drinking establishment

b. An adult use special exception to operate an establishment for the sale of alcoholic beverages for off-premises consumption

And right next door:

ST. ELMO

BYRD AND BALDWIN BROTHERS STEAKHOUSE, for the following applications on property fronting 30 feet, more or less, along the northern line of Brooke Avenue beginning 165 feet, more or less, west of Granby Street and extending westwardly; premises numbered at 116 Brooke Avenue: Approved

a. An adult use special exception to operate an eating and drinking establishment

b. An adult use special exception to operate an establishment for the sale of alcoholic beverages for off-premises consumption

And right next door:

ST. ELMO

Does anyone know the history of this building? If so, could you provide a link. ;)

Here is another tidbit from downtownnorfolk.org:

Byrd & Baldwin

Brooke Avenue

Originally home to Byrd & Baldwin Brothers offices, this elegantly detailed turn of the century building will undergo an adaptive reuse. The ground floor will house a new restaurant with a condominium on the upper floor. A new penthouse will access a roof top patio. Project Cost: Not available. For further information, contact S-K Development at (757) 544-5757.

Here is another tidbit from downtownnorfolk.org:

Byrd & Baldwin

Brooke Avenue

Originally home to Byrd & Baldwin Brothers offices, this elegantly detailed turn of the century building will undergo an adaptive reuse. The ground floor will house a new restaurant with a condominium on the upper floor. A new penthouse will access a roof top patio. Project Cost: Not available. For further information, contact S-K Development at (757) 544-5757.

And here is some more information from historicnorfolk.org (which seems to be a non-working website at the moment):

Architectural Description:

This two-story yellow brick building uses terra cotta detailing to produce a handsome example of Beaux Arts style architecture. The facade is divided into three bays by four, tall, engaged Ionic columns. The central entrance is framed by an elaborate aedicule doorway with a flat, heavy lintel supporting a cartouche. Wreaths appear around the brackets which support the lintel. All of the tall windows have scrolled keystones and flat arches. The full entablature has the name

Norfolk still has a few of those great hidden gems.

While talking about history, looking up the history to what MacAuthor now sits on top of. I am sure that neighborhood in downtown had some amazing architecture just like this. If that part of downtown was never destroyed I think I would of ended up staying in Virginia instead of moving west.

True... some buildings were spared from the flames like the state capitol, St. John's Church, and some other places but much of the city burned...kind of a shame. I could definitely see norfolk, or somewhere in hampton roads at least, having an abundance of 18th century structures.

That's a misconception, Most of Richmond did not burn. We did not see what Atlanta and other cities saw that Sherman touched. Richmond basically lost buildings south of Main between 9th and 15th then south of Canal between 5th and 9th. That was a small section of the city at the time.

Richmond, hard to imagine, was just such a progressive city at one time that it built and rebuilt itself replacing its older buildings.

I don't know much about Norfolk. I know it was established in the 1600s, but not much survived anywhere in Va from that period. It's nice to know Norfolk wasn't very demolition crazy.

I have that quote in refernce to Old Towne actually. Something along the lines of "the city with the second largest amount of 18th century homes" in VA. Or that Old Towne has the most 18th century buidings anywhere from Alex. to Charleston. Richmond has plenty of old buildings but remember that it was burned to the ground in the civil war so they would not be 18th century.

It may be a matter of wording, sort of like how Hampton bills itself as the "oldest continually inhabited English speaking city" in the US. Everybody's got to be something I guess.

That's a misconception, Most of Richmond did not burn. We did not see what Atlanta and other cities saw that Sherman touched. Richmond basically lost buildings south of Main between 9th and 15th then south of Canal between 5th and 9th. That was a small section of the city at the time.

Richmond, hard to imagine, was just such a progressive city at one time that it built and rebuilt itself replacing its older buildings.

I don't know much about Norfolk. I know it was established in the 1600s, but not much survived anywhere in Va from that period. It's nice to know Norfolk wasn't very demolition crazy.

VB is home to the oldest brick home in the US.

Ok. this is off topic but I just wanna say that Suffolk has some great old houses and buildings as well! I drive through it going to see my parents and I keep saying I need to take some time to take some pics.. hopefully soon.

Please do, the company I worked for when I was in VB would send me down there to make delivers and I use to love it because of how much history was still intacted. It would be cool to see a real revival happen in downtown Suffolk, like a new tallest and a couple new condo and apartment buildings, along with renovation of some of those warehouse buildings by the tracks.

I think Suffolk really made a mistake by incorporating into such a large city (land wise) to take care of. I think if they were alittle bit more focused with their development, they could be better off.

The bright side is that they get to develop the hell out of that north part that touches water, but that area feels completely different from the rest of Suffolk.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what happened to this building?

It is described as the "National Bank of Commerce"

NatlBankOfCommerce01a.JPG

That bank eventually called itself "Virginia National Bank" and became the largest banking institution in the state in the late 60s until Charlotte and Atlanta swallowed it and most of the major banks in the state. In the mid 60s, First and Merchants (Richmond) bought the building and modernized it, pasting a really ugly, beige psuedo-stone facade over it. VNB moved across the street into their new building (Now Bof A), which was designed by Skidmore Owens Merrill. It was eventually torn down to make way for the dark blue 14 storey structure (100 Main?) that is sited there today. Today, it would have been an historical treasure, and no one would even think about wrecking it with a "modern" facade. I hope you can see a picture of it in it's second incarnation, you will be amazed. I'll look around for one.

That bank eventually called itself "Virginia National Bank" and became the largest banking institution in the state in the late 60s until Charlotte and Atlanta swallowed it and most of the major banks in the state. In the mid 60s, First and Merchants (Richmond) bought the building and modernized it, pasting a really ugly, beige psuedo-stone facade over it. VNB moved across the street into their new building (Now Bof A), which was designed by Skidmore Owens Merrill. It was eventually torn down to make way for the dark blue 14 storey structure (100 Main?) that is sited there today. Today, it would have been an historical treasure, and no one would even think about wrecking it with a "modern" facade. I hope you can see a picture of it in it's second incarnation, you will be amazed. I'll look around for one.

Thanks for the detailed info. I was really hoping it was still standing but I just didn't know about it somehow. It reminds me of the Royster building, and it is similar in height. Man I would love to see it still standing today. :cry:

Thanks for the detailed info. I was really hoping it was still standing but I just didn't know about it somehow. It reminds me of the Royster building, and it is similar in height. Man I would love to see it still standing today. :cry:

It was taller than Royster by a bit, and larger. It dominated the Norfolk skyline, especially from the water. The banking lobby area was especially impressive--coffered ceilings and the like. I thought it would be there forever.

I hope we never fall prey to that same mindset that Norfolk had in the 50s and 60s - how could they possibly feel it was a good idea to get rid of all the amazing pieces of architecture that they seemed to have no problem destrooying? Did they think their modern architecture was progress? Look how that stuff is aging!

They tore down that 14-story building down to build the 14-story building currently on the same plot!? I'm kinda mixed on this. With what's currently there, I'm cool with it in terms of modernization and corporate feel/value. But I would have been happy with the one they tore down too because it would add huge value in terms of character, history, and style. Man if the building was still up, I would say convert it to a 4-star luxury hotel. It would have made sense because even New York has several towers like this converted to now world-class/renowned hospitality venues. With what we have now I would say good but for what they tore down, I think we lost something great. :cry:

They tore down that 14-story building down to build the 14-story building currently on the same plot!? I'm kinda mixed on this. With what's currently there, I'm cool with it in terms of modernization and corporate feel/value. But I would have been happy with the one they tore down too because it would add huge value in terms of character, history, and style. Man if the building was still up, I would say convert it to a 4-star luxury hotel. It would have made sense because even New York has several towers like this converted to now world-class/renowned hospitality venues. With what we have now I would say good but for what they tore down, I think we lost something great. :cry:

I'm always amazed that our downtown, with as few towers as it has always had, seems to always elect to tear down towers to make room for new projects. SMA (17 storeys) came down to make room for MacArthur Mall, Plaza I (11 storeys)came down to make room for Crown center (6 or 7 stories and a big garage). This sure confirms the real estate value of "location location location." I'm happy that the Rotunda is getting a good makeover. Now there's an eccentric building from the modern movement. Wainwright is getting some condos added, but I don't know if that will change the appearance of the building. I hope not. Hague Towers could use a little work at the top, but is well worth keeping.

actually that is a good point padman. You would think the city would be against tearing anything down that was over 4 stories, regardless of what someone would want to replace it with.

I actually remember the modern version of that old building when I was a kid when my parents would take me to Harborfest. Even the modern version of it was still pretty classy looking. I truly hate what it has been replaced with. One of the early reasons for my hatred towards CMSS.

actually in the Crown Center's defense (if it is the same building I am thinking of) that 11 story building really needed to come down, it was in really bad shape inside and it had the ugliest exterior with the stupidest thing on top.

Edited by urbanlife

actually that is a good point padman. You would think the city would be against tearing anything down that was over 4 stories, regardless of what someone would want to replace it with.

I actually remember the modern version of that old building when I was a kid when my parents would take me to Harborfest. Even the modern version of it was still pretty classy looking. I truly hate what it has been replaced with. One of the early reasons for my hatred towards CMSS.

actually in the Crown Center's defense (if it is the same building I am thinking of) that 11 story building really needed to come down, it was in really bad shape inside and it had the ugliest exterior with the stupidest thing on top.

It was fugly. I remember when it was under construction. To control lighting, it had these crazy, stainless steel or aluminum exterior louvres that turned like oversized venetian blinds, only turned on their side to the vertical. They were eventually removed, making the building look unfinished. The top looked like origami gone wrong, something that a waiter would place on top of a filet. It was so bad that it was good. The floors were compressed (low ceilings) like the office buildings in downtown D.C.

I hope we never fall prey to that same mindset that Norfolk had in the 50s and 60s - how could they possibly feel it was a good idea to get rid of all the amazing pieces of architecture that they seemed to have no problem destrooying? Did they think their modern architecture was progress? Look how that stuff is aging!

Well a lot of people are in the mindset that anything built in the 50's-60's is garabage and should be torn down. A lot of what was torn down in the 50's and 60's was 50 or so years old then though and people probably thought the same thing... And it was not the mindset of just Norfolk (although Norfolk took it to extremes that many other cities did not).

That is why, although I don't love the Kirn library, I think it is a very interesting work of architecture. It is exactly the way it was and it is possible to see why people moved architecture in that direction: the building is open, light, has clean lines and is uncluttered. It is one of the few examples of pure 50's, right down to the door handles (they are oval shaped).

Maybe in 50 years from now, when (more efficient) glass boxes make a comeback, they will wonder why we torn down so much of our 50's and 60's buildings.