Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/18/2019 at 5:46 PM, CLTdev18 said:

It looks like they are starting construction again on the Hawthorne bridge.  I saw some workers out there over the past couple of days and they have a "Nightly Closure" sign up on Independence. Does anyone know anything more about this?

Welcome to Urban Planet! @CLTdev18

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Wow, I had no idea the lady who owned Dish also ran Tremont, Amos', and the Milestone once upon a time. Charlotte legend!

Sounds like the new owner wants to keep it the same, hopeful it turns out that way.

oh, the memories of that place.  I used to eat lunch there in the 60's and early 70s when it was the "Hoy Toy" restaurant when I was a wee lad.  Seemed it was a front for some Chinese who were running numbers in an old victorian house behind it.  My dad built what was Viking Imports until a couple of months ago. (1962).  He used to lock me in there Saturday mornings  so that I could earn 10 bucks cleaning the floors. In those days, winos, vagrants, homeless... whatever, used to come up to the door and ask for change. It was pretty tough back then.  I remember the 'in' thing back then was drinking Sterno and we'd find empty cans everywhere.  We sold that building to Viking in the mid 80s.

That neighborhood looks so good these days.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Mattie’s Diner possibly coming to Plaza Midwood (or NoDa). This is exciting!
250FFD05-687B-48FA-9D19-A4AF8A370D77.thumb.png.d9301abaa65ca9aa6024e43bb51ec34d.png

Interesting, they were pretty much confirmed in Enderly Park 1-2 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what either of the possible tenants will be in the building that's been renovated at the corner of Eastway and Central at Eastway Crossing?  They've been doing great updates on facebook but have yet to announce the tenants.  I'd love to see a fast casual restaurant and maybe an Earl's Grocery-type (even though the density doesn't call for the latter).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, m1823892 said:

Anyone know what either of the possible tenants will be in the building that's been renovated at the corner of Eastway and Central at Eastway Crossing?  They've been doing great updates on facebook but have yet to announce the tenants.  I'd love to see a fast casual restaurant and maybe an Earl's Grocery-type (even though the density doesn't call for the latter).

I am not sure but I am interested too.   I think that shopping center should have some potential as the area changes.   I would also like to see a Blackhawk type of store in the shopping center too.   It's nice to see that Visart and Tommy's Pub have survived over there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hokiehigh said:

I am not sure but I am interested too.   I think that shopping center should have some potential as the area changes.   I would also like to see a Blackhawk type of store in the shopping center too.   It's nice to see that Visart and Tommy's Pub have survived over there.

The shopping center could definitely use a fresh breath of life.  I'm honestly surprised a lot of those businesses are still operating.  The parking lot is usually very sparse when I drive by/through it.

Hopefully that outparcel on the corner of Eastway and Central can be something a little bit more hip.  They did a good job with the art on wall right outside, and it would be a shame if it is just an Arby's or something.

• Like 1

The shopping center could definitely use a fresh breath of life.  I'm honestly surprised a lot of those businesses are still operating.  The parking lot is usually very sparse when I drive by/through it.
Hopefully that outparcel on the corner of Eastway and Central can be something a little bit more hip.  They did a good job with the art on wall right outside, and it would be a shame if it is just an Arby's or something.

I am loving the direction and tenant mix of this shopping center right now. Tommy’s, portofinos, armada skate shop, vis art, all complement the existing mix. Go there and check out Eastside local coffee shop!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

I am loving the direction and tenant mix of this shopping center right now. Tommy’s, portofinos, armada skate shop, vis art, all complement the existing mix. Go there and check out Eastside local coffee shop!

Man, I need to get over there to check it out. When I used to live over there (5 years ago, before moving away) that shopping center was pretty dead and it always made me sad to drive by it. So glad to hear it's doing okay.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the tenants will be...Skrimp Shack.  SKRIMP SHACK!!!  

With homes in the area going north of $300K I'm surprised some better quality chains weren't interested.  I was hoping for an Earl's Grocery type but know the density probably isn't right.  Realistically was hoping for a Chipotle or another good fast-casual place.  Skrimp Shack isn't going to help the shopping center IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, m1823892 said:

One of the tenants will be...Skrimp Shack.  SKRIMP SHACK!!!  

With homes in the area going north of $300K I'm surprised some better quality chains weren't interested.  I was hoping for an Earl's Grocery type but know the density probably isn't right.  Realistically was hoping for a Chipotle or another good fast-casual place.  Skrimp Shack isn't going to help the shopping center IMO.

People love that place though.  I have yet to go but I hear good things.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, GeauxCLT said:

I can’t see the full article, but news on the Sushi Guru building...

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/11/20/whats-next-for-this-shuttered-plaza-midwood.html

When I opened the link I was able to read it for a second.   It looks like a coffee shop that will roast its coffee on site. 

On 10/30/2019 at 9:13 AM, archiham04 said:

Thank you for this.  ESL is awesome.  What a hidden gem.

I turned off java script and read it. Basically it's gonna be a coffee shop with on site roasting. Aren't we kinda tapped out in this area for coffee? Surrounding this block you have Starbucks, Common Market, Zada's, Okra, Dunkin', Nova and Undercurrent Coffee. Not to mention the many others nearby. Is this peak millenial?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Secret to UP readers: When clicking on a CBJ article have your finger on the escape key and at the instant the page connects click esc (on Mac) and the text will show. No photos nor slides and other visuals. If you miss on the timing keep trying until you catch moment. This used to work with the Wall Street Journal but no more.

• Like 3