Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

On 5/11/2017 at 7:35 AM, tozmervo said:

I generally agree with your points, except for this. Central Avenue is not there solely for the pleasure of P-M residents, there are many huge neighborhoods heading further east that rely on Central day-to-day. Changes to Central must take into account all the neighborhoods it serves.

While it's true that Central Ave serves multiple purposes from a transportation standpoint, which group should be the priority: residents or commuters? Right now, I would argue that the existing design lends itself to commuters more than residents, and IMO it should be the other way around. 

• Like 4

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, archiham04 said:

So you are telling me that the beaver needs to build a very tall pitched roof to accomdate their sign? 

I still don't think it will work...  From the Zoning regulations sign ordinance:

Section 13.105. Prohibited signs. 

The following signs are prohibited under any circumstance:
       (4) Except in the Uptown Mixed Use District (UMUD), flashing, fluttering, swinging, or rotating signs other than time and/or temperature signs.

11 hours ago, Midwoodian said:

Fencing and a for lease sign has gone up on the lot behind Fuel pizza. It also appears a construction electrical hookup has been installed. Anyone have word on the details?

10c5802662947ee4ffd980fdd2859642.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Novas owns it. It was originally going to be a rezoning but they decided they could make the numbers work with a use by right.  Original plan was for residential over retail.

also heard that the Drakeford townhomes at Chatham and Central is in for Permitting.

Anyone have any idea what is going in next to Jackalope Jacks where the old Catch On Seafood store was @ 1801A commonwealth ave? They are painting the Pecan side of the building with a bunch of monkeys drinking smoothies so I assume it is going to be something like a smoothie or milkshake place. The wall art itself is pretty cool... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Crown said:

Lumberjaxe, Charlotte's Axe Throwing Bar, coming this fall to Plaza-Midwood/Belmont neighborhood.

ktJkw77.png

https://www.instagram.com/lumberjaxe_clt/

https://www.facebook.com/lumberjaxe/

Great move. This will bring in a new breed of transplant from Celtic and the Norse countries wearing their animal skins. Drinks and axes seem like the ingredients for a perfect night. Pass the winch. I still vote for professional soccer, but this is a great option too. 

Various spots in Plaza Midwood including the old Cramer family mansion that is being restored by CM Historical Properties Commission or maybe they are selling it as is not sure. With light traffic and many people out of town it was great driving around I could stop in the middle of the road! I am glad that old Cramer house is being saved it is really some nice architecture. 

DSCN2995.JPG

DSCN2997.JPG

DSCN3037.JPG

DSCN3038.JPG

DSCN3039.JPG

DSCN3044.JPG

DSCN3043.JPG

DSCN3045.JPG

DSCN3049.JPG

DSCN3051.JPG

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

I count 26 wires on the pole in your first photo. There is a better way.

Thanks for counting yes you would think the street was already for electric cable cars! 

25 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Where is the Cramer house located? I'll need to check that out in person. 

Matheson and Country Club Ln. They not sure who they is are building new homes around this home but it is really a nice home. The Barhardt family lived there built in 1938 sorry for previous fake news about prior owners.

Here is some information I found on the house. http://www.plazamidwoodhomesforsale.com/2017/02/07/whats-next-charlottes-historic-barnhardt-cramer-house/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

Here is the story of the Cramer Barnhardt house and it is a very interesting history including a suspicious death of the owner before he even moved in. This part of Plaza Midwood was considered too far out from Charlotte! That is funny because many of you think Ballantyne and Waverly in south Charlotte is too far out and in the 1920s this was out there!

Also interesting that Union National Bank predecessor to First Union/Wachovia/Wells Fargo did the mortgage on the house.  Here is the history report on this home. http://bungalowsofcharlotte.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Charles-E.-Barnhardt-Hse-SR-Report-1.pdf

• Like 3

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is the story of the Cramer Barnhardt house and it is a very interesting history including a suspicious death of the owner before he even moved in. This part of Plaza Midwood was considered too far out from Charlotte! That is funny because many of you think Ballantyne and Waverly in south Charlotte is too far out and in the 1920s this was out there!

Also interesting that Union National Bank predecessor to First Union/Wachovia/Wells Fargo did the mortgage on the house.  Here is the history report on this home. http://bungalowsofcharlotte.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Charles-E.-Barnhardt-Hse-SR-Report-1.pdf

Wow I had no idea that building was there or what it looked like. I'm sure it was quite the country-side estate in its day

• Like 3