Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

I was in Clark's Antiques last weekend and spoke with the proprietor (this is the Antiques store to the right of Social Status). He said his lease is up/will not be renewed and he has to be out in 30 days.  He did not know what was going in in his shop's place.

Food for thought...

Edited by Midwoodian

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Midwoodian said:

I was in Clark's Antiques last weekend and spoke with the proprietor (this is the Antiques store to the right of Social Status). He said his lease is up/will not be renewed and he has to be out in 30 days.  He did not know what was going in in his shop's place.

Food for thought...

That's sandwiched in between a bunch of stuff, so at least it's likely it won't become apartments.

Edited by Jayvee

37 minutes ago, Midwoodian said:

Food for thought...

He "goes out of business" every year.  Always has a sad song to sing.  Believe it when you see it but maybe this time it really is a wolf.

Edit : I guess with Johns recently being pushed out this time it could be real for Clarks.  Those spaces are becoming high dollar now with all the beds being added to the area.

Edited by UrbanGossip

1 hour ago, UrbanGossip said:

He "goes out of business" every year.  Always has a sad song to sing.  Believe it when you see it but maybe this time it really is a wolf.

Edit : I guess with Johns recently being pushed out this time it could be real for Clarks.  Those spaces are becoming high dollar now with all the beds being added to the area.

Same, I don't doubt that its actually happening now but every time I've been in there over the last 4 years or so I've heard the same thing. It'll be a shame, as I've found some really cool stuff there, but a place like that couldn't really last forever in such a desirable space.

• 2 weeks later...

^Most likely. Jason Mcarthur, who developed the Nook and Plaza 25, bought the parcel a few months back. I happened to see him and another guy in the parking lot of Plaza 25 a week or so ago looking towards this parcel and pointing, so I'm assuming they were discussing their plans for it. 

1 hour ago, uptownliving said:

LunchBox Records is moving down Central Ave to 825 Central Ave which is across the street from White Rabbit and Central Coffee. I wonder what this means for the existing building that LunchBox is in...going to be mowed down for more apartments?

My office landlord bought the building. He's getting rid of the tattoo shop upstairs and planning to combine both of the bottom spaces into one large space. He mentioned possibly having a coffee shop there, but he's open to other things. He's trying to avoid a full blown restaurant in this space though because of parking requirements and other expenses that non-restaurant uses don't have.

As of now, the plan is to keep the building and make some upgrades to it. In addition to the bottom floor becoming one big space, I'm guess he'll make the top floor some kind office space. It can't really be anything else that would require much parking because there isn't much parking behind the building. 

Lunchbox leaving had nothing to do with him though. They outgrew the space and were planning to move before he bought the building.

2 minutes ago, Prodev said:

^Most likely. Jason Mcarthur, who developed the Nook and Plaza 25, bought the parcel a few months back. I happened to see him and another guy in the parking lot of Plaza 25 a week or so ago looking towards this parcel and pointing, so I'm assuming they were discussing their plans for it. 

Jason McArthur and his partner John Rudolph purchased it. The LLC is actually registered in Rudolph's name from what I've seen.

• Like 1

I was in Barnes and Noble before Christmas. Yes, books, remember them? Anyway at the service desk I turned and there was a double table counter of new old recordings on vinyl. Great albums of the past such as Led Zepplin, Beach Boys, Johnny Cash, others, some great albums for sure, all on new lightweight higher quality vinyl. Likely re-mastered as well. Including Rodriguez, the Detroit artist featured in the movie "Searching for Sugarman" a few years ago. A totally underground success now stacked with the all time greats. Hipster cred at your fingertips.

Lunchbox Records is a special case as everyone knows it is the go-to location.

I know vinyl has had a resurgence over the last few years. Places like Urban Outfitters wouldn't be selling them (at ridiculous prices I might add) if the medium hadn't found its place in the fray again. Sadly, the positive momentum that Lunchbox appears to be having isn't the norm. True "record stores" have been closing all over for a decade or more. Charlotte used to have Central records, Vibe Tribe, and a couple of others that I can't recall the names of. Vinyl is selling, just not at record stores much anymore hence my tongue-in-cheek comment. The way that Time article is written is a little misleading though as I literally heard a brief piece on NPR tonight that said streaming as a whole grew by over 80% in 2015.

Sorry to veer a little off topic but vinyl is kinda my thing. Been collecting for nearly 25 years now. And tarhoosier, not to be nit picky, but heavier weight (180gm) is typically preferred. Thicker plates allows for deeper grooves thus providing more plays before audio degradation takes effect.

5 hours ago, southslider said:

Did Rudolph acquire the small pawn shop building as well?

He didn't mention it, so I'm assuming no.

He did mention the possibility of a small parking deck behind Plaza25 in the future though. I imagine if that were to happen, he would need/want to acquire the parcels of land on all sides of the current lot. There isn't anything to gain financially from that deck unless it complements more projects. He loves PM though, so I think anything he does will generally be pretty good for the neighborhood. His partner might have  built one of the ugliest apartments I've ever seen with the Nook, but at least he put ground floor retail in it. That's more than any other developers have done in PM so far.

Comida (restaurant in Penguin spot) has targeted a February opening. Between this and Legion across the street, Plaza is really going to be abuzz. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/01/13/mexican-inspired-eatery-plans-february-opening-in.html

Side note: as of this weekend, the penguin sign was still there. (image below was their menu sampling from a tasting at sister restaurant Littlespoon in December

YAy8UC8.jpg?1

• 2 weeks later...

The Roasting Co. will be opening a second location in Plaza Midwood in part of the current Family Dollar space beside Healthy Home Market.  The other half will be an ABC store as announced a couple months ago.  Unfortunately, neither will open until 2017 after Family Dollar's current lease expires.  Wish there was a way to make this happen sooner as both will be great (and, in the case of the ABC store, much-needed) additions to the neighborhood.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/01/22/expansion-on-menu-for-the-roasting-co.html

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/27261/plaza-midwood-will-be-getting-its-first-abc-store/

• Like 3

21 hours ago, archiham04 said:

So, does anyone know if  Fresenius Medical Care East Charlotte has a long term lease (past 2017)....  that is (will be) the next high profile space to be eyed by retailers.

Looks like their most recent lease start date was May of '10. Let's hope it was a 7 year lease, and not a 10.  The five guys deal was done at $24.00 for 2,500SF which I find interesting. 

Edited by Crown

On 1/23/2016 at 1:16 PM, cltcane said:

The Roasting Co. will be opening a second location in Plaza Midwood in part of the current Family Dollar space beside Healthy Home Market.  The other half will be an ABC store as announced a couple months ago.  Unfortunately, neither will open until 2017 after Family Dollar's current lease expires.  Wish there was a way to make this happen sooner as both will be great (and, in the case of the ABC store, much-needed) additions to the neighborhood.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/01/22/expansion-on-menu-for-the-roasting-co.html

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/27261/plaza-midwood-will-be-getting-its-first-abc-store/

I volunteer my services to help Family Dollar pack their stuff and GTFO of that shopping center. Seriously, they can't be gone soon enough and I reallllllllllllly don't want to wait until spring 2017.

• Like 2