GSP International

gvillenative

10 hours ago, gman430 said:

If an airline can’t survive with a load factor in the 70’s then they shouldn’t even be in business. 

Doesn't mean they can't survive, they just don't want to operate that way.  I think the disconnect with some is that load factor equals profitability.  That couldn't be further from the truth!  These ULLC want their planes to be as full as possible as the ticket prices are so low, the money comes from the ad ons.  If you are missing 25% of the flight your are missing a lot more money than that of the legacy carriers.   And that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what makes a route profitable!

Yeah they could survive flying that way, but they don't want to.  Have you not seen how Frontier operates?  They bounce from market to market testing out the waters, using airport incentives, trying to maximize the most $ they can get out of every flight.  They are known for their quick exits, sometimes only lasting a couple months.  Most argue you can't even judge a route that quick.  Sometimes they've come back to a market 2 or 3 times in just a matter of years only to leave again.  Who knows, maybe they'll dance with GSP again!

The fact is if you look at their loads overall, they like their planes full.  Overall they run near 90% load factor.  A good place of info if curious is https://www.transtats.bts.gov/.  Frontier just dropped Mobile who had very similar loads as GSP and BHM who had better loads than GSP.   Anyone who follows the ULCCs closely shouldn't be surprised by this at all!

:shok: Frontier Airlines is cutting 90% of its flights: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/29/consolidating-flights-to-us-cities-could-help-stem-airline-losses.html That is insane. GSP is definitely not alone.

Frontier Airlines, a low cost-carrier based in Denver, is going the furthest, maintaining just 10% of its schedule in April. The pullback is not only because of slow demand, but also because Frontier said a reduced schedule is the only way to maintain safe operations. 

“We believe it is in the interest of everyone’s safety that we reduce flying to a level which lessens the strains now being place on ATC’s (air traffic controllers) TSA and our many other partners,” CEO Barry Biffle wrote in an employee letter sent out Saturday.

Edited by gman430

GSP’s traffic is down 90%: 

https://www.foxcarolina.com/gsp-limits-parking-makes-other-operational-changes-as-passenger-traffic/article_79bcffb2-72b8-11ea-b032-d79d1c117050.html 

I’m sure every other airport throughout the entire world is in the same boat. Also, Frontier is ending all service out of Charlotte for the time being so once again GSP is not alone.

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, rssgvegas said:

Frontier is back!  They applied for the bailout money.  Part of the terms is you can't cut service from an airport.  So they are back to 5 flights a week to MCO until at least October!

This is good. Hope we can all stay safe and can't wait until things return to normal. After we solve the issue of course.

7 hours ago, rssgvegas said:

Frontier is back!  They applied for the bailout money.  Part of the terms is you can't cut service from an airport.  So they are back to 5 flights a week to MCO until at least October!

What about Denver? It doesn’t let me book Orlando past early May. :dontknow: 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

What about Denver? It doesn’t let me book Orlando past early May. :dontknow: 

From what they've said they are required to fly 5 flights a week and as of now they are all to MCO.  Doubtful they'll fly anywhere else while no one is flying.  Just not cost effective.

• Thanks 3

20 hours ago, gman430 said:

Can’t book a flight at all with Frontier out of GSP. Are we sure they didn’t get completely cut? 

The government relaxed their requirements for the ULCC's allowing Frontier to once again pause service at GSP.  Unless things change they will have to come back in June as they can't completely cut service yet.  That is their plan as of now apparently.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Some updated numbers. 

For March (things really shut down about mid month):

Total passengers: 120,517  (42% drop)

For April: Total passengers:  8,721 !  (95.8% drop)

Pretty bleak and too bad for GSP. Yes, I know this has happened pretty much everywhere, but still. I think we can say GSP would have been headed for another record year and some good things were in it's future but who knows what routes and carriers will still be here a few months from now or next year or the year after. 

Here's an article on GSP from The News website. https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/south-carolina/2020/05/22/greenville-spartanburg-airport-ceo-air-travel-may-never-same/5243047002/

Not a good outlook here. Says higher fares, less routes, and fewer planes. I can't help but wonder what GSP will be like going forward. Will it (or any airport) return to what it was before? Are the improvements and  enlargements at GSP going to be needed now? Will this be an empty terminal for years to come? Will we lose SW, Allegiant, (already lost Frontier) and be left with a couple flights to ATL and CLT, and maybe a couple others? 

This won't last forever of course, and eventually we'll adjust and start traveling again, but the air industry is going to take a long time to recover and at least years (maybe a decade?) to get back to previous levels. I imagine GSP, being a tertiary airport, will take even longer to get routes and carriers back. 

Edited by distortedlogic

Here's another article that came out on WYFF the other day. https://www.wyff4.com/article/i-would-not-hesitate-to-get-on-an-airplane-and-go-gsp-ceo-lays-out-future-of-flying-in-the-upstate/32618686

Here Edwards is quoted as saying he expects 50% of passengers to come back after 6 months, but it would be 2024 until it returns to previous levels. However, I would guess that is based on the position that we are starting to recover from this point forward, and not having to restart again this winter or next summer. We have no idea what the virus will do going forward or how our government or economy will respond. 

17 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Some updated numbers. 

For March (things really shut down about mid month):

Total passengers: 120,517  (42% drop)

For April: Total passengers:  8,721 !  (95.8% drop)

Pretty bleak and too bad for GSP. Yes, I know this has happened pretty much everywhere, but still. I think we can say GSP would have been headed for another record year and some good things were in it's future but who knows what routes and carriers will still be here a few months from now or next year or the year after. 

Here's an article on GSP from The News website. https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/south-carolina/2020/05/22/greenville-spartanburg-airport-ceo-air-travel-may-never-same/5243047002/

Not a good outlook here. Says higher fares, less routes, and fewer planes. I can't help but wonder what GSP will be like going forward. Will it (or any airport) return to what it was before? Are the improvements and  enlargements at GSP going to be needed now? Will this be an empty terminal for years to come? Will we lose SW, Allegiant, (already lost Frontier) and be left with a couple flights to ATL and CLT, and maybe a couple others? 

This won't last forever of course, and eventually we'll adjust and start traveling again, but the air industry is going to take a long time to recover and at least years (maybe a decade?) to get back to previous levels. I imagine GSP, being a tertiary airport, will take even longer to get routes and carriers back. 

I see a lot of businesses cutting back on any travel. They have seen what can be done from home and will decide if a new business model is in store. I also see businesses cutting back on real estate office needs. It's a new world folks, and we need to get ready for the changes. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, gman said:

I see a lot of businesses cutting back on any travel. They have seen what can be done from home and will decide if a new business model is in store. I also see businesses cutting back on real estate office needs. It's a new world folks, and we need to get ready for the changes. 

Yep, you are correct. Same with retail. How many retail stores will not reopen? I am afraid the effects of the shutdown and its devastaing effect will be felt for years to come. 

• 4 weeks later...

The planned parking garage has been put on hold until further notice. You all should know why. All of the other construction projects currently underway are still moving forward with no delays. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, gman430 said:

The planned parking garage has been put on hold until further notice. You all should know why. All of the other construction projects currently underway are still moving forward with no delays. 

What is the construction that is going on to the left as you enter the airport from Highway 14? Can't seem to find much information on it.

12 hours ago, gman430 said:

This a good decision. It won’t be needed for a long time I imagine. 

• 2 weeks later...