GSP International

gvillenative

17 minutes ago, DirectorBob0209 said:

I am one of them. When I want to not take Delta down to Tampa, I go there for Allegiant as they go down to Tampa twice a day everyday. If GSP wants to change to everyday and not just Monday's and Friday's I will gladly take my business back to GSP. But for now, only Delta is my go-to GSP flight at the moment. 

You aren’t the only one. When I went to Austin, I flew Allegiant out of Asheville. Non-stop direct and cheaper than anything out of GSP. GSP has nobody to blame but themselves. They could easily issue tax incentives like all of these other airports are doing for new service but that would make too much sense. 

Edited by gman430
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

You aren’t the only one. When I went to Austin, I flew Allegiant out of Asheville. Non-stop direct and cheaper than anything out of GSP. GSP has nobody to blame but themselves. They could easily issue tax incentives like all of these other airports are doing for new service but that would make too much sense. 

Handing out taxpayers’ hard-earned cash to for-profit private corporations (airlines) does not make sense, if private corporations otherwise wouldn’t offer the service (flights).    That distorts the market, gets private corporations to offer services that aren’t the most productive use of their resources, and leaves all of us, in the aggregate, worse off.

The better approach would be to ban tax incentives for private corporations and let them make decisions based on what the most productive use of their resources is.

GSP would be better served by using any funds for airport improvements, such as expanding ground transportation options to the airport.  If GSP were much easier to get to (if driving in I-85 traffic could be avoided), I’d use it more.  A quicker trip to GSP could make AVL less desirable for some people who otherwise might drive to Asheville.

On 6/28/2023 at 12:11 PM, rssgvegas said:

Avelo loads have been very strong the first couple weeks.  Not sure why you think they would be gone other than to troll the airport.  MCO disappears in Sept and Oct, but comes right back in Nov.  I expect Avelo to grow, not shrink at GSP.  They are very high on the airport.  Not too many cities with them start with more than 1 destination!

What are you hearing regarding Avelo? Is Ishrion correct? 

edit: just received word that GSP-MCO is remaining and will continue to be seasonal. 

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, cabelagent said:

Picked up my nephew yesterday flying in from Philly approximately 530…GSP was a zoo….had not experienced or seen it that busy in a long while. He said his plane was packed…traffic officials were all around the front area of the airport. Nice to see many travelers…

Last few times I’ve been there it has been really busy even at midnight.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, gman430 said:

AVL leaving GSP in the dust: 

https://wlos.com/news/local/asheville-airport-takes-off-with-record-breaking-july-passenger-numbers

No sign of MCO or ILG returning with Avelo yet either. Ouch. 

AVL continues to have fantastic non-stop destinations. I certainly fly through there several times a year.

At GSP you can (now) grab a beer from RJ Rockers and walk the terminal, or go to the Escape Lounge for some above airport average food/drinks.  Until AVL has the new terminal, GSP will always provide the better flight experience.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

2 hours ago, tigerman93 said:

I still don't understand Boston not being a destination. I assume it's politics amongst the airlines.

I agree. Despite the competition from ATL,  CLT, and now AVL its still hard to see why an area the size of GSP doesn't have a route like that (and probably a few others).

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Delta seriously needs to add Boston and Minneapolis to GSP. Ridiculous those cities aren’t included already especially when their flights to and from Atlanta are always over 90% full.

234,661 passengers in July. 20.70% increase over July 2022.

10k less than AVL had for the same month; in a CSA 1/3 the size.  A lot of that due to routes that GSP just doesn't have and GSP people use. I guess I don't understand why GSP officials didn't use the AVL area as a marketing tool. If AVL can get a bunch of upstate people to travel to there to help make the flights sustainable, certainly the GSP (CSA) could make sustainable flights as well, needing less help from the AVL area but still tapping into it. GSP had way better facilities, and connectibility than AVL. Why wouldn't GSP officials say "fly us, we have 3 times the population, better facilities,  and fliers have easy access to WNC as well?" Maybe they did, but somehow it just seems crazy that AVL got the jump on us.

Edited by distortedlogic

8 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

I agree. Despite the competition from ATL,  CLT, and now AVL its still hard to see why an area the size of GSP doesn't have a route like that (and probably a few others).

10k less than AVL had for the same month; in a CSA 1/3 the size.  A lot of that due to routes that GSP just doesn't have and GSP people use. I guess I don't understand why GSP officials didn't use the AVL area as a marketing tool. If AVL can get a bunch of upstate people to travel to there to help make the flights sustainable, certainly the GSP (CSA) could make sustainable flights as well, needing less help from the AVL area but still tapping into it. GSP had way better facilities, and connectibility than AVL. Why wouldn't GSP officials say "fly us, we have 3 times the population, better facilities,  and fliers have easy access to WNC as well?" Maybe they did, but somehow it just seems crazy that AVL got the jump on us.

I doubt very seriously if GSP made any effort like you mentioned. They just seem to be really content and happy with what they have. Thus the destinations seem to never change. 

Look at the bright side. At least we have Avelo. Cause we all want to fly to Wilmington, DE. 

**crickets**

And some people want to use the excuse that tourism is the reason Asheville has more destinations than GSP. Ohhh please. GSP is a much larger metro area than Asheville and it isn’t even close. Tourism or not there is NO reason why we shouldn’t have the same destinations they do. GSP should have Boston, Minneapolis, and Las Vegas at a minimum. No excuses. I’ll get off my soap box now.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For July 2023, Avelo had a 77.5% load factor out of GSP. Allegiant was first out of GSP with a 92.5% load factor while Southwest was last with a 76.5% load factor.

October 2023 flights are up 12.8% and seats are up 19.8% compared to October 2022. 

Thomas Creek Brewery is going through a name change and will now be Greenville Triumph Brewery. Thomas Creek beers will continue to be served. 

$20 million instead of $50 million from the state for the commercial airports statewide. 

Parking garage slightly delayed and will now be starting construction in Spring 2024 with completion in Spring 2026. $114 million total. 

Decorative I-85 entrance signage slated to be complete in Spring 2024. 

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, gman430 said:

For July 2023, Avelo had a 77.5% load factor out of GSP. Allegiant was first out of GSP with a 92.5% load factor while Southwest was last with a 76.5% load factor.

October 2023 flights are up 12.8% and seats are up 19.8% compared to October 2022. 

Thomas Creek Brewery is going through a name change and will now be Greenville Triumph Brewery. Thomas Creek beers will continue to be served. 

$20 million instead of $50 million from the state for the commercial airports statewide. 

Parking garage slightly delayed and will now be starting construction in Spring 2024 with completion in Spring 2026. $114 million total. 

Decorative I-85 entrance signage slated to be complete in Spring 2024. 

You could at least quote your reference instead of passing it off as your own.

https://gspairport.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/GSP-Commission-Package-September-2023-FINAL.pdf

1 hour ago, rssgvegas said:

You could at least quote your reference instead of passing it off as your own.

https://gspairport.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/GSP-Commission-Package-September-2023-FINAL.pdf

Oh…go cry me a river and drink a beer. Nowhere did I say it was my own. I’m just trying to provide some updates for forum members. Not my fault you can’t provide any good GSP airport updates anymore. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/9/2023 at 2:32 AM, gman430 said:

Oh…go cry me a river and drink a beer. Nowhere did I say it was my own. I’m just trying to provide some updates for forum members. Not my fault you can’t provide any good GSP airport updates anymore. 

Lol it's not a competition to post information.  This is a forum for discussion with others.  Sometimes forums have people like you who whine, complain, act like they know about the industry on the whys and hows,  and post others info to act like they are a know it all.  These kind of posters make others, like myself, not to want to join in the discussion much anymore and the discussion starts to go silent and slowly dies.  Have you noticed a theme on this thread?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rssgvegas said:

Avelo has extended their schedule to the end of April.  MCO comes back in Feb.  ILG does not.  HVN still there as well.

Well, I guess Avelo isn’t doing that well at GSP going off that news. Already cutting ILG service fully with MCO going seasonal.  Asheville and Allegiant will continue to hurt GSP until the airport can get better destinations with low cost carriers. It’s freaking silly GSP doesn’t have Boston, Nashville, and Las Vegas. 

I do however see that Southwest expands ATL and American Airlines expands DFW later this year which might help take some of the sting away. 

Edited by gman430