Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Just now, drayrichmond said:

The permit will allow a height of up to 525 feet.

Richmond’s tallest building currently is the 29-story James Monroe Building, 101 N. 14th St., at 449 feet.

Hint. Hint. from the planning commission...

What an incredible surprise it would be if dominion increased the height and gave us the tallest building in the state!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

What an incredible surprise it would be if dominion increased the height and gave us the tallest building in the state!

I'll take that, but it gives me pause that it said that the first tower will still be 423.4 feet. You might be able to read that they COULD increase the height, but not sure if it means that they will actually do it.  But then again, why increase the height restriction to 525 feet?  Did they just pull that number out of their butt or was there a reason why they chose that number?  Interesting.  Right now though, we can only go with what we definitely know, and that's 423.4 feet. 

15 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

10 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I'll take that, but it gives me pause that it said that the first tower will still be 423.4 feet. You might be able to read that they COULD increase the height, but not sure if it means that they will actually do it.  But then again, why increase the height restriction to 525 feet?  Did they just pull that number out of their butt or was there a reason why they chose that number?  Interesting.  Right now though, we can only go with what we definitely know, and that's 423.4 feet. 

Yeah, I'm not going to get my hopes up, but you never know.

Increase it because it says that the building's facade didn't meet the cities height restriction. This means it's current design would not have been allowed if the height restriction wasn't increased. I unfortunately don't see this as a possible height increase to the building, just as a height increase to allow the current design to pass. 

Well I was supposed to quote eandslee in this but I swear the quote function never works for me, or I don't know how to do it haha. 

Edited by tparkerzut
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tparkerzut said:

Increase it because it says that the building's facade didn't meet the cities height restriction. This means it's current design would not have been allowed if the height restriction wasn't increased. I unfortunately don't see this as a possible height increase to the building, just as a height increase to allow the current design to pass. 

Well I was supposed to quote eandslee in this but I swear the quote function never works for me, or I don't know how to do it haha. 

Yeah, I don't think they'll increase the height, I think the planning commission gave them the extra 100 feet of height approval as a kind of hint/nudge that people in the city want a taller tower. From all the comments I've seen on RTD and Biz-sense about the new tower the majority have been about disappointment in the height. So, I think maybe the Planning Commission was just sort of making a statement with the height approval that they put out. 

13 hours ago, Downtowner said:

So It sounds like the planning commission had a lot to discuss about tonight. Also in the article it mentions that One James River plaza could be either torn down or gutted and renovated. It says it has a height limit of 525 feet tall. It also mentions tower 2 could be a total height of 424 feet tall. I really wanna see it grow more than that to of around 500 feet or the full 525 feet tall would be amazing.

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_505fde42-5de1-59b2-97f3-83cd621f32b5.html

This is all a bit confusing...I thought I recall the second tower was planned to be (if built) shorter than the first.  Cant find that article...but from the bizsense article that I believe was corrected for the street vs sea level issue (concerning tower 1):

"From street level to the building’s zenith, the company said it will rise 413 feet, second only to the 29-story James Monroe Building, which stands at 449 feet at 101 N. 14th St.

Dominion emphasized that its peak will sit 506 feet above sea level, based on where it sits on the hill going up Cary and Canal. Elevation-wise, the company said, the new building would be the tallest in Richmond, overtaking the James Monroe Building and the Federal Reserve building."

Some local magazine (River City) posted its summer issue on FB, and cover issue is about the rise of Manchester. Go to pages 7-8, and you'll see ''Whitewater Tower'', a Tom Papa-led soon-to-be-announced tower development. Very interesting. Keep an eye out on this one folks

https://issuu.com/cherylaci/docs/rc_jul16_small

16 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Some local magazine (River City) posted its summer issue on FB, and cover issue is about the rise of Manchester. Go to pages 7-8, and you'll see ''Whitewater Tower'', a Tom Papa-led soon-to-be-announced tower development. Very interesting. Keep an eye out on this one folks

That is right in line with what Style Weekly wrote:

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/the-ruins-of-richmond/Content?oid=2348952 

Manchester Canal and Richmond Paper Board Co. Building

Where: Hull Street near the Flood Wall

Built: Circa 1800

The Manchester Canal, now an abbreviated and swamplike waterway that was built by black and Irish laborers, was envisioned as a navigation connection to the west. While the James River and Kanawha Canal took on that task on the north side of the river, this canal served paper mills in the vicinity of the Mayo Bridge.

Today, the skeletal Richmond Paper Board factory, built in 1929, offers a picturesque silhouette for joggers and hikers moving atop the flood wall. But enjoy the view soon. This ruin awaits demolition for a high-rise apartment complex scheduled on the 2-acre site. Some 200 units comprise the first phase.

18 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

That sounds like the proposal for the 2 16 story towers proposed near hull street that would be right on the river.

No, I'm referencing the 16 story apartment towers that are proposed by Fountainhead Properties that will replace the old Paper Board building on the Manchester side. Those are the renderings I'd like to see. As far as I know, there are no renderings of that project yet. I'm really looking forward to seeing them though and hope they are released soon. 

Facade looks kind of cheap. Like the plastic veneers that have been put up recently. The modular boxy architecture with varying bright colors is really popular right now as well. I think a lot of new buildings are doing designs like this because they think it is original or trendy however I don't typically enjoy it. I find the design tries to distract from how overall the project is really cheap. Obviously I can't speak about this one specifically just my opinion of general projects with this type of feel.

• Like 1