Richmond Developments

Cotuit

45 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

I did go into the city about a week ago - see that there are job trailers in the adjacent parking lot next to the building that will come down for Dominion and some fencing around areas.  Has VCU Gladding demolition started?  Will something please start - thought spring 2016 would be a push but not much to show yet, it seems like our projects slated to start in spring have not and we sit and wait.  I can add the Pear Street project and the Uphoff hi-rise - are there heights and schedules for these or still too preliminary?

The Pear St condo (One Shiplock) will be 12 stories and the Uphoff high rise appears to be about 18 stories. Not sure when that one should break ground, but One Shiplock should be by the end of the year...I'm guessing. 

They have not they were suppose to use this building for some time and incorporate architectural parts of the Old Murphy Hotel into this building, but they have decided to use the Pocahontas building and use the lot now for a parking deck here is a letter from them. 

Thank you for your inquiry about the replacement of the General Assembly Building.  

The Commonwealth is committed to good stewardship of public resources, including both taxpayer dollars and historic buildings, particularly those that comprise an important seat of government complex.   Decisions about the future of these public buildings are taken only after careful study and assessment and a careful weighing of the many relevant factors that must inform a balanced public interest determination.  These include, for example: an assessment of the character, significance and relative importance of a resource, recognizing, as do the State and National Registers, that not all buildings hold the same level of importance; conditions and needs assessment; capacity to meet or be adaptively reused to meet current and reasonably foreseeable programmatic needs; engineering feasibility; ability to meet life safety and accessibility requirements, etc.      

All of these issues must be explored to achieve an understanding of the cost-benefit of different alternatively, both in terms of dollars and preservation outcomes. It is important to note, that if a building requires so much intervention and reworking, and therefore loss of definition and character, in order to serve program needs, the associated preservation benefit would be low   For this reason and as a responsible stewardship commitment to ensure a good preservation outcome, the rehabilitation of a historic building should be undertaken consistent with nationally recognized standards of treatment. As a preservationist, you will understand that gut renovations to save a shell, as has been proposed by some for the General Assembly Building, is not a high preservation benefit outcome.  

Following these principles, a few buildings have been removed from the seat of government complex in recent years. On the other hand, the rigorous process has resulted in many resources being comprehensively restored or rehabilitated in and around Capitol Square in recent years. These include the Jefferson designed Capitol, the Patrick Henry Building (the former State Library), the 1824 Bell Tower, the Oliver Hill Building (the original State Library and former Old Finance Building), the Washington Office Building, the Executive Mansion and the 1818 iron fence. These projects were all undertaken consistent with national standards of treatment. Similarly, the Ninth Street Office Building (the former Hotel Richmond) is poised to reopen soon after a multi-year rehabilitation treatment, and the restoration of the iconic Washington Equestrian Monument will also be completed soon. Restoration measures are also underway to enhance the integrity of the historic landscape of Capitol Square, one of the nation's most important and earliest urban parks. The historic Jefferson Building has received new windows consistent with preservation standards.  The historic Old City Hall will undergo a top to bottom rehabilitation in the coming years based on the careful study and building needs analysis that is underway now, and detailed planning money was appropriated for the coming biennium to undertake detailed study and planning for the reuse of the three buildings known as Morson's Row at the western terminus of Capitol Square.   All of these projects demonstrate a high philosophical and financial commitment to preservation.  

The decision to replace the General Assembly was not made lightly, but in careful consideration of its relative significance and its deficiencies: life safety, accessibility, inadequate conveyance systems, failed mechanicals, etc.  Overcrowding is a critical issue due to high lack of adequate space to function effectively as an active legislative building, especially during session. This is both a program and a public safety concern. Enlarging the building to provide more space was considered, but the design outcomes for a building already added onto many times, both horizontally and vertically and to different heights, would not yield an architectural result worthy of the site and its relationship to Capitol Square and the City of Richmond.

All this said, the question of reuse of historic facade materials, the most important historic feature of the building, is being studied by a preservation team. No decision has or will be made until all the facts are in. We recognize the high significance of the south eastern facade and have ensured that every due diligent step will be taken to determine if it is feasible to incorporate this element into a dignified and functional building.   

The design phase is still ahead while study and needs assessments continue at this time.  As we reach the design phase, the project team will work with the stakeholder community in a charrette process, just as was done when a large new building was contemplated for the corner of Ninth and Broad. That ambitious plan involved moving the Assembly into the new building temporarily and then replacing the current building, so the reality of the need to address the deficiencies of the General Assembly building is not by any means new or news.  With the downturn in the economy, however, that plan was abandoned in favor of the more economical strategy of moving the Assembly temporarily into the existing Pocahontas building to the south of the Square and building a more modest structure on the empty lot to accommodate the critical need to keep parking off Capitol Square.  While the parking deck will be scaled modestly to the building around and across from it, there is a commitment to building a structure with architectural interest on the important site.  In the same way, there is full commitment to a building worthy of the site now occupied by the General Assembly Building. Toward that end, a world class architectural firm, Robert A. M. Stern and Associates, has been retained.      

While the loss of an historic building is always regretted, we stand by the careful and thoughtful decision-making process and the decision.  Moreover, the talent has been assembled to deliver on a deep understanding of the importance of the site and an equally deep commitment to give Virginia a result of which it can be proud in the years ahead.  

Sincerely,

Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 9.18.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 9.18.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 9.19.02 PM.png

• Like 2

^ Out of that long and winding message I got:

- The large glassy 9th/Broad building shown in your renderings is no longer being considered bc of economy

- The GA building will probably be demolished regardless of preservation committee or study

- Parking deck being built somewhere near Capitol Square

And no concrete dates or building details. Ah well

Edit: also regarding hike's timeline, might as well remove the Roseneath towers from it since it has been dumbed down. And add the Centennial project (8-story).

And as eandslee mentioned, also the Uppy Belvidere and Shiplock projects as well. Once Thalhimer starts on City View Landing, we should add that too. They indicated in the RTD's link here about the project that they plan on starting that phase later this year.

All in all, still a bunch of projects being juggled around downtown and a very exciting time development wise.

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 1

Hey all,

Former Fultz Architects is now a partnership and is called Fultz & Singh. They've got some interesting projects on their website. Not sure if these are being developed or are just proposals at this point, but the "Date" for each of the projects is a promising sign.

http://www.fultzsingharchitects.com/1801-west-main/

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/565377fce4b0b299b81e7cff/t/576db3f22994cae381ccbc9b/1466807290175/?format=2500w

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/565377fce4b0b299b81e7cff/t/576db4012994cae381ccbd6d/1466807303261/?format=2500w

^^I'm kinda pissed that the head guy Chris was opposed to the Roseneath Towers. I think he said so himself on Facebook using the Fultz Architects' page. Still having trouble understanding what was so visually appalling about those twins (other than the same boo hoo density too much, destroys character of neighborhood drivel).

Edit: 1801 E Main St does look exciting though. It would fill in the last hole in that block (the same city block occupied by Lofts at River's Fall and the 8-story Canal Lofts V). More good infill. Might add it to the development map just for the hell of it. Looks promising, hopefully we see some official announcement soon should they meet that 2018 completion.

1 hour ago, evanf said:

Hey all,

Former Fultz Architects is now a partnership and is called Fultz & Singh. They've got some interesting projects on their website. Not sure if these are being developed or are just proposals at this point, but the "Date" for each of the projects is a promising sign.

http://www.fultzsingharchitects.com/1801-west-main/

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/565377fce4b0b299b81e7cff/t/576db3f22994cae381ccbc9b/1466807290175/?format=2500w

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/565377fce4b0b299b81e7cff/t/576db4012994cae381ccbd6d/1466807303261/?format=2500w

Not digging the design. Kinda ugly, but it is infill. 

On 6/27/2016 at 11:05 AM, eandslee said:

Great news!  Good to see the construction of many announced projects start. This will be a sweet addition to Shockoe Bottom. Drove through downtown yesterday on I-95 and love the new 8-story apartment building going up in Shockoe as well - very prominent on the east side...and the only construction crane visible in the skyline at the moment. 

To everyone:

Any movement on 3Twenty One yet? How about the Richmond Plaza...any demo yet?

Some of the footprint of that design overlaps Canal Lofts V so that may be very conceptual. 

• Like 1

You are on the wrong block and street.  Valley West is at 20th and Franklin. Icetera is referencing the 9 story bldg going up on the same block. This rendering is from about 12-18 months ago. Plan would include structured parking in the middle of the block. Rendering overlaps where the Low-rise portion of canal walk lofts v goes, but they could fit side by side with some adjustment. Would be nice infill and I like the architecture. 

I have worked with Chris. He is a smart guy, great architect, (also makes great bbq btw), so I don't think his opinions on the Scott's Addition towers are simply nimbyism or something. There are people out there that care about more than height. Density, context, and good design are equally important. The revised project has more density, better site utilization, but still bad design. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

You are on the wrong block and street.  Valley West is at 20th and Franklin. Icetera is referencing the 9 story bldg going up on the same block. This rendering is from about 12-18 months ago. Plan would include structured parking in the middle of the block. Rendering overlaps where the Low-rise portion of canal walk lofts v goes, but they could fit side by side with some adjustment. Would be nice infill and I like the architecture. 

On the same block as what? Same block as Valley West?? I know Valley West is at 20th and Franklin. Canal Lofts V is 8 stories, not 9. Is Ice referencing Canal Lofts V? What project's footprint overlaps the low-rise portion of Canal Lofts V, Fultz' 1801 E Main project?  And where are you even finding site plans for Canal Lofts V or 1801 E Main to determine that they overlap?

13 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

On the same block as what? Same block as Valley West?? I know Valley West is at 20th and Franklin. Canal Lofts V is 8 stories, not 9. Is Ice referencing Canal Lofts V? What project's footprint overlaps the low-rise portion of Canal Lofts V, Fultz' 1801 E Main project?  And where are you even finding site plans for Canal Lofts V or 1801 E Main to determine that they overlap?

RVA, if you look at the image you can see Fultz's 1801 E Main project butts up to the existing early 1900's shops.  They are now building the foundations for the two shops connected to Canal Lofts V next to those so Fult'z design would have to be slimmed back to accommodate.

Edit: Canal Lofts V has parking on the bottom floor with 8 level of apartments above, hence the confusion on number of floors (I think original publications said 8).

download.jpg

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by Icetera
Added info.
  • Like 2

I heard from someone I know who works for a downtown property management company that they are planning to knock down 4 buildings on Broad near The National to construct a 15-story primarily residential building.  That's all the details I got today and will ask some more questions when I see him again in a few days.  In the meantime, though, has anyone else heard anything about this (potential) project?

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, benstyree said:

I heard from someone I know who works for a downtown property management company that they are planning to knock down 4 buildings on Broad near The National to construct a 15-story primarily residential building.  That's all the details I got today and will ask some more questions when I see him again in a few days.  In the meantime, though, has anyone else heard anything about this (potential) project?

Love rumors like this!  Hope there truth behind that rumor.  Would love to see a rendering. 

That's a good riddle. East of the National on Broad Street there are no spots that would fit the description of 4 smaller buildings coming down. My guess is west of the National on the south side of Broad Street. There was a proposal years ago for a hotel tower etween 3rd and 4th along Broad. Perhaps the developer pivoted to apartments instead? There are some buildings on that block that are really challenged for Windows and rear alley access. That's my guess unless Douglas Development has something planned. 

• Like 3

hmmm.... a good puzzle, it's gotta be to the west, my best guess is like what wrldcoupe4 said. Between 3rd and 4th on the south side of broad, the buildings there are windowless and worn down. Pretty much ever other block has things already in progress on it, Walgreens by the convention center, VCU police on the next block, and other restoration projects down the street. So yeah, my money is on 3rd/4th street block, final answer. 

Street View: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5438066,-77.4387521,3a,75y,218.5h,95.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suEV3f7je1v3ikLlFHYb_Sg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Although it'll be cool to get something that big on broad street, we still have empty lots on broad that need to be developed, eg right behind center stage and the parking lot by the Hilton. I'd love to see those get filled in.

Edited by drayrichmond
  • Like 2

I know it isn't exactly news, but I messaged The Locks property page on FB about whether Gate 5 was the last phase of the project or if there are any more phases.

They responded as such:

''There are plans to eventually develop another residential building on the land just between the Gate 5 building and Virginia street - east end of the property.

We have the pending construction on 10th and Byrd streets- the new site of "The Locks at 321" in which Suntrust will be the commercial anchor tenant shared with about 190 apartments as well. Our property management company/developer, CoreRVA Properties, Inc/@Fountainhead Properties.''

So...besides Locks at 321 (which is definitely not news to us), it looks like we'll be getting one more new building next to Gate 5. Pretty good stuff. I hope it gets announced within the next year or so.

• Like 1