Richmond Developments

Cotuit

5 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

But the city isn't stagnant, is growing, and the area below Libby Hill CAN be developed in a way that does not obliterate the view that literally gave our city its name.

I should add that I support this project. I thought Salomonsy's proposal across the street was hideous. 

4 hours ago, Icetera said:

Kanawa progress.

1466193321232-841659667.jpg

Nice to see work being done on Kanawha. I was downtown today and noticed that they have already started prepwork on dominions new building and that the signage on Gateway was being put up. Drove through shocker and the train shed is looking amazing!! I almost didn't recognize it! Was also able to take pics of the new 8 story building going up in shockoe which is nearing completion.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

Nice to see work being done on Kanawha. I was downtown today and noticed that they have already started prepwork on dominions new building and that the signage on Gateway was being put up. Drove through shocker and the train shed is looking amazing!! I almost didn't recognize it! Was also able to take pics of the new 8 story building going up in shockoe which is nearing completion.

image.jpeg

Great photo, but where are the other photos of Gateway and Dominion?  Come on, man! :)

Armstrong high school to be redeveloped. Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 10.31.31 PM.png

http://www.nbc12.com/story/32285727/tearing-down-local-high-school-to-make-room-for-new-mixed-income-homes

The former Armstrong High School will soon be torn down, with plans to demolish the building to make way for new mixed-income housing.

"It will feature 40 town homes for sale, and 240 rental housing for seniors and families with all modern amenities and playgrounds and community spaces," explained T.K. Somanath, the CEO of the Richmond Redevelopment Housing Authority, during a press conference on Wednesday.

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 10.30.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 10.30.58 PM.png

• Like 2

If this redevelopment works well, it would be huge for Richmond.

I think having some open market apartments would help it along though.  There are plenty of people who can't afford a nice townhouse or qualify for low-income housing.  I would like to see them continue to have affordable housing in the city as well.

58 minutes ago, Marcus Squires said:

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_2a7dfd94-acb1-5beb-98ab-4d206df1ee78.html

Crowne Plaza hotel downtown to undergo renovation; changing name to Delta Hotel by Marriott

1 hour ago, Marcus Squires said:

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_2a7dfd94-acb1-5beb-98ab-4d206df1ee78.html

Crowne Plaza hotel downtown to undergo renovation; changing name to Delta Hotel by Marriott

•  

There was no mention of an exterior improvements, but I think the exterior needs a facelift as well. I wish there was enough demand for a height increase. 

Again, hotels in the city's center continue to flourish.

Commonwealth Park, the old Doubletree, and now the Crowne Plaza are all being renovated.  

Quirk Hotel, two Marriotts, the two hotels on Main Street...all open up within the year (give or take a few months).

Could this be the end or will we see another major hotel opening sooner rather than later.

14 minutes ago, Richmonopoly said:

Again, hotels in the city's center continue to flourish.

Commonwealth Park, the old Doubletree, and now the Crowne Plaza are all being renovated.  

Quirk Hotel, two Marriotts, the two hotels on Main Street...all open up within the year (give or take a few months).

Could this be the end or will we see another major hotel opening sooner rather than later.

I'd like there to be enough demand for the building of a new hotel, not just a renovation of an old building. If we could get a new arena and be able to draw in major acts, I can see where building more hotels  downtown are a real possibility. 

Is it possible to expand the current convention center?  This is another thing that would increase the demand for more hotels - conventions and major shows. While our convention center is good, it is far inferior to other convention centers in other markets that draw in more people. 

Finally, tourism needs to significantly surge to increase demand for hotel rooms. I think the new Civil War Center is a positive step in the right direction.  Richmond needs to continue to capitalize on its assets to also include the art museums (which they are doing a pretty good job of doing), the ICA will help too. If beer tourism is what Richmond wants to tackle, they need to go all out and be THE place to go for beer tourism...Richmond needs its claim to fame other than the Capital of the Confederacy, which carries a negative connotation in today's society. Richmond needs to embrace being even more "hip" where millennials want to be and live.  Richmond is doing some of this, but hasn't caught on enough to carry a reputation such as places like Austin, TX; Portland, OR; San Jose, CA...this will also attract businesses in the technology sector who will no doubt, build downtown. All of this will generate more hotels.  It's all interconnected. 

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

I'd like there to be enough demand for the building of a new hotel, not just a renovation of an old building. If we could get a new arena and be able to draw in major acts, I can see where building more hotels  downtown are a real possibility. 

Is it possible to expand the current convention center?  This is another thing that would increase the demand for more hotels - conventions and major shows. While our convention center is good, it is far inferior to other convention centers in other markets that draw in more people. 

Finally, tourism needs to significantly surge to increase demand for hotel rooms. I think the new Civil War Center is a positive step in the right direction.  Richmond needs to continue to capitalize on its assets to also include the art museums (which they are doing a pretty good job of doing), the ICA will help too. If beer tourism is what Richmond wants to tackle, they need to go all out and be THE place to go for beer tourism...Richmond needs its claim to fame other than the Capital of the Confederacy, which carries a negative connotation in today's society. Richmond needs to embrace being even more "hip" where millennials want to be and live.  Richmond is doing some of this, but hasn't caught on enough to carry a reputation such as places like Austin, TX; Portland, OR; San Jose, CA...this will also attract businesses in the technology sector who will no doubt, build downtown. All of this will generate more hotels.  It's all interconnected. 

Speaking of the new arena, july 1st, which is the date that a proposal could be revealed, is right around the corner. If a new arena gets built, I think it could really help spur development in the biotech district and Jackson Ward. Very interested to see what happens.

• Like 1

Valley West Apartments has broken ground recently.  This is located across 20th from American Tobacco Center bounded by 19/20th St. and E. Franklin/Grace St.

Old article for reference:  http://richmondbizsense.com/2015/05/28/developers-plan-24m-shockoe-bottom-project/

Edited by Icetera
Added reference

2 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Valley West Apartments has broken ground recently.  This is located across 20th from American Tobacco Center bounded by 19/20th St. and E. Franklin/Grace St.

Old article for reference:  http://richmondbizsense.com/2015/05/28/developers-plan-24m-shockoe-bottom-project/

Great news!  Good to see the construction of many announced projects start. This will be a sweet addition to Shockoe Bottom. Drove through downtown yesterday on I-95 and love the new 8-story apartment building going up in Shockoe as well - very prominent on the east side...and the only construction crane visible in the skyline at the moment. 

To everyone:

Any movement on 3Twenty One yet? How about the Richmond Plaza...any demo yet?

On May 13, 2016 at 0:45 PM, hikendesign said:

Took the estimated schedules of the new developments and created a time line chart - trying to determine when these buildings begin and what the overlap of construction would like in our skyline.  The Suntrust is pushed back to 2018 though they said 2017, so it may be earlier, not seeing anything moving there yet makes me suspicious as to the completion date on that one.  These are all just their estimates but gives an interesting look at when we could expect an overlap of high-rise construction.

building chart.jpg

Wonder what this would look like updated to include the condo tower on Pear St. in Shockoe, the possibility of the Uphoff tower being built during this timeframe, and who knows what other large developments are on the table (not revealed yet).  Things could get very interesting in the skyline in 2017...especially the latter part of the year!