Richmond Developments

Cotuit

15 minutes ago, 540_804 said:

I used to think the same way but honestly I don't think we should necessarily aspire to bringing national retailers in. We have enough high quality, home grown businesses to occupy the area. 

National Retailers serve nothing but to attract suburbanites in which isn't bad, per se, but it shouldn't be the end goal. We should develop the city for the city. Think about the success of Carytown. It's largely been successful without those national retailers (though they are starting to pop up more and more). There's no reason we can't recreate something like that on East Cary -- in fact, it's already happening. Of course, for now (and for  the foreseeable future) it looks like that'll mostly be a restaurant stretch (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but perhaps in the future we'll see a more diverse offering. Maybe someone like Alton Lane or Ledbury (destination stores that attract customers for hundreds of miles away) can open a shop there. 

While I agree that local retail is great, it is also usually much more expensive. I would like the core of Richmond to become a place where people can live and shop at an affordable rate. Ledbury is great, but your average person in the east Grace neighborhood is not buying their clothes there. I live on Foushee just a few blocks down from the east Grace area and would actually love some national retailers. One thing these companies do more than local companies it sell more stuff. This brings more tax revenue to the city. It's actually one of the problems Richmond has. All of the large national retailers are outside of the city limits, and even the "urban folk" need to go to these places sometimes which takes the tax revenue out of the city and to the suburbs. Having a FEW stores to anchor the area and bring people in would be perfect. I'm not saying we need every major tenant at Short Pump to be downtown but these large stores make business people feel safe and it would attract other business, such as local retail. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2016 at 7:49 AM, Richmonopoly said:

This was great news to wake up to... I love the height and the design.  

And I can concur, the pedestrian activity throughout downtown has increased significantly.  I live near the Marriott's in the Slip and the increased activity from those two hotels alone is very telling.  With the two hotels that have opened in the CBD, I am certain that this will create a new after hours buzz.  

I had friends from NC visiting with their two small children this past weekend and they were shocked by the size of the downtown footprint.  We went to Graffiato's on Broad on Friday and were stunned by the First Friday's activity on our work from the Hilton (another testament to the liveliness of downtown RVA.  

Now, if we could just sprinkle East Grace with some national retailers... :tw_glasses:

What is it about the design that you like?  It seems totally incongruous with just about everything in that part of the city and looks like something that could have been sent via teleporter from Northern Virginia.

Va. Beach developer bites on former DGIF headquarters.

"Kotarides filed a plan of development for the site that included tearing down the existing 64,000 square of office space and replacing it with as many as 238 apartments and retail space."

According to a previous article "Kotarides’ plan calls for the construction of a four-story, 51,000-square-foot building and another four-story, 11,900-square-foot building with ground-level parking."

I really hope it isn't ruined by too much ground level parking.  This will be right on Broad, which will really help out the BRT.  Between VCU and Willow Lawn, Broad still needs a lot of development to happen if BRT is going to be successful.

Edited by RiverYuppy

12 hours ago, 540_804 said:

I used to think the same way but honestly I don't think we should necessarily aspire to bringing national retailers in. We have enough high quality, home grown businesses to occupy the area. 

National Retailers serve nothing but to attract suburbanites in which isn't bad, per se, but it shouldn't be the end goal. We should develop the city for the city. Think about the success of Carytown. It's largely been successful without those national retailers (though they are starting to pop up more and more). There's no reason we can't recreate something like that on East Cary -- in fact, it's already happening. Of course, for now (and for  the foreseeable future) it looks like that'll mostly be a restaurant stretch (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but perhaps in the future we'll see a more diverse offering. Maybe someone like Alton Lane or Ledbury (destination stores that attract customers for hundreds of miles away) can open a shop there. 

Take it from someone from NYC, you need the chains, I'm not going to go to 5th ave in Manhattan for undershirts and paper towels, I'd go to the Target down in Flatbush.

• Like 1

Two little bits of news:

Looks like the new General Assembly Building is going to happen:

http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/government-politics/general-assembly/article_822240f7-e60f-5a5b-b371-0efccc81fddc.html

Also it appears the east end may be getting a grocery store:

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/article_8a79004b-04b3-56db-95e8-659dc6847ac0.html

It's a shame to see one of the few pieces of the Beaux Arts, cladded in real lime stone perish, but it seems that the law makers of this land need newer marble floors for their shiny shoes, when schools all across the commonwealth are in need of funds, and don't get me started on our states transportation needs. 

"Legislators say the replacement of the General Assembly Building is not for their comfort, but to address dire public health, safety and liability issues raised in a 2012 consultant’s report that warned of a sudden shutdown if deteriorating asbestos insulation in one wing of the building gets into the air handling system."

would it not be cheaper to just gut the one wing and use the money else where in the state? 

This is like tearing down the house because the insulation in the attic is bad. 

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 8.52.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 9.04.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 9.28.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 9.28.45 PM.png

Edited by Marcus Squires

On 4/9/2016 at 9:41 PM, drayrichmond said:

Take it from someone from NYC, you need the chains, I'm not going to go to 5th ave in Manhattan for undershirts and paper towels, I'd go to the Target down in Flatbush.

I guess my issue is that, in my mind at least, there's no place (literally and otherwise) for a national retailer, particularly a big box store, on East Grace in particular.  Unless they spent a not insignificant amount of effort and money on preserving the architecture on that stretch. Despite its current status of diamond in the rough, E. Grace remains perhaps the most picturesque street in all of downtown.

A little farther west into Monroe Ward are several lots on East Grace (near Foushee) that could accommodate a national retailer or even just south of East Grace over on Main or Cary there are many lots that would be prime for an urban concept Target, for example, with first floor retail and upper floor living (or even several floors of public parking).

1 hour ago, 540_804 said:

I guess my issue is that, in my mind at least, there's no place (literally and otherwise) for a national retailer, particularly a big box store, on East Grace in particular.  Unless they spent a not insignificant amount of effort and money on preserving the architecture on that stretch. Despite its current status of diamond in the rough, E. Grace remains perhaps the most picturesque street in all of downtown.

A little farther west into Monroe Ward are several lots on East Grace (near Foushee) that could accommodate a national retailer or even just south of East Grace over on Main or Cary there are many lots that would be prime for an urban concept Target, for example, with first floor retail and upper floor living (or even several floors of public parking).

I agree that the part of E. Grace your talking about is really picturesque and any sort of national retailer just wouldn't fit there, be it size or style, we need to keep that part of the street the style that it is. 

Yeah in NYC we have 2 or 3 floor targets with parking garages, along with the target they usually have a couple other staple retailers in the same building (its like a weird vertical mall), such as Bath and Body Works, Victoria Secrets, etc.. There are plenty of lots around town that could accommodate a center of this style and I hope something like this comes to richmond that way I can keep my shopping in the city. I think the vast wastes of space that are the parking lots around Shockoe Bottom would be great for something like this given its position with the interstate. 

To give you guys a better idea, this is the target I would go to regularly in Brooklyn, the architecture is nothing special, its just to show that a target with other stuff can fit on a city block.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6843915,-73.9776894,3a,75y,36.48h,95.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSgRcr06GI417HzDhbRir0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

I would love for one of these to be built in Richmond

12 hours ago, Marcus Squires said:

It's a shame to see one of the few pieces of the Beaux Arts, cladded in real lime stone perish, but it seems that the law makers of this land need newer marble floors for their shiny shoes, when schools all across the commonwealth are in need of funds, and don't get me started on our states transportation needs. 

"Legislators say the replacement of the General Assembly Building is not for their comfort, but to address dire public health, safety and liability issues raised in a 2012 consultant’s report that warned of a sudden shutdown if deteriorating asbestos insulation in one wing of the building gets into the air handling system."

would it not be cheaper to just gut the one wing and use the money else where in the state? 

This is like tearing down the house because the insulation in the attic is bad. 

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 8.52.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 9.04.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 9.28.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 9.28.45 PM.png

Couple of things on this. First of all this is a lot of state money, not city money. While I agree our schools need help we can't just take money that exists in funds for certain things and apply them to local schools. Unfortunately that just not how it works. Also while I'm not 100% sure, I think it is the building next to this that will be torn down, the one on the corner of 9th and broad. They ARE attached but I have a hard time accepting that we would tear down such beautiful architecture. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

On 4/9/2016 at 9:41 PM, drayrichmond said:

Bingo.  I know chains are not hip and "local" is, but most people need chains.  I've lived in the City for 27 years.  I have bought many pairs of underwear, sock, t-shirts, jeans, TVs, electronics, cooking supplies, etc. etc. etc. and much up if, but for the Target purchases, has been bought in the counties.  If we just polled every city resident and asked then the top 5 things you leave the City to purchase, that would be a good road-map for the boulevard development....imo.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tparkerzut said:

Couple of things on this. First of all this is a lot of state money, not city money. While I agree our schools need help we can't just take money that exists in funds for certain things and apply them to local schools. Unfortunately that just not how it works. Also while I'm not 100% sure, I think it is the building next to this that will be torn down, the one on the corner of 9th and broad. They ARE attached but I have a hard time accepting that we would tear down such beautiful architecture. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Historic Richmond has actually listed this whole building as endangered, https://historicrichmond.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Historic-Richmond-GAB-Statement_Final-Aug10-2015-00000002.pdf

Also the gothic city hall was also slated for demolition at one time if you want to save the legislative building feel free to call the clerks who are overseeing this process here are their phone numbers 

Clerk of the House of Delegates: The Honorable G. Paul Nardo at (804)-698-1619

Clerk of the Senate: The Honorable Susan Clarke Schaar at (804) 698-7400

http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/04/12/downtown-redevelopment-marks-centennial/ 

The Centennial and its 24 apartments are opening this week but the more exciting news is:

"The second phase includes construction of an eight-story building on an adjacent lot along Sixth Street.

That building – two stories higher than originally planned – will consist of 84 apartments above parking on the ground level, as well as 2,500 square feet of retail. That’s an increase from initial plans for 50 units and 2,000 square feet of retail above two levels of parking."

Centennial1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, varunner said:

The Centennial and its 24 apartments are opening this week but the more exciting news is:

"The second phase includes construction of an eight-story building on an adjacent lot along Sixth Street.

That building – two stories higher than originally planned – will consist of 84 apartments above parking on the ground level, as well as 2,500 square feet of retail. That’s an increase from initial plans for 50 units and 2,000 square feet of retail above two levels of parking."

Centennial1.jpg

While that is good news, it pales in comparison to the two 25-30 story towers that WERE to go up there. I still wish they would resurrect that plan, but too late now though.

Thanks for posting. I'm glad that they are finally moving on with some development there. 

3 hours ago, varunner said:

That is exciting!  The more people downtown the better!

Also, I'm glad to see changes in initial development plans that are for the better.  Two extra floors, 500 extra square feet of retail space, and one level less of parking!  I don't think I could have asked for a better change.

EDIT:  Just noticed, apparently there were supposed to be 25-30 floors originally :(

Edited by RiverYuppy

37 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

That is exciting!  The more people downtown the better!

Also, I'm glad to see changes in initial development plans that are for the better.  Two extra floors, 500 extra square feet of retail space, and one level less of parking!  I don't think I could have asked for a better change.

EDIT:  Just noticed, apparently there were supposed to be 25-30 floors originally :(

Yes, but that was in 2007. The world is a very different place. 

14 hours ago, varunner said:

Centennial1.jpg

Good! Fill in those lots!

Man I really wish centennial tower had happened but at least we get something to go in its place. Anyone remember about an old proposal called pinnacle place? Some development company called bob Cole development was supposed to build it, what ever came of that? Dead I'm assuming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On February 10, 2016 at 0:23 PM, varunner said:

http://chpn.net/news/2016/02/11/apartments-office-space-proposed-for-jefferson-avenue_48788/ 

Matt Jarreau and Daniil Kleyman, both Church Hill residents, shared preliminary plans last night for a mixed-use development in the mostly vacant triangle bound by Jefferson Avenue, M Street, and 24th Street.

The duo propose a building with 13,000 square feet of office space on the first floor, and a mix of 20 1- and 2-bedroom apartments on the upper floors. The office space would be available as private offices, and also as a shared co-working space. Some parking would be offered on the interior of the building, with street parking carrying most of the load.

The scale is akin to the development spitballed as part of theGreening America’s Capitals meetings last year on Jefferson Avenue.

As the lot is in the city-designated Union Hill Old & Historic District, any development will need to be approved by the Commission of Architectural Review. A Special Use Permit to allow the requested height due to the current zoning (UB-PE4).

Kleyman stresses that these images by Todd Dykshorn are definitely not the final renderings. Last night’s meeting was set up well in advance of going to CAR, Kleyman says, so that they could get community feedback.

unnamed-535x283.jpg

Here is an update to the plans:

http://chpn.net/news/2016/04/14/updated-plans-for-jefferson-avenue-development_50189/ 

C.jpgB.jpgA.jpg

• Like 2