Richmond Developments

Cotuit

A couple of questions:

1.  Where is the location of parking for the Frist Freedom development?  I ask since caisson installation is ongoing at ground level.

2.  Every time I see Richmond Plaza, I wonder when will a developer(s) propose a development of much more significance.  Are there any definite proposals?

Edited by Shakman

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/index.php/news/article/324447?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily

Demand for Richmond area apartments remained strong over the past six months, with an occupancy rate of 93.4 percent. That means the vacancy rate is 6.6 percent, nearly the same as a 6.2 percent vacancy rate in July 2012.

That figure comes from Real Data, a Charlotte-based multi-family real estate firm that tracks the apartment industry.

Growth continues primarily in Richmond’s Central Business submarket in and around downtown. According to Real Data, there is approximately 2,700 units under-construction, of which 1,500 are in the Central submarket. The average monthly rental rate is $907.

This is good news.  Eventually, all the possible rehab options for apartments will be exhausted and new construction will take over...hopefully, some highrise apartments downtown will be in Richmond's near future!

Richmond is developing a Bike Master Plan :D and it is asking for public input in the form of a survey..... at least they aren't conducting a study (the word study used in Richmond context) :P

http://shockoenews.com/2013/08/14/help-with-the-richmond-bicycle-master-plan/

"Study used in the Richmond context"?

You mean when we pay a team of outside consultants $250k to determine if an idea should be studied further? :P

"Study used in the Richmond context"?

You mean when we pay a team of outside consultants $250k to determine if an idea should be studied further? :P

Funny at first, but not a joke when the taxpayer's money is being wasted on a bunch of studies that go nowhere.  Richmond needs to stop all the studying and make a decision for goodness sakes!  Think of the study done for a new arena...that's gone nowhere and by the time someone does decide to do something about it, the study will be too old to use (it's already too old to use), which results in another study!  If Richmond wants to get anything done quickly, they need to follow the model used to expeditiously plan and build the Redskins camp!  That thing sprung up in less than 9 months!  Why can't we get sponsors to help finance an arena and perhaps draw an NHL or NBA team?  The Capital One-Genworth Arena or the Altria - MWV Arena...come on, someone has bound to have come up with this before me.  If so, why hasn't it happened?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Not sure where to put this but this is in reference to the portion of riverside track through Rockett's Landing:

"Virginia Capital Trail – CSX has formally relinquished its rights to use the rail track, which is the first step in a lengthy process. Now the Rail and Transportation Commission starts to consider it more of a trail than a rail. No train has used the track since September 2012. By the end of Summer 2013 we should have a better idea of the schedule for the removal of the tracks and trail construction. City of Richmond will be responsible for maintaining the trail within its boundaries, and VDOT will maintain Henrico County’s portion (Varina’s side). Trail is to be completed by mid-2014, about a year from now. (Links for further info: http://www.railstotrails.org/index.html,
http://virginiacapitaltrail.org/)"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could a 13 story condo tower rise at the eastern end of Tobacco Row?

http://www.rensva.com/is-richmonds-condo-market-ready-to-rise/

condo_tower_image.jpg

Developer David White filed plans with the city in June for a 13-story, 140,000-square-foot condo tower at the east end of Shockoe Bottom where East Cary Street terminates, according to city documents.

White, who is a business partner with long-time Richmond developer Louis Salomonsky, did not return calls for comment by press time. Plans filed with the city show the planned tower would be located at the intersection of East Cary and Pear streets, next to Forest City’s Tobacco Row development.

The project, called The James at River Bend, would be the first condo development on this scale in the city since the market collapsed in the recession. City records show White purchased the property last year for $600,000.

In order to move forward with the project, White will have to obtain a special use permit from the city. The tower will partially obstruct a view of downtown from Libby Hill, something guaranteed to raise the ire of the Church Hill neighborhood association.

In order to move forward with the project, White will have to obtain a special use permit from the city. The tower will partially obstruct a view of downtown from Libby Hill, something guaranteed to raise the ire of the Church Hill neighborhood association.

Great find!  Of course there's going to be opposition...there's opposition to do anything in the Bottom these days!  Why can't these folks just open their arms and welcome devlopments like this!  Gee people (just a little frustrated)!  Anyway, thanks for posting!

After scanning through the documents that Blake_p posted (thanks for posing, by-the-way), I predict that this project will be scrubbed and not built.  This project will "ruin" the view at Libby Hill of the city skyline and therefore will meet too much resistance for the developer to build.  It won't be worth the investment if the developer has to lower the height (since he is looking to sell the higher-floor units at a higher price because of the view).  So, if it is required that the developer lower the height, this project won't happen.  I hope the developer is prepared for this.  He has a steep, uphill battle.  I, on the other hand, I like it and support it.  I'm just making my prediction now.  Remember Echo Harbor (may it rest in peace) - the folks on that hill hate any development that has any kind of height and they have a very LOUD voice.

I know it'll be rejected sadly. I always keep this very thin sliver of hope if one day those old crones will lighten up a bit for something nice. It's not as if their building the Empire State Building in front of the hill, they have no incentive to worry and get their blood pressures so high.

It's time for something nice, and something that shows the market is recovering, this project is a symbol of both.

In other news: 

Mixed-use project grows on Richmond’s waterfront

We find out more about the plan for the lot at 10th and Byrd as well as this project's second phase.

The five-story building will be 80,000 square feet, with parking on the first floor, he said.

Souter said the building would cost around $9 million. The developers are finalizing the details of the financing. KBS will be the general contractor for the building.

Since the project is not a tax credit deal, it frees the developers up to provide a few extra perks to residents. Tax credit developers have to preserve the historic character of the building meaning that they can’t make too many changes to the outside..

“Because its new construction, each unit will have a balcony and look out over either the river or the canal,” he said.

About the lot at 10th and Byrd:

Part of the the site, 1.26-acre plot at 10th and Byrd street, is listed for sale. Jeff Cooke, a broker with Cushman & Wakefield {sodEmoji.|} Thalhimer who represents the site said it was originally being marketed as a straight office tower site but is now being shopped as mixed use.

“Well, without a big office tenant in the market, the site will probably lean towards a mix of office and residential,” Cooke said. “Probably apartments. With the mix of downtown and river views it could be quite nice.”

Souter said the developers have an idea for the site if the property does not sell.

“If it sells, great,” he said. “If not, we’re prepared to develop it ourselves.”

http://www.rensva.com/mixed-use-project-grows-on-richmonds-waterfront/

Edited by eandslee

As a bunch of you may have heard, a big decision on whether to build a needed amphitheater for the state's largest music/food festival Richmond Folk Festival will be made next week.

http://rvanews.com/news/explainer-amphitheater-project-will-decide-the-folk-festivals-fate/102327

Also, that canal bed (you'll read more in that article) will be hopefully redeveloped and will possibly include full restoration of water all the way up to Maymont, allowing a pedestrian and bike way along side the canal which may allow canal boats. If you ask me, a win win situation.

http://www.richmondfolkfestival.org/tredegar_green/index.html

However, of course the citizens of Oregon Hill seem to have a problem with that (why am I not surprised). Apparently they just don't want anything to happen at all, which would leave the site as it is and possible lead to the death of the Folk Festival. Oh well.

I've been keeping up with this one...if the full restoration of the canal happens, it will be waaaaaaay in the future.  Right now, it's more a vision than anything.  I sort of doubt it will happen in our lifetime.  Thanks for the reminder on this, I'll be keeping tabs on it next week!  I'm in favor of the amphitheater being built - what a nice addition to the downtown atmosphere!

However, of course the citizens of Oregon Hill seem to have a problem with that (why am I not surprised). Apparently they just don't want anything to happen at all, which would leave the site as it is and possible lead to the death of the Folk Festival. Oh well.

It's only a couple of very vocal Oregon Hill residents that are speaking out against this development. I'd like to consider them a special interest group that are against any progress in this city.

I'm an Oregon Hill homeowner and endorse this project all the way! Bring on the revitalization of downtown and the riverfront!

• Like 1