Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Seriously. The opposition to this is infuriating. If anything the proposed building is too small.

I used to work in the red brick building next door to the lot in question and this project would be a huge boon for Monroe Ward.  The lot has been an overgrown parking lot for as long as I can remember.  This project needs to go through.  It serve as a catalyst for developing the overgrown parking lot immediately across 1st Street.  

Seriously. The opposition to this is infuriating. If anything the proposed building is too small.

I used to work in the red brick building next door to the lot in question and this project would be a huge boon for Monroe Ward.  The lot has been an overgrown parking lot for as long as I can remember.  This project needs to go through.  It serve as a catalyst for developing the overgrown parking lot immediately across 1st Street.  

Interestingly it seems like all the opposition is coming from the owner and employees of Cape Fear publishing. 

I thought VCU was going to buy this property for some "future use" (future football stadium?).  This is the first time I've heard of a plan to build a multi-purpose arena here.  Not sure I'm in favor of that idea.  What do you think?

http://www.richmonbizsense.com/2014/02/04/carytown-stadium-planning-moves-forward/'>http://www.richmonbizsense.com/2014/02/04/carytown-stadium-planning-moves-forward/

None of the plans are very interesting, but I guess not every lot in town needs to be exciting, basic services (like a multipurpose arena) should be provided. I like it in that will hasten the destruction of the Arthur Ashe Center which will start to erode support for not replacing the Diamond.

I wasn't a fan of the past Bottom plans but this latest one seems pretty solid. It is time to see it realized. Shifting sporting events away from the Boulevard would start the proverbial ball rolling.

• Like 1

I can't post links... it doesn't work for me... so... http://chpn.net/news/2014/02/04/the-james-river-bend-aka-pear-street_31771

Apparently I can type it out... what about this?

Eh, I can't say that I like this. 

At least not in that location. As someone said, it looks kinda like something from the 70s. 

If they tripled the height and moved it closer to the financial district, I think it'd look a lot nicer (one can only dream!). 

Also, that building looks massive for only 32 units. 

I took a run downtown this afternoon (should have brought a camera)...

• The walls of the old Reynolds metals building on the Canal Walk are almost all down.
  • The Marriots on Cary St. in Shockoe Slip are starting on the second floor.
  • The new apartments on Tobacco Row look nice. They're doing interior work now.
  • The empty space next to MeadWestVaco would be a great spot for a signature tower.

I took a run downtown this afternoon (should have brought a camera)...

• The walls of the old Reynolds metals building on the Canal Walk are almost all down.
  • The Marriots on Cary St. in Shockoe Slip are starting on the second floor.
  • The new apartments on Tobacco Row look nice. They're doing interior work now.
  • The empty space next to MeadWestVaco would be a great spot for a signature tower.

Careful!  If you try to plop a tower there the Oregon Hill people will complain about obstructing their view of... well... other towers...

Careful!  If you try to plop a tower there the Oregon Hill people will complain about obstructing their view of... well... other towers...

Ughh, I own a condo in OH and believe me the 2-3 VERY vocal opponents of all development in this city do not speak for all of OH (although they wish they did). They need to be called out whenever possible (as I often do).

• Like 1

Ughh, I own a condo in OH and believe me the 2-3 VERY vocal opponents of all development in this city do not speak for all of OH (although they wish they did). They need to be called out whenever possible (as I often do).

I recall one them on RCW back when the first Foundry Park plans were revealed.  I still see him comment a lot in news articles but I do not believe I have ever seen him on UP, oddly.

Edited by Icetera

Scott Burger?

He comments on a lot of the RVANews articles whenever they post about any type or form of development. Jesus, he's very passionate about anti-development.

I wish I could find one of the articles where he commented. I'll go look for one...

Ah! Found one. Here's one from a couple of months ago when RVANews was reporting about the "Tredegar Green" amphitheater for the Folk Fest, which, if following original plans, would restore the canal the amphitheater cuts through and run it all the way to Maymont with pedestrian and biking access.

http://rvanews.com/news/explainer-amphitheater-project-will-decide-the-folk-festivals-fate

Now scroll down to the comments and just look at the one by Scott Burger. That's enough writing to write a short story book.

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

He comments on a lot of the RVANews articles whenever they post about any type or form of development. Jesus, he's very passionate about anti-development.

I wish I could find one of the articles where he commented. I'll go look for one...

Took me less than a minute.  I can find better:

http://hillsandheights.org/2014/01/16/city-unveils-plan-for-browns-island-dam-walk/

• Like 1

Personally, with all the snarky comments and smack talk Venture Richmond gets from all these people, I can't really find justifiable reason to hate them. Sure, the tax-exemption status may be a tricky topic, but they're probably doing the best they can to at least bring people to downtown.

HUGE makeovers in store for Capitol Square.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/state-regional/virginia-politics/general-assembly/million-makeover-planned-for-capitol-complex/article_12369d12-4dfd-5fc7-a840-8e282a660a90.html

Can someone confirm that THIS is the General Assembly building that is being demolished

679714-Large.jpg

and NOT THIS one?!?

DSC_0065.jpg

I can't stand to see such a lovely looking building be replaced with anything else, please tell me it's not this one

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

I know that the Western (old IBM) building has been the one with major issues lately but based on this article it appears both buildings would be replaced.  I cannot say that I am thrilled with that idea.  At least the lot cleared for the new state office building would become a nice parking garage...