Union Square

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I chimed in here: we've been living at Union Square for nearly 6 months now, and we're pretty pleased with our decision. Downtown is fun and convenient, and certainly fits with our lifestyle. The people living here have been very friendly and considerate. The difficulties have been pretty infrequent.

The only thing I'd like to see done at this point is something happen with the restaurant/bar space (and, for that matter, the coffee shop and convenience store spaces). Putting in something simple like a 7p-1a lounge with catered deli food seems like a good idea, with maybe extended hours on the weekends. It would eliminate the need for a full commercial kitchen, and would probably be more profitable than a full restaurant. Don't get me wrong! Ideally, I would love for something like Bar Divani or Bistro Bella Vita to go in there. But that seems like a tough sell, so I'm willing to settle for an upscale lounge (not a divey bar). If anyone knows a savvy entrepreneur who wants to earn some coin from a captive audience, tell them about the space.

I don't think this space will work well at all for a restaurant entrepreneur. No parking... security issues... etc. etc.

We haven't had many issues lately as the association hired a security person to do the rounds Thurs, Fri, Sat evenings b/c it was getting waaaay out of hand w/inconsiderate, loud visitors, etc.

I think the space should be sold as a small office or similar use.

Anyone game for a cool office space?

Joe, it has its ups and downs. Overall it seems pretty quiet, and most of the shenanigans that take place (tipped over street signs, smashed glass bottles, trash left on people's cars, etc) seems to be caused by the douchebag party boys who are stumbling back to their cars from Monte's on Friday or Saturday nights. That's what I've witnessed anyway; maybe other residents have different stories. Construction of the rain garden project under the overpass looks like it's progressing full throttle though. Should be super-cool when it's done.

Is it pretty walkable? I guess what I am getting at is do you get the feeling it is "Fortress Union Square", or do people really get out into the surrounding neighborhood (taking walks, bike rides, etc.)?

Joe

The neighborhood is OK. Same issues as with any neighborhood, really. After all, we are dealing with imperfect human beings, which exist everywhere (including EGR, where I spent my high school years).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived