River House Condominiums

GRCentro

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please forgive me if this is already somewhere in the thread.

A cool factoid I read under facts.

" If completed, this will be the tallest building in Grand Rapids, and the tallest all-residential building in Michigan. "

I would love nothing more than for Riverhouse to start a battle of the tallest in GR ala New York skyscraper building in the 1920's. Though GR would need to be about 2 - 3 times the size and economic power than it currently is to absorb a building boom of that nature. But who knows the VanAndels and Devoses have twice built the tallest building in GR, the Amway Grand Plaza, and Plaza Tower (Eastbank Waterfront Tower when first built). They may go a third time to out do the developers of River House to show that they are still the big cheeses of this town.

To correct you on one thing, the Devos' and Van Andels did not build the Plaza Towers, or Eastbank Riverfront. They only bought it in the mid 90's after the person who built it was sued went to jail and the buildings ownership damn near went bankrupt.

Please forgive me if this is already somewhere in the thread.

A cool factoid I read under facts.

" If completed, this will be the tallest building in Grand Rapids, and the tallest all-residential building in Michigan. "

The 2 words that are interesting to me are in fact the 1st 2 - "if completed" :unsure:

Where the heck were you quoting me from? :blink:

Not to temper your enthusiasm, but that crane is going to be the tallest thing onsite for a while. I think it's being used to dig some foundation stuff. They were moving around some big augers and what looked like a gigantic hole saw.

Where the heck were you quoting me from? :blink:

Not to temper your enthusiasm, but that crane is going to be the tallest thing onsite for a while. I think it's being used to dig some foundation stuff. They were moving around some big augers and what looked like a gigantic hole saw.

// snoogit: you can add stuff inside this neat little box :)

I took your photos out of the quote marks (and substituted a short description)

in any case its still signs of life on this site.

in any case its still signs of life on this site.

I maybe reading your statement wrong. But it sounds like Riverhouse stands a chance of not being built, to which I hope is not true. I'm rooting for Riverhouse as I would love to see something taller than Plaza Tower be built. I've even added it to my 3-D model of Grand Rapids I'm working on and I'm blown away at how it will affect the skyline.

The "if built" and "if completed" stuff is pretty normal for projects that aren't yet built. That doesn't mean there's any indication that it won't be built. You could say the same thing about Icon, yet it's already up a few floors. It's still possible it wouldn't be completed, but that's highly unlikely.

-nb

Here are a few pictures I took and received from this past Thursday:

The Caisson Crane and Drill that is scheduled to drill/create 1 caisson per day for the next 57 working days.

237323319_c3db4cbcd0_b.jpg

237324009_f554211003_b.jpg

237323652_35d17a6aa4_b.jpg

Here are two pictures of the first Caisson being poured. The pictures were taken by Rachel Leiter.

237748007_ca7df264b6_b.jpg

237748005_7174b5a8f9_b.jpg

Here is a picture of the same Caisson that I took a few hours later.

237319658_52476953af_b.jpg

Some pictures of them working on the second Caisson.

237322968_f9a8578b57_b.jpg

237320920_80c5ec7cdf_b.jpg

237318927_fc9c3bfa19_b.jpg

Work still continues along Bridge Street too.

237321899_e663d30fcc_b.jpg

237320633_5d2b74a120_b.jpg

237748007_ca7df264b6_b.jpg

Hang on tight, fellas!

237748005_7174b5a8f9_b.jpg

"Hey, that climbing wall practice comes in handy!"

Some pictures of them working on the second Caisson.

237322968_f9a8578b57_b.jpg

"Wonder what's for lunch? Should I buy that car or keep looking? Hope I didn't drop my phone in here."

Seriously, thanks for these. I've wondered about caissons...

• 2 weeks later...

Another one of my little video/photostorys using pictures from the Riverhouse site. Music courtesy of postal workers in Ghana hand canceling mail and whistling as they work.

The lucky condo owners are going to have some spectacular views. Infact, wheres my 300 grand? I want one.

Archived