Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

This article from the Sentinel about Altamonte Springs points out one of the more interesting planning approaches to tame suburbia.

Altamonte was a "wide spot in the road" suburb that exploded with the opening of Altamonte Mall in 1974 (one of the few mid level malls to survive unscathed hereabouts and in fact thrive.) 

Widely known as where you moved "after your first divorce," Altamonte will likely never have the same small town cachet of WP, WG or (Delightful!) DeLand, but city planners, with the development of Crane's Roost in the '80's, made the place look more like a community and less like a sprawl magnet.

I always hoped the city might work with the mall and provide incentives to replace the acres of surface parking with a parking tower and a park like connection for pedestrians over to Cranes Roost to establish more of a downtown. So far, that's been a no go but that stretch of 436 certainly beats anything in Casselberry or East Orlando.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/neighborhood-guide/os-altamonte-springs-neighborhood-guide-20170625-htmlstory.html

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 3

The giant smiling woman will devour us all!

The billboard does detract from the shot, but alas, I could not find a way to move it. LOL. 

Also interesting to note, that giant steel pillar in the foreground is entirely for a bird's nest. I don't know if it was a bald eagle on site or what, but I did see a hawk fly under the bridge I was riding on just before I took this shot. Kinda cool to see flying below you!

Edited by dcluley98

On 7/9/2017 at 0:46 PM, spenser1058 said:

This article from the Sentinel about Altamonte Springs points out one of the more interesting planning approaches to tame suburbia.

Altamonte was a "wide spot in the road" suburb that exploded with the opening of Altamonte Mall in 1974 (one of the few mid level malls to survive unscathed hereabouts and in fact thrive.) 

Widely known as where you moved "after your first divorce," Altamonte will likely never have the same small town cachet of WP, WG or (Delightful!) DeLand, but city planners, with the development of Crane's Roost in the '80's, made the place look more like a community and less like a sprawl magnet.

I always hoped the city might work with the mall and provide incentives to replace the acres of surface parking with a parking tower and a park like connection for pedestrians over to Cranes Roost to establish more of a downtown. So far, that's been a no go but that stretch of 436 certainly beats anything in Casselberry or East Orlando.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/neighborhood-guide/os-altamonte-springs-neighborhood-guide-20170625-htmlstory.html

I agree, the whole area around Uptown/Crane's Roost, the mall, and even the hospital and the I-4 Eyesore Majesty Building (if it ever gets done) can be better connected. By condensing the parking into garages and constructing infill apartments and office buildings, Altamonte can really begin to have something that resembles a downtown.

Edited by metal93
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, metal93 said:

I agree, the whole area around Uptown/Crane's Roost, the mall, and even the hospital and the I-4 Eyesore Majesty Building (if it ever gets done) can be better connected. By condensing the parking into garages and constructing infill apartments and office buildings, Altamonte can really begin to have something that resembles a downtown.

They started it with the Altamonte cinema with two garages, one which has grade access at the back entrance to that dept store closest to it, and underneath, and with the Uptown Altamonte development and semi-integration of the plazas fronting 436.  That part is cool.  They really need to redo stuff on the north side of the mall.  Also, the Emerson condo towers were supposed to be 7 towers I think, but...ya know...

• Like 2

Sooooooooo. Cricket anyone? The OBJ sent me a tease (b/c I don't subscribe) talking about a professional cricket league and stadium here in O-Town. Searching led me to Dallas BJ without the paywall. Besides Dallas talk about DC, NJ, NY, GA, and I forget the other two. Surprisingly not Detroit. Making it a summer league. Here is a March SB Nation that talks about the league and the principal investor:

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/1/14725986/jay-pandya-interview-cricket-usa-2-billion-investment

But for the speculation (unless OBJ said where) and desire for what location it is to be built. I fear Lake Nona, but I hope around downtown. But where?

Sorry, here is the link to the Dallas BJ article with rendering:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2017/07/17/texas-on-tap-for-new-u-s-cricket-stadium-with-help.html

• Like 1

The heart of the "British invasion" tends to be roughly the 4 Corners area extending east toward Kissimmee and north toward Clermont. 

That would seem to make the most sense to reach the base although maybe I'm missing fans from South Asia or Caribbean members of the Commonwealth?

For all the Brits who buy vacation property in central Florida, there has rarely been much interest in downtown.

Having no clue about cricket outside of British novels, all of that's just guesswork. I welcome anyone to hoist the Union Jack and enlighten this good ol' boy from the orange groves.

Interesting, of all sports I didn't imagine cricket could be coming here. If they do build, hopefully it's kept within the general sports corridor down Church Street, or possibly around the Citrus Bowl (I refuse to call it Camping World Stadium), there's a ton of empty land there.

• Like 2

If all that surface parking and all those towers in the rendering are the goal, I doubt they would find that much land in downtown Orlando. Towards Kissimmee makes sense, since that's where most of Orlando's Indian community is, as well as the Brits as spenser mentioned.

But can we talk about the fact that a cricket game is usually 8 hours...? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alex said:

If all that surface parking and all those towers in the rendering are the goal, I doubt they would find that much land in downtown Orlando. Towards Kissimmee makes sense, since that's where most of Orlando's Indian community is, as well as the Brits as spenser mentioned.

But can we talk about the fact that a cricket game is usually 8 hours...? 

OMG.  That's an entire day.

On 7/19/2017 at 11:21 AM, Jernigan said:

We are getting close to an Olympic setup?  When you add in Lake County for cycling etc.

Eh - our transportation infrastructure isn't even close to there. Our "premier" venue (Citrus Bowl) isn't even close to being at the Olympic Level. You're also missing a plethora of other venues. Maybe one day...maybe. 

We've got a bazillion charter buses.   

When the Olympics were in a city, you always here "unused facilities" afterwards, not "they build an insane transit system and then left!"

it just seems neat that we are organically building what other cities race to complete 

• Like 2

Orlando has the hotels, most of the sports venues (Downtown, UCF, and WDW Wide World of Sports), and plenty of space to build whatever other facilities are needed. Our glaring issue preventing us from bidding for the Olympics has always been transportation. Paris and LA are doing 2024 and 2028 - it is yet to be decided which city is getting 2024 and the other 2028. With LA getting one of those bids - another US summer Olympics doesn't seem likely until 2036 or 2040. Orlando should be ready by then.

17 hours ago, Jernigan said:

When the Olympics were in a city, you always here "unused facilities" afterwards, not "they build an insane transit system and then left!"

Athens hosting the 2004 Olympics was pretty great for its infrastructure:

Preparations to stage the Olympics led to a number of positive developments for the city's infrastructure. These improvements included the establishment of Eleftherios Venizelos International Airport, a modern new international airport serving as Greece's main aviation gateway; expansions to the Athens Metro system; the "Tram", a new metropolitan tram (light rail) system system; the "Proastiakos", a new suburban railway system linking the airport and suburban towns to the city of Athens; the "Attiki Odos", a new toll motorway encircling the city, and the conversion of streets into pedestrianized walkways in the historic center of Athens which link several of the city's main tourist sites, including the Parthenon and the Panathenaic Stadium (the site of the first modern Olympic Games in 1896). All of the above infrastructure is still in use to this day, and there have been continued expansions and proposals to expand Athens' metro, tram, suburban rail and motorway network, the airport, as well as further plans to pedestrianize more thoroughfares in the historic center of Athens. (Source)

7 minutes ago, alex said:

Athens hosting the 2004 Olympics was pretty great for its infrastructure:

I've been to Athens a few times since then.  Great expressway system.  Great subway system.  Great train to airport/subway to downtown.  Great signage on the highways.  Noise walls are glass or clear plastic; very cool.  Good airport.

All paid for by Germany and France I believe.  And most all proceeds from the airport have been going to Germany since.  The citizens are pissed about it.  I don't blame them b/c they had a working airport before then which was forced into retirement.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 5:18 PM, spenser1058 said:

A Hilton for Apopka's new city center - who knew?

From the Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange/os-hilton-highland-manor-apopka-anchor-20170714-story.html

So, that's great.  I just hope it resembles the Hampton Inn in downtown Gainesville.  That hotel is brick-laden with a valet, and has a few retailers inside at the base.  It's a good looking building.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great shot. Been meaning to grab a photo, but am usually driving. They finally bulldozed the last old building behind these, so construction on the second set of 10 should start soon. Unfortunately, they cut down the big oak that was in front of these just yesterday. (Guess they can replace it with crepe myrtles...)

Overall it's a great project, though. Any news on the former gas station/hibachi restaurant site next to this? 

41 minutes ago, codypet said:

Cool looking trusses.   Good use of attic space.

They are timber trusses that will be completely exposed in "loft" style vaulted ceilings. They have renderings on their website. These are cool looking residences. I wish I could afford one, haha!

Kitchen Loft.jpg

Living loft.jpg

• Like 4