Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

Widening of Sand Lake Road from Turkey Lake to President's Drive to six lanes is in the current 5 yr TIP. If I remember correctly, Orange County allows construction to proceed if the roadway improvements are at least in year three of the TIP? According to FDOTs work program construction is scheduled for fy09/10. They're also doing advanced ROW acquisition for 25 miles of the I-4 Master Plan...that likely includes the area in question. I didn't find any improvements listed for Turkey Lake but that doesn't mean they aren't planned. I *think* the developers are probably kicking in funds for improvements on Sand Lake west of Turkey Lake.

Growth Management is more about how to accommodate growth rather than actually managing it.

I'm concerned that the Metroplan Board and the various local government officials are too focused on trying to create a regional concurrency system (part of the outgrowth of How Shall We Grow) and frankly, as a planner, I think concurrency creates more problems than it solves. Congestion isn't always a bad thing. They're too focused on creating capacity rather than improving functionality. For all modes. Not just cars.

Kissimmee is rarely mentioned in a positive light on this forum (or anywhere really), but this is a GREAT infill development in downtown Kissimmee (adjacent to the future commuter rail station).

Kissimmee City Centre - commercial, retail, restaurant, and condos.

October 2007:

423304.jpg

423303.jpg

423302.jpg

Project website:

City Centre Downtown

This is exactly the kind of infill that all downtowns need along the commuter rail lines. Uptown Altamonte and all these "new" centers are great, but theres nothing like infill in an old downtown area. I'll be very interested in seeing how this affects the surrounding area. It would be nice to see this area finally boom--believe it or not, there is tons of unseen potential in downtown Kissimmee (especially with the great lakefront).

Edited by prahaboheme

Link to the same OBJ article about Phillips View Tower I posted a few days ago, only this time it's the full article.

1010974000197e3adhf4.jpg

^ Notice how the building dwarfs the gourmet McDonalds next door...and that construction is scheduled to begin in December and finish by April 2009.

So the tower dwarfs the Mc Donald's? I assume that the man behind the building is to scale....If so is he phase two of the tower and how will he be built in the lake?

Link to the same OBJ article about Phillips View Tower I posted a few days ago, only this time it's the full article.

1010974000197e3adhf4.jpg

^ Notice how the building dwarfs the gourmet McDonalds next door...and that construction is scheduled to begin in December and finish by April 2009.

Looks like this guy has been eating too many meals at micky D'S

Westin is building a hotel at Colonial Town Park off of 46A near Heathrow. sorry, no link to the OBJ or Sentinel article... it will be a 4 star hotel.

How many stories?

Heathrow News from 10/26/2007

What JRS1 was talking about: Developer to build luxury Westin in Heathrow

Orlando Business Journal - by Dan Ping Staff Writer

HEATHROW -- An Alabama hotel developer plans to bring a heavenly approach to a new project in Heathrow.

Srinath Yedla, CEO of Yedla Management Co., will break ground in February on a Westin-brand luxury hotel at the northwest corner of County Road 46A and International Parkway.

Details are still being finalized, but Yedla says the hotel will feature about 250 rooms and Westin's signature Heavenly Spa offering messages, manicures, pedicures, and a full-service salon for men and women.

Yedla declines to provide an estimated cost or square footage of the project, noting that the size of the spa and other amenities has yet to be determined. "We want to do a sky deck and provide some other amenities that will make this an ultra-luxury hotel," Yedla says.

Next up convention center? I know there have been talks. Any news on that?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rockefeller enters Central Florida market

Orlando Business Journal - by Dan Ping Staff Writer

HEATHROW -- One of the most recognizable names in business -- Rockefeller -- will make its Central Florida debut with a $150 million project in Seminole County.

The Rockefeller Group Development Corp. bought 29 acres on Sept. 20 from another well-known name in business, Jeno Paulucci, the frozen food king who created the upscale Heathrow community.

The Rockefeller Group paid $16.75 million for the land at International Parkway north of Colonial Town Center in Heathrow, where it intends to develop an office/retail center.

Plans have not been finalized, but the company wants to build 200,000-250,000 square feet of Class A office space, says John Petricola, Rockefeller's regional director in Florida.

Edited by MaXxlife

Marriott hotel slated for site of Langford

The chain's ritzy brand is the latest candidate to replace the long-gone Winter Park landmark.

Christopher Sherman {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

November 8, 2007

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...rl_tab01_layout

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JW. now there will be two.

no Regent... instead, JW Marriott weighing in at 250 rooms. That is awesome news. what validation for Winter Park!

incredible news. however, I thought Ritz was the el primo Marriott line.

anyway, no Regent, but, JW isn't much of a step down, considering what's at Grande Lakes. and it's light years better than a dirt lot.

I can visualize patrons coming to stay at the WP JW Marriott, a quieter and more upscale destination than Grande Lakes/tourist corridor, with all the amenities Park Ave. has to offer... and CRT to boot (not that their well healed patrons would need to use it... but it would give them transit options. I wouldn't be surprised if an upscale department store tries to tap that market as well (not sure the smaller boutiques would let it happen though).

JW. what a great asset to WP... it might help spurn more development in the area...

• 2 weeks later...