Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

I-Drive Complex's Website Had Borrowed Images

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-tourism-column-081814-20140817,0,7998702.story

I've been skeptical about this one from the get-go, but this now moves them into World Trade Center Orlando territory as "the least likely to ever see completion" project of the year!

Will we ever learn?

I don't think we'll ever learn. And actually, I think the best project for I drive that never happened would have been the Orlando Thrill Park which would have brought a much needed component to the amusement lineup in town.

I just don't get that excited about another hotel, restaurant, and retail mall out there since I believe we have plenty of that for now.

I say we get serious about reworking some roads (including I drive) and included in that MUST be either a BRT circulator or people mover. Not light rail, not a monorail, and certainly not widening I drive to the point of pointless exhaustion.

The thing about this project that gets me is that the existing plaza must have leases in place for all of the commercial tenants there.  So...what's to happen to them and what are the ramifications?  Have the tenants been told that he won't renew their leases?  Will he buy out their leases?  How will this play out?  I think going over there and talking to each of those tenants will reveal a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a shameless plug here but one that I think most of you will enjoy. Myself and Bob Wadd recently interviewed John Stine, Director of Marketing and Sales at I-Drive 360 and Unicorp, on my hospitality podcast Orlando Tourism Report.  We chatted mostly about I-Drive 360 and I-Shops.

A few bits of info that I think you guys would find interesting from the interview-

• I-Drive 360 is looking at MagLev and I-Drive Trolley as options for convention goers.
  • The Sand Lake Road/I-Drive 4-way pedestrian bridge is being held off until the plans to 6 lane SLR are set. (I suspect the new mega-McDonalds will be linked directly into the second floor)
  • The Buffalo Wild Wings at I-Drive 360 will have a roof top deck area on the second floor (similar to Mango's across the street).
  • Most of I-Drive 360 should be open by Christmas season with the attractions opening sometime in March or April (but in time for the end of the year school field trips). 
  • If the wheel is delayed the rest of the attractions may open ahead of it, though this wasn't the original plan.
  • The fountain show will be 6-8mins long, running every half an hour or so mid-afternoon thru late evening. 
  • The wheel and the fountains are on two separate lighting systems but they are looking at ways to link them.
  • Lots of holiday events are planned for the project, they're using the holiday stuff as a way to attract locals.
  • Still no word on the hotel aspect of I-Drive 360
  • Expect a Walgreens gift shop in I-Drive 360

Here is the full interview with the Show Notes

• Like 2

^^

So, the hotel aspect is still a consideration for the future although no deals currently?  I hope so because a surface parking lot directly under the wheel is the most tacky development in the history of attraction design since I can't even remember.

^^

Regarding the 6-laning of SLR, I also think they are going to add a turn lane to NB I-Drive directly in front of I-shops.  It would explain why the sidewalk they recently paved is so narrow and so recessed off of I-Drive.

^^

Interesting about McDonalds' second floor being connected to the skywalk directly.  That would be very cool.

^^

Interest in Maglev.  Now that the revealed station placement and system design was revealed on WFTV a few days ago, it is apparent that the I-Drive circulator is intended to be expanded north from Pointe Orlando/Rosen Plaza.  If the circulator does get built, as illustrated, I predict it will go as far as I-Drive 360 for sure and probably south to Sea World/Aquatica.  It might even be expanded further north to Magical Midway. Wet n Wild and then to Universal and maybe cross I-4 again to Premium Outlets.

Edited by jrs2

Not sure if this is something or nothing but I noticed that Blue Rose's website is active and has a copyright of 2014.  Mizner doesn't seem to have the best (or most up to date) website but I find it odd that it has the 2014 copyright on the bottom of the page. 

San Marco is also still live on their site as well. 

Thoughts? 

Not sure if this is something or nothing but I noticed that Blue Rose's website is active and has a copyright of 2014.  Mizner doesn't seem to have the best (or most up to date) website but I find it odd that it has the 2014 copyright on the bottom of the page. 

San Marco is also still live on their site as well. 

Thoughts? 

i am hoping that this somehow gets revived with the real estate bounce ........ however im not holding my breath. most likely somebody just renewing their web hosting fees. 

i am hoping that this somehow gets revived with the real estate bounce ........ however im not holding my breath. most likely somebody just renewing their web hosting fees. 

Also worth noting that it's pretty common to have the server generate that copyright date based on the current year. So, it may just say 2014 because it is currently 2014.

^^

Sapphire Falls- I knew something was going on over there; just didn't know what.  That's great.  Now we're one tract closer to finding out just exactly what Universal plans to do with future expansion, because, unless they build directly adjacent to the I-4 easement, they are tapped out for land at the existing complex.

^^

Blue Rose- I dunno.  another company took over its sales office on Universal Blvd and I think it's still open b/c the sign looks relatively new.

^^

Check this out:  Here is a short list of housing projects just in the attractions area currently u/c:

1.  place on I-Drive across from Lake Eve- 4 story bldgs

2. SE corner of CFLA PKWY and I-4(similar stuff)

3.  SE corner of Turkey Lake & CFLA PKWY (across I-4 from the above-project)

4.  place across Universal Blvd from Vista Cay- similar, 4-story bldgs

5.  a bunch of buildings as above near I-4 in the SW sector of Celebration

6.  You know that Parkway center across from Celebration where Arabian Nights was?  There is a 15 story "L" shaped building that was built there; probably the tallest building in Osceola (that or the new Embassy Suites at 535); built over the past 2 years.  Anyway, they are already on the 4th floor of its twin to the west which will connect to it.  Vacation suites I think.

• 2 weeks later...

^^

no; I was wondering the same thing

^^

Orlando Eye.  About 1/5 of the inner circle of the wheel is built.  It's been that way for about 2 weeks or so.  I think this project is being held up by either labor or $$$ issues.  Seriously.  If you go there, they have all of the pieces laying out on the ground under the wheel ready to go (it seems).  

Also, 3 out of 8 restaurants have been built.  They wrote in the OBJ 2 weeks ago about the 4th restaurant that just signed their lease, and that they would be breaking ground soon.  Well...then what about the other 4 restaurants supposing to go in the remaining 4 out parcels?  Did they sign leases yet?  Did they back out?

• 2 weeks later...

Apparantly, Aloft international drive is coming....

Yep, it'll be going into a pre-existing hotel near The Eye. Should be a good option, Mich improved over the current hotel there. The W XYZ Bar should be a nice addition to that area as well.

Hilton is hunting for property on the northern/central section of I-Drive for a new hotel very similar to the one near convention center. No word on the flag yet.

^^

Hilton is looking to put a 1,000+ room hotel in an area of I-Drive that's not walking distance to the OCCC?  By flag I presume a 3-4 star Hilton option flag, right, that's not Garden Inn?

I'm hearing rumblings of a 'tower' with convention space and possible retail space.  From what I've heard I'm thinking a 3-4 star Hilton, a sister property to the OCCC hotel.  

It's supposed to be closer to UOR, which will help balance the convention space. Something around Wet N Wild would be my guess...

I'm hearing rumblings of a 'tower' with convention space and possible retail space.  From what I've heard I'm thinking a 3-4 star Hilton, a sister property to the OCCC hotel.  

It's supposed to be closer to UOR, which will help balance the convention space. Something around Wet N Wild would be my guess...

No kidding?  Wow.  Maybe they see all of the room demand at UOR and they want to tap into it with a property of their own in close proximity.

It says a lot about I-Drive in general that a new tower will not go next to the OCCC.

We should start to see some more news on these 3 hotels by end of the month (that is if anyone is looking at the land records...)

Few other things I've been wondering lately- 

• Shouldn't the Around the World WDW yearly press conference happen soon? And the one at UOR? Don't those usually happen about now? Why didn't UOR wait to its Around the Universe event to announce Sapphire Falls? 
  • Any word on Kids Zone over at USF? I just got confirmation again that San Fran is doing to see action very soon (like by end of the year).  LOTR seems dead again, such an odd story to follow.  
  • Plenty of rumors of UOR property purchases but haven't gotten anything concrete yet. Anyone else hear anything interesting on that front? I'm hearing the Delta Resort property (Citymark), Lockheed again and a few other odd options.
Edited by klstorey