Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

I-Drive/Universal is fairly dense with development from 528 all the way to Oakridge. Now, Oakridge connects to Millennia the back way with continuous development all the way to JYP. THen, from there, depending on the route... you get the picture.

JYP & I-4 hotel-- was? are they tearing it down?

I haven't heard, just wasn't sure if it was still being used as a hotel.

can anyone do with I-drive in terms of proposed and completed buildings like what is done with downtown orlando

on google earth that is

and another question

what all do you guys expect to see happen to and with I-drive over the next 10-20 years

I can make a north to south list; someone else has to do the Google portion:

Prime redevelopment of Belz

Oakridge condos (south of Prime)

Westgate Towers redo

THe Pointe condos

Blue Rose

Aqua/Mercado (condo-less retail redo)

Pointe Orlando redo

Westin Imagine

Vista Cay

Hilton OCCC

Shingle Creek Resort & CC

Aquatica

------------- end at CF Pkwy.

what did I miss?

I can make a north to south list; someone else has to do the Google portion:

Prime redevelopment of Belz

Oakridge condos (south of Prime)

Westgate Towers redo

THe Pointe condos

Blue Rose

Aqua/Mercado (condo-less retail redo)

Pointe Orlando redo

Westin Imagine

Vista Cay

Hilton OCCC

Shingle Creek Resort & CC

Aquatica

------------- end at CF Pkwy.

what did I miss?

The Peabody

A little off topic but I was just checking out Emporis as I do often and it seems they updated some of Orlando's stats, now they list our metro population at 2,563,902 which was previously listed at 1.9 million.

Talk about a fast growing area huh?

Wait, WHAT THE HELL!?!? :blink:

Revised list:

-------------------begin JYP & Millenia Blvd.

-Morrison Homes? expansion

-Belle Terre office condo (completed?)

-IKEA

-Old Navy

-Rob & Stuckey (completed)

-Duke Realty Bldg. (by Macy's; completed?)

-Apt. or Condo bldgs. at Oakridge & Millenia

-Citymark at Major Blvd. & Kirkman Rd.

---------------- begin Oakridge Rd.

-Oakridge Rd. overpass redo (@ Tnpk)

-Prime $110M redevelopment of Belz

-Oakridge condo proposal (south of Prime)

-Westgate Towers redo

-The Pointe condos

-Blue Rose

----------------begin Sand Lake Rd.

-Aqua/Mercado (condo-less retail redo)

-Pointe Orlando redo

-Westin Imagine

-Vista Cay

-Peabody expansion

-Hilton OCCC

-Shingle Creek Resort & CC (completed)

-Aquatica

------------- begin CF Pkwy.

-timeshare north of Floridays expansion

-Floridays Resort (completed?)

-Sheraton Vac. Club expansion (across from Floridays)

-Hilton Vac. Club expansion

-Regency Suites

-new retail next to Mary Queen Church/Premium Outlets

-Intercontinental Palazzo del Lago

---------------- begin 535

-Blue Heron #2 (535)

-LBV Res. & Spa #3, #4 (535)

-Fairfield Bonnet Creek (two 15-story towers and others); Chelonia Pkwy.

-Marriott World Ctr. expansion of facilities

-Mona Lisa Celebration

-Reunion Grande & Reunion Resort

... a little expanded list.

A little off topic but I was just checking out Emporis as I do often and it seems they updated some of Orlando's stats, now they list our metro population at 2,563,902 which was previously listed at 1.9 million.

Talk about a fast growing area huh? And now they list Orlando as having 223 high rise buildings which I believe they had 213 listed before. But still the pathetic photos as before of Orlando, hopefully that changes soon!

that is very odd. I also agree that they are including either Volusia or Brevard in those numbers. 1/2 of Volusia is contiguous metro as it is, which is about 250k people. Add maybe 50k in Polk (to be conservative); With those numbers, Metro ORL should be considered 2.3M. But, I know how they don't like to split counties up. Lakeland is it's own metro as is Daytona and Melbourne.

that is very odd. I also agree that they are including either Volusia or Brevard in those numbers. 1/2 of Volusia is contiguous metro as it is, which is about 250k people. Add maybe 50k in Polk (to be conservative); With those numbers, Metro ORL should be considered 2.3M. But, I know how they don't like to split counties up. Lakeland is it's own metro as is Daytona and Melbourne.

I agree with them adding Volusia county in there...since I've moved to Deltona I've come to realize even though it's north of the St. Johns River, there are a tremendous amount of people that commute from West Volusia to Orlando, from all over - Deland, Orange City and Deltona. And Daytona is just about 20 minutes from all of that...

Orlando is in a bit of a strange position proximity-wise to Daytona and Cocoa/Melbourne. Sooner or later they would have to be added to Orlando's metro stats. It will be interesting to see if the Census bureau (or whoever) jumps on board with this. Volusia's down, now let's add Brevard!

I agree with them adding Volusia county in there...since I've moved to Deltona I've come to realize even though it's north of the St. Johns River, there are a tremendous amount of people that commute from West Volusia to Orlando, from all over - Deland, Orange City and Deltona. And Daytona is just about 20 minutes from all of that...

Orlando is in a bit of a strange position proximity-wise to Daytona and Cocoa/Melbourne. Sooner or later they would have to be added to Orlando's metro stats. It will be interesting to see if the Census bureau (or whoever) jumps on board with this. Volusia's down, now let's add Brevard!

It's a little OT, but the Designated Market Area for Nielson ratings include Daytona and Melbourne making Orlando the 19th largest media market in the country. Top twenty provides better visibility access for companies looking for visibility and allows broadcast station to charge higher rates.

The Nielsen market area makes sense since news stations like WESH-TV have offices in WP and Daytona, and I think either Channel 9 or 6 have an office in Brevard as well.

What's the topic again? Anyway, think of this... SR 44 is being widened to I-4 from Tom. Farms Rd. with a new interchange at I-4. I-4 is being widened all the way to SR 44 (its at 472 now (2007). I-4 will be widened to I-95 eventually, but the point is that the traffic patterns of drivers going up I-4 and out to SR-44 and vice versa reinforces the "metro" notion of including Volusia County. THe DOTS transit service has been operating in DB for over 20 years, and there's a park n ride in W. Vol. near I-4.

THe St. John's bridge was the one thing that needed to be redone to facilitate the merging of W. Vol. and ORL metro, and it was done a few years back. Also, one of the alignment options of the 429 has it going into Volusia County. And if OOCEA can figure out construction costs, those new future segments connecting 417 to the east coast will further effectuate this happening.

Edited by JRS1

To attempt to tie it all back into the topic, what this means is that I now drive 50 some odd miles to Disney and back, and I'm still in the same metro area! From Daytona I'm guessing it's something like 70 miles to Disney?

(I'm trying real hard here, folks!) :wacko:

That sounds about right. Since they'd be coming I-4, it could take anywhere from, say, 80 minutes to several days.

BLUE ROSE:

no new info yet, rather, a point of clarification:

Go to the website: www.thebluerose.com

THe Blue Rose is 3 towers, two "L" shaped towers, and a third tower towards the southern end. THe third tower is the condo tower. THe two "L" shaped towers are the condo-tel towers. THey are currently selling units in the "center" tower, which is the "L" shaped tower just to the south of the glass barrel vaulted lobby area, and in the condo tower, according to the website. They don't mention the other "L" shaped condo-tel tower to the left of the lobby... unless the first "L" shaped tower already sold out...

Does anyone know what the status of this project is, also whether it will be built in phases and what that MPB report said again (I can't remember where it's posted).

Edited by JRS1

here's the lowdown:

Tower 1 has not been released yet. They are fully financed already. They plan on all 3 towers--- maybe in 2 phases though. THey plan on groundbreaking in April '07. They have been selling Tower 2 and 3 (the condo tower) already. THey had a strong December in sales.

all from a simple conversation with the sales office. I will find out more.

The Nielsen market area makes sense since news stations like WESH-TV have offices in WP and Daytona, and I think either Channel 9 or 6 have an office in Brevard as well.

What's the topic again? Anyway, think of this... SR 44 is being widened to I-4 from Tom. Farms Rd. with a new interchange at I-4. I-4 is being widened all the way to SR 44 (its at 472 now (2007). I-4 will be widened to I-95 eventually, but the point is that the traffic patterns of drivers going up I-4 and out to SR-44 and vice versa reinforces the "metro" notion of including Volusia County. THe DOTS transit service has been operating in DB for over 20 years, and there's a park n ride in W. Vol. near I-4.

THe St. John's bridge was the one thing that needed to be redone to facilitate the merging of W. Vol. and ORL metro, and it was done a few years back. Also, one of the alignment options of the 429 has it going into Volusia County. And if OOCEA can figure out construction costs, those new future segments connecting 417 to the east coast will further effectuate this happening.

Great word, "effectuate!" :thumbsup:

the tallest new projects in the attractions area goes something like this:

-Blue Heron#2; 23+ fl. (nearing top off)

-Hilton OCCC; 18 fl.? (sitework)

-Blue Heron#1; 17+ fl. (completed)

-LBV Res. & Spa#3; 15 fl. (topped off)

-LBV Res. & Spa#4; 15 fl. (level 4)

-Fairfield Bonnet Creek#4; 15 fl. (topped off)

-Fairfield Bonnet Creek#5; 15 fl. (topped off)

-Shingle Creek Hotel; 12-14 fl. (completed)

-Westin Imagine; 12-14 fl. (nearing top off)

-Reunion Grande; 12-14 fl. (topped off)

-The Point Orlando#1; 12 fl. (nearing top off)

-The Point Orlando#2; 12 fl. (level 1-2)

-Regency Suites; 12 fl. (level 3)

... not listing anything that is not U/C in any way, therefore no Blue Rose... at least not yet.

Orlando Works to Broaden

Its Mickey Mouse Image

By Maura Webber Sadovi

Some 15,580 new Orlando-area hotel and condo-hotel rooms are in the planning, bidding and postbidding stages, the second-highest amount in the 54 major U.S. metropolitan areas surveyed by Property & Portfolio Research Inc., a Boston-based real-estate research firm. Only the Las Vegas area has more hotel rooms planned, at 19,555, PPR says.

http://www.realestatejournal.com/columnist...-blueprint.html

20061207-sadovi.jpg

Hilton hotels at Bonnet Creek, near Walt Disney World.

Orlando Works to Broaden

Its Mickey Mouse Image

By Maura Webber Sadovi

Some 15,580 new Orlando-area hotel and condo-hotel rooms are in the planning, bidding and postbidding stages, the second-highest amount in the 54 major U.S. metropolitan areas surveyed by Property & Portfolio Research Inc., a Boston-based real-estate research firm. Only the Las Vegas area has more hotel rooms planned, at 19,555, PPR says.

http://www.realestatejournal.com/columnist...-blueprint.html

20061207-sadovi.jpg

Hilton hotels at Bonnet Creek, near Walt Disney World.

regarding that article, the Brookings guy is saying that Orlando is 3 decades too late to try to grow a biotech community. Well, it's not Orlando, its Florida that wanted to get Scripps and Burnham here (in FLA). Secondly, UF is also building a facility next to Burnham, and UF is already a research giant. THis will definitely help increase Orlando's "clout" to be a player in that industry.

As for the hotels issue, as long as the OCCC is luring new shows, the demand for big-box projects nearby will always be there. If Orlando continues to bring in new resort properties to compliment Disney and Universal, it will help solidify Orlando as a destination in and of itself, beyond Disney. How far beyond Disney... that I don't know.