Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

13 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

they created a "swing" bridge at that canal going to the north.  was there one like that there before?  I think it's for the fireworks boats to travel under.

Oh wow.  I just checked Google satellite view; probably a year old.  there doesn't appear to have ever been a  bridge there before.  I had no idea.  I thought for sure there was.  

Edited by jrs2

7 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

they created a "swing" bridge at that canal going to the north.  was there one like that there before?  I think it's for the fireworks boats to travel under.

Oh wow.  I just checked Google satellite view; probably a year old.  there doesn't appear to have ever been a  bridge there before.  I had no idea.  I thought for sure there was.  

No, there wasn’t a bridge there, just the monorail crossing. Of course, when MK opened in ‘71 there was no hotel to get to and even after GF came along in ‘88 they probably figured it was too long of a walk.

As time went on, they heard from the die hard runners and walkers who thought it would be great and, as MK got overcrowded the last couple of years (and given monorail issues and watercraft budget stuff) it probably seemed more worthwhile.

Of course, there was a swing bridge at the north end of the canal from the beginning for the steam train.Once upon a time, the story goes they were going to have the Admiral Joe Fowler leave the Rivers of America at night and head down the canal to the lagoon for private parties (it also gave them a way to get river craft to drydock over in Bay Lake). As it happened, they got new sternwheelers in the lagoon and the Fowler stayed put on the river.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

An in-depth update on what’s happening with the redo at Epcot and see what is still a go (and what’s not) once we move past COVID from our own @klstorey:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/11/28/disney-gives-major-update-on-what-to-expect-from-its-epcot-overhaul-but-some-projects-remain-in-limbo

From Orlando Weekly
Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

In this article about more Disney layoffs, it’s also mentioned in the comments that recent theme park cuts include most of the folks at Universal Creative working on the Epic project:

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202011/7886/

From Theme Park Insider

While these cuts are tragic for the cast and team members who are living through them and we should do everything we can as a community to assist each one, this will hopefully be the push our leaders need to diversify our economy in the future and move the region toward more sustainable industries.

Or, as Buzz Lightyear would say, “To infinity... and beyond!”

On 11/29/2020 at 11:30 AM, spenser1058 said:

In this article about more Disney layoffs, it’s also mentioned in the comments that recent theme park cuts include most of the folks at Universal Creative working on the Epic project:

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202011/7886/

From Theme Park Insider

While these cuts are tragic for the cast and team members who are living through them and we should do everything we can as a community to assist each one, this will hopefully be the push our leaders need to diversify our economy in the future and move the region toward more sustainable industries.

Or, as Buzz Lightyear would say, “To infinity... and beyond!

Many of these Epic designers find themselves unemployed with no recent portfolio work, since it's all Universal's property and can't be released.  So a few are coming together for some holiday tableau photo opportunities in Curry Ford West that give the community something to do outdoors for the holidays, and add to their portfolios as they set out looking for work.

https://attractionsmagazine.com/furloughed-orlando-theme-park-designers-create-picture-perfect-holidays/

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wrestling legend Ric Flair claims WWE is going to build a 'hall of fame' in Orlando

I'm putting this here because I'm assuming it will end up in the tourist district.  If Buddy can pull it into downtown,  perhaps in the Magic Entertainment Complex, that would be pretty massive imo.  I think this might actually be a pretty big deal.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, elefants said:

Wrestling legend Ric Flair claims WWE is going to build a 'hall of fame' in Orlando

I'm putting this here because I'm assuming it will end up in the tourist district.  If Buddy can pull it into downtown,  perhaps in the Magic Entertainment Complex, that would be pretty massive imo.  I think this might actually be a pretty big deal.

I think they’ve been saying this since 2016. I googled the article after I heard the news and saw similar articles dating back to at least 2016. So it might just be Ric Flair talking noise.

If it does happen, I can’t see it going downtown. The WWE Performance Center is near Forsyth and 50. Maybe they’d wanna have it close by or on the property. Who knows? But I’d guess I-Drive before I’d guess downtown. Hell, I’d guess anywhere but downtown.

42 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

I think they’ve been saying this since 2016. I googled the article after I heard the news and saw similar articles dating back to at least 2016. So it might just be Ric Flair talking noise.

If it does happen, I can’t see it going downtown. The WWE Performance Center is near Forsyth and 50. Maybe they’d wanna have it close by or on the property. Who knows? But I’d guess I-Drive before I’d guess downtown. Hell, I’d guess anywhere but downtown.

I hear you and I totally agree that it'd most likely go to I-Drive, but I don't think downtown is as unlikely as you think.   WWE has used the Amway Center and the Citrus Bowl, so they are familiar with the area.  They could even tie in a few induction ceremonies with matches at one of those venues.  I think it's absolutely worth a shot to bring a tourist attraction downtown.  All of those millennials that grew up in the Golden Age of wrestling are now taking their kids to Disney, and it'd be nice to bring some of that money to Church Street.

Edited by elefants
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, elefants said:

I hear you and I totally agree that it'd most likely go to I-Drive, but I don't think downtown is as unlikely as you think.   WWE has used the Amway Center and the Citrus Bowl, so they are familiar with the area.  They could even tie in a few induction ceremonies with matches at one of those venues.  I think it's absolutely worth a shot to bring a tourist attraction downtown.  All of those millennials that grew up in the Golden Age of wrestling are now taking their kids to Disney, and it'd be nice to bring some of that money to Church Street.

Can we have Terror On Church Street back, too?

• Like 1

And so OC’s infamous white elephant becomes an even worse deal for the citizens. $835K comped and even lower attendance. This is what we’re running our economy on, folks:

Orange County slashes convention center rent to draw shows 
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-orange-county-convention-center-rent-20201218-xac4oepwbnajdphyai2hru745y-story.html

From The Sentinel 
Edited by spenser1058