Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

On 1/13/2019 at 2:42 PM, aent said:

So Skyplex is supposedly getting ready to start, but its been split into multiple phases. The first phase will be just the tower with the coaster and other tower attractions, no retail, no hotel, etc. Infact, I'd imagine the existing businesses are staying foot and its just being built behind them for the moment,so maybe it makes sense why Hogan's shop didn't move

I hated the idea of this originally, but after driving down I-4 the other week and seeing the dramatic view of the Starflyer and Icon 360,  I was impressed by the possibilities.  Having that massive roller coaster structure close to these new attractions will make for a crazy alternate skyline to downtown.  Especially at night! The awe newer generations of kids will feel will certainly surpass the awe I used to have as a kid for the Sea World Sky Tower.

Edited by jliv
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It may be. That was just a reference to the Canadian part. Please carry on.

Canada Ave.  Yeah, If I recall, the tower is recessed off fo I-drive and the retail-ish portion fronts I-drive.  But because this thing is so big, from what I recalled it was situated all the way back towards Canada Ave.  It’s funny because that road is a corridor from yesteryear ala tourism and this project would breathe new life into it as well.  I think these guys own a lot of that land even as far north as Carrier to a point....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jliv said:

I hated the idea of this originally, but after driving down I-4 the other week and seeing the dramatic view of the Starflyer and Icon 360,  I was impressed by the possibilities.  Having that massive roller coaster structure close to these new attractions will make for a crazy alternate skyline to downtown.  Especially at night! It will certainly surpass the awe I used to have as a kid for the Sea World Sky Tower.

The Sky Tower always reminded me of the Space Needle On Daytona’s Broadwalk, which was my favorite being so close to the ocean.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jliv said:

I hated the idea of this originally, but after driving down I-4 the other week and seeing the dramatic view of the Starflyer and Icon 360,  I was impressed by the possibilities.  Having that massive roller coaster structure close to these new attractions will make for a crazy alternate skyline to downtown.  Especially at night! It will certainly surpass the awe I used to have as a kid for the Sea World Sky Tower.

I've always loved the idea of world's biggest attractions on I-Drive visible from I-4, making a skyline from the highway like none other.

5 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The Sky Tower always reminded me of the Space Needle On Daytona’s Broadwalk, which was my favorite being so close to the ocean.

Omg, what a sad day that was when the City decided to mothball that Space Needle in DB...

• Thanks 1

We bid on that space restaurant. It is more than just a themed veneer on a restaurant. There is interactive nature to the restaurant to create an experience like you are actually taking a "transport" ship to a space station, where you disembark and then go through a growing room for what would be something like Matt Damon was setting up on "the Martian", presumably showing sustainable vegetable production like what real space-station residents would do if they were inhabiting it long-term.  It's a lot more than just a restaurant with some cool space-themed dining areas and faux projection "windows".  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The various theme parks and resorts in Dubai were supposed to leave Orlando in the dust when first announced (keep in mind that was pre-Harry Potter) but apparently it hasn’t worked out that way.

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201901/6540/

From Theme Park Insider

The swamp beats the desert!

For some reason, I Love hearing this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:30 AM, spenser1058 said:

Some phenomenal shots of construction under way at both Universal and WDW:

https://blog.touringplans.com/2019/01/19/s6_construction_wdw_uor_star_wars/

From Touring Plans 

fantastic link!

10 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

that roller coaster is a very effective use of semi-wasted space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Could the “world’s tallest thrill ride” (500’) be coming to O-town West?

https://www.wesh.com/amp/article/worlds-tallest-thrill-ride-could-be-coming-to-orlando/25982381

From WESH 

Wasn't this same exact ride previously proposed for Icon Orlando? I prefer that location to keep that skyline building in that area. Its quite an interesting view on I-4 with the volcano, starflyer, the eye, and the magical midway/fun spot attractions on top of the hotels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I don't think there's any more amusement expansion pads at Icon.  I'll be honest, I saw the headlines all weekend but just assumed it was talking about the Polercoaster.  Didn't realize it was the other group.

There’s definetely space for more, but we don’t know if they’ll turn into rides. What ever happened to the heli-tours on top of the garage?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I don't think there's any more amusement expansion pads at Icon.  I'll be honest, I saw the headlines all weekend but just assumed it was talking about the Polercoaster.  Didn't realize it was the other group.

Previously it was slated for the current surface employee parking lot.

19 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

There’s definetely space for more, but we don’t know if they’ll turn into rides. What ever happened to the heli-tours on top of the garage?

The county rejected that proposal for some unknown reason, I believe he already appealed and lost :-/

It’s funny just how jaded we can get about the theme park business which drives our local economy. 

While most of the galaxy close by as well as long ago and far, far away awaits the industry-changing Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge attractions this fall at the Mouse House (along with a slough of attractions at its various local parks which will open in a steady stream leading to WDW’s 50th anniversary in 2021), the other parks in the area are opening several local attractions this summer to take a last bite at the apple before Disney’s fall slate takes over the, ummm, Universe.

What’s amazing is, while the summer attractions seem like small beer compared to what’s coming to Lake Buena Vista this fall, each would seem impressive compared to the additions at regional parks in Atlanta, Charlotte or Tennessee.

Whether it’s the new Potter coaster at Universal, Sea World’s new Sesame Street addition or the biggest addition to Legoland since its opening (which JFW will want to see on his way to Bok Tower...), take a moment to think just how huge an impact all of this will have on the $$$ flowing into the area and the contributions to the TDT.

Even if the national economy does slow down, we may avoid the worst of it because of the major additions (as well as other infrastructure projects like I4 Ultimate and UCF/Valencia downtown).

As the Sentinel used to say, it really “‘Tis a privilege to live in Central Florida.”

https://www.fool.com/amp/investing/2019/01/27/rivals-will-cash-in-on-disney-worlds-last-slow-sum.aspx

From the Motley Fool 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2