Hampton Roads Transportation

vdogg

Those tolls in NYC are a bit much...think of the cost of a commute, another argument for mass transit. Anyways, this is about VA roads...one of the best spots for a toll road would be the proposed SE expressway connecting VB and Chesa. This would be a new route that won't efffect existing commuters. So it would be an option and not a neccessity for drivers. They should make it affordable like the old rt. 44 toll road. By making it cheap like 50cents, it would increase revenue. Cheaper tolls would make a "toll-avoidance" detour less attractive. People will take the route and pay their two quarters to get home quicker. This is opposite with Richmond's 895 $2 toll. Traffic only picks up when the tolls are over on chippenham pkwy

***An aside, I'm guilty of picking up the dimes at the rt. 44 toll boths***

Those tolls in NYC are a bit much...think of the cost of a commute, another argument for mass transit. Anyways, this is about VA roads...one of the best spots for a toll road would be the proposed SE expressway connecting VB and Chesa. This would be a new route that won't efffect existing commuters. So it would be an option and not a neccessity for drivers. They should make it affordable like the old rt. 44 toll road. By making it cheap like 50cents, it would increase revenue.  Cheaper tolls would make a "toll-avoidance" detour less attractive.  People will take the route and pay their two quarters to get home quicker.  This is opposite with Richmond's 895 $2 toll.  Traffic only picks up when the tolls are over on chippenham pkwy

***An aside, I'm guilty of picking up the dimes at the rt. 44 toll boths***

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum Stunad. You have the distinct honor of being our first official NOVA forumer :lol: . It'll be great to have your input here.

Hope you have a great time here in VB. We welcome our tourists to the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huh. Have things changed that much in the past 2 years? Back in my day, we'd use tourists for target practice. Bonus points for New Yorkers. Then again, I suppose VBPD has taken over that job at the Oceanfront.

oops. Sorry about that.  :o  So you think you may stay in Nova or perhaps return to the HR area one day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well... to be a little more on topic... The traffic in HR is much more tolerable than nova that's for sure. I used to commute from Va Beach to the Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth everyday, and I thought that was bad at the time. 264 might be bad, but 66 is worse.

The current state of the housing market has really made me think hard about moving back down to HR. But dunno if the job market for what I do(website developer) is there as much. Plus got a lot of good friends up here now. Maybe one day... long time from now. Would be the perfect place to retire to in my mind.

A good friend of mine lives up in Fairfax and he absolutely hates living there. He met his wife there though and his mother-n-law also lives there so he may be there awhile. He used to take 66 to DC to his old job and it took hours to get to and from work.

Edited by guynvb

I've lived in NoVA for 2 1/2 years and it's driving me crazy...therefore I'm moving back to VB once my lease is up next month. Starting over again won't be fun, but living within walking distance of TC will make up for it. A few notes on DC traffic, it's horible. 66, 495, and 95 are far worse than anything Hampton Roads could come up with at present. I can't drive anywhere up here without cursing at the clown in front of me.

I've lived in NoVA for 2 1/2 years and it's driving me crazy...therefore I'm moving back to VB once my lease is up next month. Starting over again won't be fun, but living within walking distance of TC will make up for it.
Edited by guynvb

Of course it would be nice if people didn't have to drive downtown in the first place.  But that's a different discussion.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that once alot of this development has been built the feds might give us the money to build the transit. Right now the dt doesn't have transit because its not feasible yet.

I think that once alot of this development has been built the feds might give us the money to build the transit. Right now the dt doesn't have transit because its not feasible yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And also as more and more projects are approved and eventually constructed, pedestrian traffic may (hopefully) one day match vehicle traffic in DT Norfolk. I can only pray for that day to come lol. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The money is pretty much already in the bag. The only problem was that the FTA noticed that some of HRT's projections were wrong and actually were reporting less ridership than they should be. Also, the FTA was concerned that some of the developments around were not being considered when coming up with ridership forecasts. The FTA is currently working with HRT and Norfolk to refine the ridership forecasts and resubmit in time for the 2006 budget recomendations, which I believe is sometime in October. Now you add in the most recent developments of which a four or five are directly on the light rail line or within a couple blocks, and the money is pretty much in the bag. Now if Virginia Beach officials got on board and extended it to say Oceana, there would be no argument and we would have already see construction going on. FTA was concerned that the line only served residents of Norfolk. Who will drive all the way down 264 to get to a light rail line and park then ride the rest of the way in. By the time you get out of your car, you could already be almost in to downtown Norfolk, whereas if the line extended to oceana, people would drive from their residences and park at stations along 264 and ride totally in. The money was already in the bag and marked for appropriations until the city backed out. But, norfolk has worked hard and will more than likely get the money, and in the future, I think Virginia Beach will be ready to get on board.

The money is pretty much already in the bag.  The only problem was that the FTA noticed that some of HRT's projections were wrong and actually were reporting less ridership than they should be.  Also, the FTA was concerned that some of the developments around were not being considered when coming up with ridership forecasts.  The FTA is currently working with HRT and Norfolk to refine the ridership forecasts and resubmit in time for the 2006 budget recomendations, which I believe is sometime in October.  Now you add in the most recent developments of which a four or five are directly on the light rail line or within a couple blocks, and the money is pretty much in the bag.  Now if Virginia Beach officials got on board and extended it to say Oceana, there would be no argument and we would have already see construction going on.  FTA was concerned that the line only served residents of Norfolk.  Who will drive all the way down 264 to get to a light rail line and park then ride the rest of the way in.  By the time you get out of your car, you could already be almost in to downtown Norfolk, whereas if the line extended to oceana, people would drive from their residences and park at stations along 264 and ride totally in.  The money was already in the bag and marked for appropriations until the city backed out.  But, norfolk has worked hard and will more than likely get the money, and in the future, I think Virginia Beach will be ready to get on board.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Virginia Beach is the sort-of "wildcard". I hope that they do eventually agree to take part in this because while they waste millions on hotel parking garages (ahem) they could be spending it to give this region a tremendous asset we're currently missing. Dollars-wise a light-rail mass-transit system for the Southside could benefit us and draw in more tourists. The reason my parents hate going to the Southside is because of the traffic so it's been since March since they've gone down there---and that was just to get to the airport.

Personally, here's what I think the best option would be. MAGLEV. If and when ODU's MAGLEV is finished and tested, It could be the best way to do light rail transit. Think about it. ODU finishes it, and it extends to other key areas of Norfolk: downtown, the airport, the navy base, etc. Its faster than other light rail options. Its not a complete bore to look at (after all, we don't want to sacrifice Norfolks stunning good looks B) ). Its something unique that no other city would have. Seems like a good fit. just my opinion. :rolleyes:

Personally, here's what I think the best option would be.  MAGLEV.  If and when ODU's MAGLEV is finished and tested, It could be the best way to do light rail transit.  Think about it.  ODU finishes it, and it extends to other key areas of Norfolk: downtown, the airport, the navy base, etc.  Its faster than other light rail options. Its not a complete bore to look at (after all, we don't want to sacrifice Norfolks stunning good looks  B) ).  Its something unique that no other city would have.  Seems like a good fit.  just my opinion.  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The MAGLEV is too expensive or other cities would have already jumped on that. I really don't forsee VaBeach jumping on the light rail anytime soon. They have BRT on their mind and really don't want to work with Norfolk. Norfolk has been working on this for at least a decade now. Hopefully the new tunnel( if built) will have a passage way for light rail so that Newport News can connect to the southside.

The MAGLEV is too expensive or other cities would have already jumped on that. I really don't forsee VaBeach jumping on the light rail anytime soon. They have BRT on their mind and really don't want to work with Norfolk. Norfolk has been working on this for at least a decade now. Hopefully the new tunnel( if built) will have a passage way for light rail so that Newport News can connect to the southside.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, its all about the MONEY! lol. About sacrificing Norfolk's good looks, I would suggest a monorail. Its looks the same as maglev, but is cheaper. But since light rail is cheaper and has been studied the most, we will almost definitely go with light rail.

Yup, its all about the MONEY! lol. About sacrificing Norfolk's good looks, I would suggest a monorail. Its looks the same as maglev, but is cheaper. But since light rail is cheaper and has been studied the most, we will almost definitely go with light rail.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only problem with monorail, is that it is much more expensive than light rail, and even much more expensive to double track monorail. That's why you see most monorail systems are only single systems. Double tracking a light rail system takes up about twenty feet of road. Double tracking a monorail would only take up about half of that but the columns to support such a wide structure at the top would be considerably large. Therefore the higher expense. Monorail is only feasible in tourist destinations such as the beach fronts and las vegas where it is there to only service that area. As transit though, it is very impracticle.

The only problem with monorail, is that it is much more expensive than light rail, and even much more expensive to double track monorail.  That's why you see most monorail systems are only single systems.  Double tracking a light rail system takes up about twenty feet of road.  Double tracking a monorail would only take up about half of that but the columns to support such a wide structure at the top would be considerably large.  Therefore the higher expense.  Monorail is only feasible in tourist destinations such as the beach fronts and las vegas where it is there to only service that area.  As transit though, it is very impracticle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've seen it at WDW in Orlando and it's actually a very nice system. They have mass transit down to an art form in the Orlando metro and I think that a network of rail stations (mono rail or light rail, don't care which though we know it depends on the $$) in popular areas like the business/banking centers/main street Norfolk, MacArthur, ODU, NSU, TCC, etc as well as bus routes to take people to other areas would be nice.

Also, I'm fairly certain that the 3rd crossing is slated to have a middle-tube with rail or bus lines in it, which would finally truly connect the two sides of the water. I may be too old to enjoy mass transit by then though :P

I've seen it at WDW in Orlando and it's actually a very nice system.  They have mass transit down to an art form in the Orlando metro and I think that a network of rail stations (mono rail or light rail, don't care which though we know it depends on the $$) in popular areas like the business/banking centers/main street Norfolk, MacArthur, ODU, NSU, TCC, etc as well as bus routes to take people to other areas would be nice.

Also, I'm fairly certain that the 3rd crossing is slated to have a middle-tube with rail or bus lines in it, which would finally truly connect the two sides of the water.  I may be too old to enjoy mass transit by then though  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any idea as to when construction may start? Maybe we should write a letter to Mayor Fraim or Frank or something and see what they got to say about that lately.

The only problem with monorail, is that it is much more expensive than light rail, and even much more expensive to double track monorail.  That's why you see most monorail systems are only single systems.  Double tracking a light rail system takes up about twenty feet of road.  Double tracking a monorail would only take up about half of that but the columns to support such a wide structure at the top would be considerably large.  Therefore the higher expense.  Monorail is only feasible in tourist destinations such as the beach fronts and las vegas where it is there to only service that area.  As transit though, it is very impracticle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah it must just be the environment, because by my house we have monorail and it is a very successful passenger transportation device. The roads are narrow so the cement beam works nicely. Also, it is a double track. But so much more people use it where I am than probably would use it in Norfolk so maybe that is why....hmm...I just KNOW we need some kinda rail system, and FAST!