Hampton Roads Transportation

vdogg

I think we would have to completely disantle every city government in the region and start anew if we want any semblance of cooperation in this area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with that but with the history behind Norfolk that is hard to do and remember why these counties became cities was because they where trying to stop the city. How ironic is that its trying to become a "city" now. :rofl:

I am quite excited about BRT. As you stated cost wise it is the way to go. Plus, the gov't will chip in about half of the cost (if my memory serves me correctly.) If we find BRT to serve us well then perhaps later on light rail will be implemented.

I am quite excited about BRT. As you stated cost wise it is the way to go. Plus, the gov't will chip in about half of the cost (if my memory serves me correctly.) If we find BRT to serve us well then perhaps later on light rail will be implemented.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats correct. The state will be contributing about 10 mil while the city will contribute the other 11.4

Charlotte used a "BRT" I use quotes because it wasn't the textbook definition as a stepping stone to light rail and their LRT project is taking off now!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great case in point! IT is a great way to see what areas need mass transit and perhaps try to 'grow' other areas more urban to serve as feeder lines for the future. The city HAS to keep growing and urban structures are going to be in high demand in the near future.

Great case in point! IT is a great way to see what areas need mass transit and perhaps try to 'grow' other areas more urban to serve as feeder lines for the future. The city HAS to keep growing and urban structures are going to be in high demand in the near future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats a good point. I would guess that BRT can only handle but so much before some higher form of transit had to step in. It would be a good idea to use BRT until ridership increased to the point that we "needed" LRT. That being said, I will be moving all comments on the BRT/LRT debate to the transportation thread.

I am really biased b/c I work in Lynnhaven and live in Pembroke but I don't see all that traffic, well except for Lynnhaven Parkway at 5pm but then you just get in the left lane and merge right carefully LOL. Folks that have to take the interstate interchanges and the tunnels would beg to differ though I bet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if they're taking Va. beach as representing the whole metro instead of just the city itself <_< ? It does sound a bit overblown.

Don't believe the hype...

I looked up the info and we fare quite well compared to other areas. Here is a PDF link to the findings of that study and VA Beach (I am assuming the metro area as a whole) does not look so bad.

We have a few problematic spots (tunnels and the interchange) but some areas I have been to like Seattle and San Diego have been total nightmares in every direction.

PDF PDF PDF! link to the VA Beach table

But its still a "BUS". People don't like riding on buses no matter what they look like. They associate them with childhood memories of riding the bus and of low paying jobs IMO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But things can change and people's perceptions can change. It is what people are accustomed to but over time hopefully they will adjust to taking a bus or rail to where they want to go.

But things can change and people's perceptions can change. It is what people are accustomed to but over time hopefully they will adjust to taking a bus or rail to where they want to go.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the aim for this is right... the focal point is getting tourists around the beach area. When I go to DC I love to drop my car off and ride the metro to where I need to go. However, workwise, the metro can be a hassle if you don't live near the stops and such. Try living in DC and working in Tysons, the metro is a waste of time.

Norfolk should do the noble thing and buckle in. They should try to get the CBD hooked up with the BRT. The LR plan that they have is too cluttered in the CBD anyway (and BTW it is very small and walkable and needs only a few stops). Linking main tourist areas together by transit is a good first step.

LR will not be coming here anytime soon and BRT is a much faster option. In fact, Norfolk should consider doing BRT for its main routes along with giving busses priority over other traffic in rush hours and setting up routes with better thought out stops.

But its still a "BUS". People don't like riding on buses no matter what they look like. They associate them with childhood memories of riding the bus and of low paying jobs IMO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The reason that I don't like riding the bus is that they are always breaking down and stuck in traffic. If they have dedicated lanes they should be fine.

BTW how do people get around there in Okinawa? When I was in Europe there were busses everywhere and people did not have problems with them because they are on time and clean. Same goes for Portland, OR. I thought that Japan would have a good transit system. Does everyone just use cars there in Okinawa?

The reason that I don't like riding the bus is that they are always breaking down and stuck in traffic.  If they have dedicated lanes they should be fine.

BTW how do people get around there in Okinawa?  When I was in Europe there were busses everywhere and people did not have problems with them because they are on time and clean.  Same goes for Portland, OR.  I thought that Japan would have a good transit system.  Does everyone just use cars there in Okinawa?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When i made the bus quote I was more talking from the person living in Hampton Roads's perspective. But on Okinawa, we are very dependent on cars and buses. The island is very elongated, but bus routes cover almost the whole island. However, a monorail just opened 2 years ago in the main city, and it is a huge success. About 32,000 riders a day for a city of only 313,000. And now the bus companies are suffering from lack of riders.

**EDITORIAL**

Case for transit grows even stronger

Traffic congestion in Hampton Roads has become measurably worse in the past few years. Anybody facing a bridge or tunnel during rush hour knows that.

In 2003, according to a new study, area travelers burned 14 million gallons of gas sitting in traffic jams. The average motorist wasted 26 hours in rush-hour traffic delays, though folks who have to pass over or under the water probably spend that much time idling in traffic every month.

I think they should build the tunnel to the MM because of the new port over there to help keep the traffic down so the trucks can move the shipments around alot easier. And if they build the 3rd crossing it will not disrupt current traffic as would widening the HRBT!

I think they should build the tunnel to the MM because of the new port over there to help keep the traffic down so the trucks can move the shipments around alot easier. And if they build the 3rd crossing it will not disrupt current traffic as would widening the HRBT!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heck, they should be doing both. God knows that its needed. The third crossing will only help the traffic situation at the hrbt by just under 20 percent I believe is what the report says. But, hell will probably freeze over before that happens.

Heck, they should be doing both.  God knows that its needed.  The third crossing will only help the traffic situation at the hrbt by just under 20 percent I believe is what the report says.  But, hell will probably freeze over before that happens.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am a fervent supporter of both options but we have to be real careful not to tax this region to death. If it becomes too costly to do business on this side of the tunnel then our current economic boom (and highrise boom thats resulted from it) will go down the drain. An increased sales tax AND putting new tolls on all existing tunnels is a bit overboard. I would be in support of one or the other but not all at the same time.