Charlotte Auto Dealerships

DigitalSky

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cantnot.....good god no......this is the best thing to ever happen to those two corridors.

South will see the benefit first, since some of these can be redeveloped for TOD......Independence will be a while before it gets LRT or BRT, but none the less, this will free up massive acres of ugly crap...

in the short term t will be a bad thing. but with redevelopment south blvd cming in the long term, the auto malls heading further towards 485 will be a good thing. it will open up so much more land for redevelopment. it is sometimes sickening to see lot after lot of auto dealers.

Anytime you can hide an unsightly car dealership is a good thing. I think this would be great for south blvd. this would open up tons of land for development on south lrt. It might hurt independence for a few years since most retail in the area has already fled. But it does open up possibilities. Maybe they could run brt/lrt next to independence instead of down the center of it. It would create more room for accesible stations and TOD.

i think automalls add a certain class to the city vs. tacky rows on rows of dealerships on crowded us highways.

When i first saw cary's i thought it was so much nicer than others.

I definitely agree that it will be good to get rid of the dealerships from south and independence, BUT, i've always found it a little ironic that dealerships are on the ABSOLUTELY NOT list for being near transit stops. I mean, in a place like the charlotte, the only time most people are without their cars are when they are in the shop getting fixed! I've often walked along south blvd after dropping off my honda to kill time at circuit city... how much would i have wanted in those moments to have been able to spend a buck to get home on the train.

this definitely has long term benefits. i agree, anytime you mask dealerships away from view is a good thing. lots of people need cars, they'll find them if they really need them.

this issue begs the bigger question, "What type of development would you like to see on the Independence corridor?"

South is being developed as an LRT corridor, so that infrastructure change is already in motion. Independece is a different type of corridor as it is vehicular based whereas South will move away from that.

this issue begs the bigger question, "What type of development would you like to see on the Independence corridor?"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[JOKE]

The the dead ruins of 60s-80s big-box sprawl can be bought up, and be a park/museum in the perils of throw-away development patterns, and a study in the return of naturn to a lifeless, artificial landscape. there could be tours on the different for of rust, mold, and weeds as they develop. there could be studies done on whether the signs and buildings were tackier when they were in business or when they are vacant. the old circuit city building could also be leased to the boy scouts for camping trips.

In Ireland, the ruins are moss covered remants of castles... and people come from miles away to see them. This could be the next big trend in eco-tourism.

[/JOKE]

^lol.......

The automall will be served by the terminus of the southeast transit line.....so have no fear, you can still drop off your car, and take a bus/rail tour to the worlds largest urban natural reclamation project.

Independence can finally be a REAL freeway with less businesses along the sides with buses going down the middle, while the street cars and less care dependent uses can go along central. Indepdence is way too car -orientd to change it anytime soon. If anything, light rail can go along the sides while express bus routes can go in the middle of the road.

We have already spent million turning Indepdence into a freeway, lets jt finally finish the damn thing and call it a day, rather than tear everything back up again. It is being designed as a freeway, let all of the urban development concentrate on the major raods around Indepence, such as Monroe and Central and others.

We have already spent million turning Indepdence into a freeway, lets jt finally finish the damn thing and call it a day, rather than tear everything back up again. It is being designed as a freeway, let all of the urban development concentrate on the major raods around Indepence, such as Monroe and Central and others.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...but the edges aren't full freeway, as there are many side roads and drive ways. We can should request the change from DOT soon, so they can add it to the 2070-2077 TIP.

Actually, one of the reasons that Hendrick is building the auto mall is because NCDOT will take their land.  There is a large interchange planned at Harris and Independence.  BMW, Acura, Mini, Honda, Saturn all will be demolished for the cloverleaf.

The Mini dealership was just buil so I doubt that they're too worried about this.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm suprised Charlotte only has (as of now) one of each "high-end" auto dealers (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Jaguar, etc). I believe they are building a new BMW dealer but I'm not sure where. Also, are they building a new Mercedes Benz dealer in Pineville? I think I read somewhere that they were (along with a service center). Finally, does anyone know when they are going to start construction on the auto parks/malls?

That is not because of the Charlotte's size. It is because the Hendrick and Beck family hold exclusive franchises to BMW and Mercedes for the Charlotte area. Both need to move their operation off Independence as I find it extremely inconvenient to go to Beck for service. (though I only go there for warranty work now) I have hear rumors that Beck has wanted something near the Lake and/or Pineville.

Hendrick has a lock on some of the other highend cars.

There is another dealership for both in Hickory (which Hendrick owns) which is only 45 miles away as the crow flies, so while not in the metro, is very close. The closest non-Hendrick/Beck Mercedes dealer is in Winston-Salem, about 60 miles from Huntersville. While there isn't a Bentley, Rolls or Maybach dealer in Charlotte (have to go to ATL for that) I believe you can arrange to buy one through Bech & Hendrick.

I don't consider Lexus, Acura, and Infinity true luxury cars as these are just re-badged Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissans but those are much more common in Charlotte.

Archived