NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Yeah, this plan has also been poo-poo'd on UP, but it is most interesting for this thread in that Land Design showed what is possible around the newly redesigned interchange and the Hall of Fame, which I am cautiously optimistic that we got.

How awesome would it be (this is just a pipe dream), if not only we got the HOF announcement soon, but also the announcment of a new tower to house corporate offices of Nascar and related companies.

PS. This was my 4000th post. I am now a city. :)

I had a thought about that as well after the mention of the office space in yesterdays articles. But my question is who controls the site of the proposed office portion at the Westin? If the city controls, maybe a deal could be made? I'm not sure how much space nascar currently has throughout the city, but it seems that a mid-rise office building could be large enough for a new HQ and consolidate to their Cahrlotte offices. Of course this is purely hypothetical.

The Westin's developer, John Portman, owns the rights to build that tower, though the city could certainly offer incentives such as reducing the property tax, in which Portman could then pass the discount along in the rent.

Portman is from Atlanta though, so he might not look to help NASCAR relocate to Charlotte, but at the end of the day, its usually about money.

I wouldn't think NASCAR needs that much space though. Anyone have any clue how much space is in Daytona and in the Charlotte area that specifically is leased/owned by NASCAR? They would need to pre-lease about 100,000 sq. ft. for Portman to get financing on that building. The one advantage is that the building offers over 3 parking spaces per 1,000 sq. ft., which is comparable to a suburban office park (the downtown average is only 1:1000), so that could help attract those who value autos.

I quickly read through the posts since last night so i don't know if this one has been posted, but it looks good for Charlotte. With all the rumors of us getting the HOF and then Atlanta outbidding us, and then Atlanta not outbidding us, and everything else, one of the news stations said the announcement was going to be made Monday at 4:00 at the convention center.

I only thought this interesting because a time and place where mentioned.

Again, not sure if this has been posted, but i apologize if it has.

the announcement was going to be made Monday at 4:00 at the convention center.

I only thought this interesting because a time and place where mentioned.

you are right statman. I heard that time and place on 11 pm local CBS news last night. I would have to say the deal is almost certain. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

The news interviews were funny last night - complete with retakes after they thought they said too much. "I'll be at the breakfast tomorrow... yada yada" take two: "no, there is no breakfast with Brian France scheduled for tomorrow". *wink* Or, "It's great that it will be in Charlotte"... umm, take two: "In my opinion, we have a great chance..." :D

It may be that Charlotte thought a bit outside the box and offered a broader proposal - not just the hall of fame, but a new home for Nascar including office space and other ancillary projects to make it a more complete package. I could see why they'd go for that over being just one of many attractions on the Atlanta day pass. This way, they get to be the big fish.

I've heard 10:00 am Monday and 4:00 pm Monday for announcements....

Here's the latest from The Observer:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/14000316.htm

Gov Easley is cautioning that its not over yet and that he's seen "a lot of deals fall through at the last minute", which to my mind basically just confirms that there is indeed a deal on the table for CLT. The area legislators and the city council are meeting on monday, so there's probably been some adjustments made to the bid that technically required govt approval, but apparently nothing too major. I'm still feeling good about Monday. Don't expect anything out of NASCAR until then. I still think it's interesting that the official NASCAR website is only running the 2/28 Observer story that was picked up by the AP ("HOF going to CLT") and not the subsequent 3/1 AP story ("ATL and Daytona still optimistic")

I was wondering when he would show up. He is only interested in Charlotte when it is time to show up and take credit for something coming to the city.

No doubt. Easily was the first governor in a century to be from the east after another governor from the east. Before that, the governorship alternated east and west every new governor. The impact affects in subtle ways all the time, and Charlotte, being in the west of the state often gets forgotten.

But we do all know Easley is a nascar fiend, so I'm sure we can expect him to be making sure things happen for us on this count. We did get broad support from the state for this endeavor. Perhaps they will visit more often if we do get the hall.

No doubt. Easily was the first governor in a century to be from the east after another governor from the east. Before that, the governorship alternated east and west every new governor. The impact affects in subtle ways all the time, and Charlotte, being in the west of the state often gets forgotten.

But we do all know Easley is a nascar fiend, so I'm sure we can expect him to be making sure things happen for us on this count. We did get broad support from the state for this endeavor. Perhaps they will visit more often if we do get the hall.

Just don't Easley get behind the wheel of one of the cars.....he's likely to bring the whole HOF crashing down.

Soap box time for me. I apologize up front for this rant...

What amazes me is when we North Carolinians don't view what's happening in Raleigh or Charlotte with more amazement. What we are seeing here in NC is the emergence of at least two great urban areas - with the added benefit of several other rapidly emerging urban areas (GSO, Wilmington, Asheville) that, frankly, trump anything our neighbors can offer. IMHO, we should be "celebrating" and advocating the remarkable, and continued emergence of, the qualitative differences that exist among our urban centers. I don't want to see Raleigh-Durham (or Greensboro, Winston, Wilmington, or Asheville) to be "the same as....insert another city here" in 20 years...

North Carolinians should stop for a moment and appreciate the wealth of diversity in this state rather than belittling this or that about one place or another.

^That's pretty bad. We first thought she was taking money from homeless people...but now she just fabricated the whole notion of $77,000,000???? Who the heck is this "mayor"?

This is another article http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared/s...M_0301_COX.html on the situation.

"Charlotte and Atlanta both have advantages. Charlotte is considered the heart of the sport. Atlanta is more diverse and can drive more tourists to the venue. But the contest — in the end — may come down to money."

Seems like atlanta really was acting like the jealous older brother. If he can't have it....then why should his little brother? I think that this situation is best summed up by "SHOW ME THE MONNNNNEEEEEEY".

Mayor Franklin has been voted as one of the top 10 mayors in the country and top ten or 100 in the world. She is actually a very good mayor and understands how to bridge a diverse constituency. She is both humanitarian and shrewd businesswoman. I feel however that she has allowed herself to cozy up too much with state legislators. It baffles me that she....of all people....is so gung ho about landing the NASCAR HOF. Perhaps she is trying to leave her mark on the city of Atlanta but this was not the way to do it. She brought the city from being in debt to a healthy surplus. She has balanced budgets in her first term alone. That alone will cement her term along the likes of Mayor Ivan Allen and Mayor Maynard Jackson.

To me, she should have focused on civic programs first. There is the beautiful newly proposed symphony hall. There is the Beltline....an intown ring that will bring tens of billions dollars worth of development ringing the city. Just last month she talked about finding funding for the newly proposed westside park. This park alone will add 400+ acres of parkland for Atlantans to enjoy for generations to come. There is intown development going on. The last thing she needs to do is not to consider the wishes of her constituency.

While having the HOF would have been nice along with the other attractions downtown, I didn't get the sense that the people of Atlanta proper were all gung ho about the project. I'm sure their concerns are more focused on the Beltline, intown development, MARTA, schools, lower crime and a new home for the symphony orchestra. Quite honestly I am disappointed in her. Perhaps her work on this project will land her favor in the statehouse. Every other politician eager to get the HOF probably only come to the city of Atlanta when the House and Senate are in session.

We will see if these same people who convinced Mayor Franklin to loose her mind over the HOF will help her when it comes time to finding funding for the new symphony hall, MARTA or the Beltline. Let's hope she knows more about the backdoor deals she brokered than meets the eye.

Archived