Charlotte VS Jacksonville VS Nashville

ncguy06

Which city has the best chance to become the next "big city" of the south, these seem to be the top 3 choices, now what do you think and why??  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Which city has the best chance to become the next "big city" of the south, these seem to be the top 3 choices, now what do you think and why??

• Charlotte
    • Jacksonville
    • Nashville

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's no longer dead downtown and only getting better as a new restaurant or club is announced weekly.

Besides, if all you have is nightlife, you are in the same predicament only a different timeframe.

True, I note that you mentioned restaurant or club.

In comparison, Charlotte's center city has two brand new full service grocery stores, a brand new childrens museum, a historic trolley that is well used, new light rail line underconstruction, and a new downtown multimodal train station beginning construction that will connect the commuter rail, high speed rail, express buses, Amtrak, the North Carolinal Rail Road, and taxi service all in the same facility. There are also about 3000+ condos under construction.

I think we can all agree that as far as nightlife goes in downtowns, Nashville's blows both Charlotte and Jax away. As far as straight up comparisons go, Charlotte has the smallest downtown out of the three, has a great lack of historic architecture and urbanity, lacks the urban waterfront landscape and has a lower number of pedestrian friendly neighborhoods surrounding it and also has to overcome the obstacle of a loop expressway cutting it off from the rest of the city.

Nevertheless, it should be commended for turning things around after destroying much of its originial landscape, by investing in light rail and smart planning within the last 10 years or so. In the grand scheme of things, these cities face different issues (ex. Charlotte's playing catch-up will the other two are trying to return to their glory days), so which one you like is open for debate.

However, unless someone can prove other wise, by challenging the permit stats posted in the other thread, records show that Jax is in the midst of a larger building boom. No reason to take offense though, because all are setting a good example that other cities can follow.

However, unless someone can prove other wise, by challenging the permit stats posted in the other thread, records show that Jax is in the midst of a larger building boom. No reason to take offense though, because all are setting a good example that other cities can follow.

The only reason you have more building stats is because the land area of JAX is OVER FOUR TIMES that of CLT. Take your bldg stats devide by four or five and then see what you come up with. I have been to Jacksonville and I am not seeing the same thing that I am currently seeing in CLT. Jacksonville is booming, but to make comments like you are making simply do not reflect your knowledge of what is taking place in Charlotte.

Not to mention the fact that the Charlotte skyline will change more in the next three years than in all of the last 15. We are experiencing a Center City boom that is going at full throttle and not letting up. I challenge anyone to question the dynamics taking place in CLT right now. Taller buildings, definately more retail, and above all more residents than both Jacksonville and Nashville combined in our Uptown.

And for the comment of Charlotte not living up to Nashville that is a bit far fetched too. I can't tell you how many nights I am in CLT and find thousands of people Uptown (yes I said thousands), that are lining the streets either going to bars or out to a game.

A2

Have you been to Charlotte? This statement would not suggest it TL. :huh:

A2

I've been, but instead of shooting opinions back and forth, we could make this a more interesting and informative debate by creating a separate vs thread comparing only the urban districts outside of the CBDs, using photos, density stats, and aerials. If you guys are game, I am. :w00t:

I've been, but instead of shooting opinions back and forth, we could make this a more interesting and informative debate by creating a separate vs thread comparing only the urban districts outside of the CBDs, using photos, density stats, and aerials. If you guys are game, I am. :w00t:

I am not stating opinions. Charlotte is FOUR times as small in land area as Jacksonville. It is also in a residential boom. There are more residents linving in the CBD (inside of the 277 loop) than that of Nashville and Jacksonville combined. At the end of this decade the number of residents living within the loop will grow by over 4000. That would bring the count of the Uptown population to two times that of Nashville.

Here are more facts.

Full service grocery stores

More than 100 restraunts in a 1.5 square mile area

A bolwing ally currently being built

A state of the Art Arena that is the BEST in the leugue.

BofA Stadium

Two movie theatre's are u/c (Epicenter and Elizibeth district)

Light Rail and Multi Model station

More retail (overstreet mall. It is OVER 8 blocks long)

Residential towers popping up like weeds. (One will be the Tallest Tunnel Form Constructed building in the WORLD, yes I said World. It will soar 58 floors)

Home Depot, Lowes, and Target all being built w/in walking distance from my office in Three Wachovia

of Charlotte not living up to Nashville that is a bit far fetched too. I can't tell you how many nights I am in CLT and find thousands of people Uptown (yes I said thousands), that are lining the streets either going to bars or out to a game.

A2

On a scale of the world, Charlotte's nightlife hasn't made it there yet. It just honestly hasn't. Close, but no cigar. Nashville's has been featured countless times on E!, MTV, CMT, and others. Including Open House Party w/ John G. ( A world wide radio party and club show) The lines of people extend deep into west end and environs around Vanderbilt University. The comparison is just not there.

The only reason you have more building stats is because the land area of JAX is OVER FOUR TIMES that of CLT. Take your bldg stats devide by four or five and then see what you come up with. I have been to Jacksonville and I am not seeing the same thing that I am currently seeing in CLT. Jacksonville is booming, but to make comments like you are making simply do not reflect your knowledge of what is taking place in Charlotte.

We put county stats in the other thread as well.

Not to mention the fact that the Charlotte skyline will change more in the next three years than in all of the last 15. We are experiencing a Center City boom that is going at full throttle and not letting up. I challenge anyone to question the dynamics taking place in CLT right now. Taller buildings, definately more retail, and above all more residents than both Jacksonville and Nashville combined in our Uptown.
I'm not questioning the dynamics, I'm just saying it doesn't lead these other cities in all categories of growth, as some claim.

And for the comment of Charlotte not living up to Nashville that is a bit far fetched too. I can't tell you how many nights I am in CLT and find thousands of people Uptown (yes I said thousands), that are lining the streets either going to bars or out to a game.

A2

Its true, Nashville is the country music capital. Because of this, its downtown is more entertainment oriented then both Charlotte and Jacksonville. There's no reason to be a homer about that. Please post pics or stats comparing Nashville's downtown nightlife scene, with Uptown's, if you disagree. :)

I am not stating opinions. Charlotte is FOUR times as small in land area as Jacksonville. It is also in a residential boom. There are more residents linving in the CBD (inside of the 277 loop) than that of Nashville and Jacksonville combined. At the end of this decade the number of residents living within the loop will grow by over 4000. That would bring the count of the Uptown population to two times that of Nashville.

Here are more facts.

Full service grocery stores

More than 100 restraunts in a 1.5 square mile area

A bolwing ally currently being built

A state of the Art Arena that is the BEST in the leugue.

BofA Stadium

Two movie theatre's are u/c (Epicenter and Elizibeth district)

Light Rail and Multi Model station

More retail (overstreet mall. It is OVER 8 blocks long)

Residential towers popping up like weeds. (One will be the Tallest Tunnel Form Constructed building in the WORLD, yes I said World. It will soar 58 floors)

Home Depot, Lowes, and Target all being built w/in walking distance from my office in Three Wachovia

You really need to educate yourself on some things Nashville my friend. Charlotte is not twice the size in any way. I guess you throw the growth rates of both jax. and Nashville out the window and assume they stop growing too.

A2, it's posters like you that turn the forums off of Charlotte.

I moved to Charlotte in 1985. The Uptown (Center City) has change so much that it does not look like the same town. There is more things going on in uptown Charlotte now than I ever seen.

I have not been to Jacksonville and Nashville lately, so I can not make a judgement on how their center cities are doing.

On a scale of the world, Charlotte's nightlife hasn't made it there yet. It just honestly hasn't. Close, but no cigar. Nashville's has been featured countless times on E!, MTV, CMT, and others. Including Open House Party w/ John G. ( A world wide radio party and club show) The lines of people extend deep into west end and environs around Vanderbilt University. The comparison is just not there.

Look I love Nashville, but until you guys come to Charlotte I will never be able to convey what is happening. Nashville is a HUGE city for country music and nightlife. I am not arguing that. What I am saying is that there are hundreds and thousands of people in Uptown Charlotte on any given night and those people find there ways to the restraunts and bars.

As far as suggesting we have not arrived, I will agree. I think Charlotte is well on its way. With everything Uptown that one can find in the suburbs, Charlotte is becoming a 24 hour downtown. IMO it is far ahead of most cities similar in size. IMO, it is surpassing a lot of larger cities.

A2

You really need to educate yourself on some things Nashville my friend. Charlotte is not twice the size in any way. I guess you throw the growth rates of both jax. and Nashville out the window and assume they stop growing too.

A2, it's posters like you that turn the forums off of Charlotte.

What the HECK are you talking about. I was speaking to the Uptown Resident count. CHALOTTE IS 2X as populated in its Uptown than Nashville. Do you even know the count of residents in your Center city?

As far me turning people off on Charlotte that is total crap. That is not my intent and for that matter if you read my posts there is no bashing at all, Just facts. I am simply stating facts to counter what others have posted regarding Charlotte. I have been to ALL the cities mentioned in this thread and love them all. BUT, as for Charlotte my facts are what they are.

A2

What the HECK are you talking about. I was speaking to the Uptown Resident count. CHALOTTE IS 2X as populated in its Uptown than Nashville. Do you even know the count of residents in your Center city?

As far me turning people off on Charlotte that is total BS. That is not my intent and for that matter if you read my posts there is no bashing at all, Just facts. I am simply stating facts to counter what others have posted regarding Charlotte. I have been to ALL the cities mentioned in this thread and love them all. BUT, as for Charlotte my facts are what they are.

A2

I don't know you and I don't care. But take the time to read over this thread in the Tennessee forum. Remeber, educate yourself. Don't get hateful. We are here trying to discuss these three cities, not see who has the tallest Tube Building (or whatever it was you said up there).

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17903

I moved to Charlotte in 1985. The Uptown (Center City) has change so much that it does not look like the same town. There is more things going on in uptown Charlotte now than I ever seen.

I have not been to Jacksonville and Nashville lately, so I can not make a judgement on how their center cities are doing.

Lets not get caught up on only downtowns. All of these cities extend far beyond the CBD. For example, Jax is under going a lot of urban development and adaptive reuse projects in older neighborhoods outside of downtown, such as Riverside, Avondale, Springfield and San Marco, as well as seeing new urban development in Jax Beach and the Southside.

Btw, I'm here to learn what's going on in other places, as well as share what's going on in Jax. I agree with Metro.M, lets keep it clean and civil.

Outside of Uptown, we have Southpark, it is five miles from center city there is more office space than ANY other city in BOTH Carolinas (including Raleigh). It is also home to some of the best shopping between DC and Atlanta.

On the North side of town Northlake mall which was just completed is now the center piece to what will eventually be over 3.2 MILLION campus of retail. It will become one largest concentrations of retail in BOTH carolinas.

A2

Archived