Charlotte VS Jacksonville VS Nashville

ncguy06

Which city has the best chance to become the next "big city" of the south, these seem to be the top 3 choices, now what do you think and why??  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Which city has the best chance to become the next "big city" of the south, these seem to be the top 3 choices, now what do you think and why??

• Charlotte
    • Jacksonville
    • Nashville

does it mean the top city in the U.S. for current foreign investment?

or does it mean the best city for potential foreign investment based on Site Selection's findings?

I tend to lean toward the latter, because NY, LA, Chicago, and Miami surely have more foreign dollars being spent there, but it is very likely that with all its recent population and business growth that Charlotte is one of the best places for foreign companies to begin investing more in. I think that Site Selection's main purpose is to measure potential so companies can select locations for new and expanded offices/businesses/development/investment/etc.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does it mean the top city in the U.S. for current foreign investment?

or does it mean the best city for potential foreign investment based on Site Selection's findings?

I tend to lean toward the latter, because NY, LA, Chicago, and Miami surely have more foreign dollars being spent there, but it is very likely that with all its recent population and business growth that Charlotte is one of the best places for foreign companies to begin investing more in.  I think that Site Selection's main purpose is to measure potential so companies can select locations for new and expanded offices/businesses/development/investment/etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The SITE SELECTION article referred to toal monies invested in 02'. Now in all honesty CLT could have fallen a spot or so since then. Here is anither interesting fact.

Currently, there are almost 700 foreign-owned companies in the Charlotte region. In fact, if North and South Carolina were a separate nation, it would be the 12th largest economy in the world, slightly smaller than Australia and bigger than Switzerland, generating $397 Billion in gross domestic product. The region's unique balance of business strength, accessibility, and quality of life certainly attracted many of these companies from abroad.

Link:

http://www.charlotteusa.com/Regional/regio...ternational.asp

or the Home page @

http://www.charlotteusa.com/index.asp

A2

Charlotte has the best chance of becoming "the next big city of the south" because it is already the big city in its area and state.

Memphis is bigger and more economically powerful then Nashville, Jacksonville is pretty far down the tiers in Flordia. Tampa and Orlando are not the "big cities of the south" yet and they are further ahead of Jax.

The article about Charlotte being a #1 place for investment by foreign entities is a little bigger then saying Nashville is supposedly number #1 for corporate relocation by Forbes. But anyone can pick and choose these facts to pursue their own means. I personally don't think they (the rankings) matter.

As for growth infrastructure...

Charlotte has a world sized airport, A2 had a few posts about that somewhere else on here. 17th in the world or somewhere near that in total movements.

Charlotte already has a corporate presence that far exceeds these two other cities. They must have moved here with some infrastructure, it only improves too.

Charlotte is a leading distribution center, higher then Atlanta. Nashville probably will not try to venture into that arena with Memphis nearby and distribution networks in Jax would not make that much sense at such a scale.

What the heck are you talking about VIPER. I posted the link to the newspaper after I listed what Site selection stated. Here is the entire segment on the Charlotte Chamber who references not THEIR STATS, BUT SITES'

Here is the Info:

International Business

In 2002, that number had grown to 441 - an increase of 635 percent over the 32-year period. Charlotte also ranks No. 1 on Site Selection magazine's list of top 10 U.S. cities for foreign investment.

Foreign-owned companies with operations in Charlotte-Mecklenburg in 2002 represent 35 nations. Germany leads the list with 118, followed by Japan, 54; Great Britain, 52; Switzerland, 38; Italy, 32; and Canada, 25 .

I just listed Site Net for the reference as it is one of the most respected names in Corprate Real Estate and Business in the world. So I don't know wht BS you are referring to.

Here is the web link if you want it. Viper I do not get your talk. You talk about cities and Urban Development then you would know what Site net was instead of calling it a bunch of BS. The PDF just shows the strength of the resource. I bet even other forumers here, who work for developers, know of Site, and would disagree with you 100% on you statement that Site Net is BS. Again, I am not knocking you, just suggesting you research what you call BS. ;)

Here is your site.

http://www.sitenet.com/

Charlotte is a leading distribution center, higher then Atlanta. Nashville probably will not try to venture into that arena with Memphis nearby and distribution networks in Jax would not make that much sense at such a scale.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very true, however, Jax is a major rail terminal for the east coast, a major seaport and one of the few decent sized cities with a beach and a major river. All of these cities excell over each other in certain areas. Ranking them, depends on what's most important to each individual.

Very true, however, Jax is a major rail terminal for the east coast, a major seaport and one of the few decent sized cities with a beach and a major river.  All of these cities excell over each other in certain areas.  Ranking them, depends on what's most important to each individual.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree TL. I never questioned Jacksonville's signifigance as a major seaport. Nor have I questioned the Beach concept or River. I am stating what stats CLT has and where they stand both regionally and nationally with resect to our economy.

A2

In 2002, that number had grown to 441 - an increase of 635 percent over the 32-year period. Charlotte also ranks No. 1 on Site Selection magazine's list of top 10 U.S. cities for foreign investment.

Foreign-owned companies with operations in Charlotte-Mecklenburg in 2002 represent 35 nations. Germany leads the list with 118, followed by Japan, 54; Great Britain, 52; Switzerland, 38; Italy, 32; and Canada, 25 .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I may be reading this wrong, but this looks like they're listing its potential for Foreign-owned companies and investment. I also find it hard to believe that Charlotte tops cities like Miami, NYC, Chicago, LA, Houston, etc. for "actual" foreign investment.

I agree TL. I never questioned Jacksonville's signifigance as a major seaport. Nor have I questioned the Beach concept or River. I am stating what stats CLT has and where they stand both regionally and nationally with resect to our economy.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I was just reply to moonshield's post in general. :)

Ok not to knock anyone, but if we are less recognized than other cities in the US in Eourpe than why is Charlotte listed as the NUMBER ONE CITY FOR FOREIGN INVESTMENT IN THE ENTIRE US???

Again that is NUmber one in the ENTIRE US !

Source is SITE magazine. Here is the Link:

http://www.charlottechamber.com/content.cf...&content_id=190

Here is the information

Charlotte also ranks No. 1 on Site Selection magazine's list of top 10 U.S. cities for foreign investment.Foreign-owned companies with operations in Charlotte-Mecklenburg in 2002 represent 35 nations. Germany leads the list with 118, followed by Japan, 54; Great Britain, 52; Switzerland, 38; Italy, 32; and Canada, 25 .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are speaking corporately. Investors and big corporations do their research before selecting any city. Why else would unknowns like Greenville, SC get BMW plants? Certainly not unresearched name recognition.

I'm talking about walking up to the average Joe in London or Paris or Sydney and saying the word "Nashville" or "Charlotte" or "Jacksonville" and see which city is better recognized. I would think Nashville would be the winner. And all the capital letters and bold print on earth won't prove anything other than defensiveness of the one posting it.

This poll is about which city is "better". A bit vague but "better" could mean a host of things including name recognition. If there are any overseas people here, it would be interesting for them to take a street poll of a lot of U.S. cities and just mention their names and ask if the person recognizes it. You could include a lot of other mid sized cities like Memphis, Louisville, Tampa, Birmingham, etc. Metroplexes like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Miami, etc. wouldn't be fair because they are well established internationally.

This poll is about which city is "better".  A bit vague but "better" could mean a host of things including name recognition. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, the poll is about:

Which city has the best chance to become the next "big city" of the south, these seem to be the top 3 choices, now what do you think and why??

I think A2s "corporate" reasoning is far more relavent than name recognition among foreigners in regards to which will become the next "big city".

• 2 months later...

I'm saying that within a short period of time, I watched as multiple Nashville based members voted one right after the other almost as if planned. Kinda as though someone was upset that Nashville wasn't passing J-ville and asked other Nashville members to vote for N-ville to catch up.

Nothing wrong with voting N-ville is you've weighed in all the data and you still feel is has the better chance as the poll requests. I operate a 15k member forum, you start to notice suspicious things like this.

Jacksonville is definitely my choice. It has the best location because it has a river that you can actually use and it is on the ocean. It is in Florida, too, which is a plus, but it is still connected to the rest of the south. There are too many projects to count in dowtown alone, and there are many companies relocating here. Give it a decade and we will be a major player before charlotte or nashville.

Jacksonville is definitely my choice. It has the best location because it has a river that you can actually use and it is on the ocean. It is in Florida, too, which is a plus, but it is still connected to the rest of the south. There are too many projects to count in dowtown alone, and there are many companies relocating here. Give it a decade and we will be a major player before charlotte or nashville.

A decade...that is a lot of catch up time. The other two cities do not look like they are slowing down at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived