Charlotte VS Jacksonville VS Nashville

ncguy06

Which city has the best chance to become the next "big city" of the south, these seem to be the top 3 choices, now what do you think and why??  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Which city has the best chance to become the next "big city" of the south, these seem to be the top 3 choices, now what do you think and why??

• Charlotte
    • Jacksonville
    • Nashville

I went to Fortune's website and counted one-by-one, the number of Fortune 500 companies (2005 list) in the metro areas of Houston, Dallas, Washington & Atlanta.  Here's what I found:

Houston: 21

Dallas: 17

Atlanta: 14

Washington: 14

http://www.lead411.com/fortune500a.taf

From my calculations I get the following numbers for the Texas cities. I have listed the F500's numbers on the list for anyone to verify my calculations

Houston:23

#'s: 2,7,31,60,96,101,168,209,232,250,260,271,314,327,330,333,338,352,361,367,404,438

Dallas/Ft Worth:15

#'s:

I used the list Fortune 500s

Oracle is good for sorting them but I'm sure some of your more technically inclined forumers can find a better way to sort from the F500 list.

I must say.......I'm very impressed by metropolitan Houston. :thumbsup:

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a F500 rundown of the specific cities/metros of this thread.

Charlotte

18 Bank of America

43 Lowes

65 Wachovia

86 Duke Energy

189 Nucor Corp

272 Sonic Automotive

345 SPX Corp

373 Family Dollar Stores

408 Goodrich

Jacksonville

182 Winn Dixie

261 Fidelity National Finance

269 CSX Corp

Nashville

73 Caremark RX, Inc.

80 HCA Inc

280 Dollar General

I used the list above provided by thelakelander. If my numbers are wrong, please add any additional F500s I may have missed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you Cheeriokid61. I have no idea why the thread went off on such a tangent but above is information more germane to the topic at hand. I hope this helps. B)

For some reason on the F500 list provided by Thelakekander, Caremark RX, Inc, coming in at 73 is listing Birmingham as it's headquarters. I don't know if that's an error or not but that's how it's listed.

edit: I found an article which states that Caremark RX has moved it's headquarters from Birmingham to Nashville. That list is slightly dated.

As for the 2005 F-1000 list...

Charlotte-

Bank of America (18)

Lowe's (43)

Wachovia (65)

Duke Energy (86)

Nucor (189)

Sonic Automotive (272)

SPX (345)

Family Dollar (373)

Goodrich (408)

Ruddick (584)

Carlisle (654)

Belk (667)

Piedmont Natural Gas (909)

Nashville-

Caremark RX (73)

HCA (80)

Dollar General (280)

Community Health System (518)

Louisiana-Pacific (572)

Vanguard Health Systems (827)

Tractor Supply (839)

Renal Care Group (989)

Jacksonville-

Winn-Dixie Stores (182)

Fidelity National Financial (261)

CSX (269)

Landstar System (753)

Stein Mart (932)

MPS Group (944)

PSS World Medical (987)

Charlotte clearly wins in the big business world.

I might have left some off for Charlotte and Jacksonville because I'm not too fimiliar with the suburb names for these two cities.

While these are important indicators too much is often read into where a company is headquartered. Some of these companies probably employ a few number of people at their headquarters and employ most of their workforce in other areas of the country.

Jacksonville

182 Winn Dixie

261 Fidelity National Finance

269 CSX Corp

I used the list above provided by thelakelander. If my numbers are wrong, please add any additional F500s I may have missed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suspect that Winn Dixie will be disappearing off that list soon.

If it goes by revenue stream, they'll drop but they won't fall off the list. Imo, eventually, they close up shop, but that's a couple of years away. I'd keep my eye on Fidelity's recent spin-offs that won't show up on this year's list. At least one, Fidelity Information Systems, is suspected to crack the Fortune 500 soon.

• 2 weeks later...

The list I'm using which correlates to GaTechGuy's ranks lists #997 Coach Inc. from Jacksonville. Also, #669 CBRL Group is based in Lebanon, TN which is technically Nashville MSA.

I was surprised not to see Fred's (based in Memphis) on the list even though Family Dollar out of Charlotte and Dollar General out of Nashville were there. I thought Fred's was about the same size as those 2 chains.

The list I'm using which correlates to GaTechGuy's ranks lists #997 Coach Inc. from Jacksonville.  Also, #669 CBRL Group is based in Lebanon, TN which is technically Nashville MSA. 

I was surprised not to see Fred's (based in Memphis) on the list even though Family Dollar out of Charlotte and Dollar General out of Nashville were there.  I thought Fred's was about the same size as those 2 chains.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually the Market Cap on Fred's is VERY small only 614 Million as opposed to Nashville's Dollar General at 6 Billion and Charlotte's Family Dollar at 3.6 Billion.

A2

It would take Fred being 6 times their size to be the size of Familly Dollor and over 10 times its size to be a Dollar General. Pretty amazing as it seems you see Fred's everywhere. Maybe it's just a chain primarily based in the SE. ;)

A2

As, stated earlier, Charlotte has already established itself, as a city for big business.  Its metro will also continue to out grow the other two, due to an unlimited supply of cheap land suited for development (unless BOA or Wachovia merge and move their headquarters).  I guess that could happen considering they ate our home grown bank (Barnett), about 10 years ago.

However, Jax has a much better chance to establish itself as a diversified city with a "traditional big city atmosphere", over the other two, mainly due to its natural location and history.  Jax's urban core is already larger and denser than that of Charlotte's and it appears that it currently has more residential units and towers planned in downtown.  With the diverse range of urban neigborhoods, architecture, parks, gritty big city bridges, the port, the river, the beaches and diversified economy, Jax has all the potential in the world to become something special and very unique from any other city in the South.  Its ultimately going to come down to having the vision to get things done.  Mayor Delaney certainly had vision with his Better Jax Plan.  Now its time for Peyton to step up.  However, I don't see the area ever experiencing the rapid population growth, Charlotte's overall metro area saw during the late 90's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you say diversified I hope you don't mean racially?? Well if you did Charlotte is more diverse than Jacksonville and Nashville?

When you say diversified I hope you don't mean racially?? Well if you did Charlotte is more diverse than Jacksonville and Nashville?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, he means business wise with less focus one one particular area.

That's not to say that Charlotte is strictly banking but it does kinda 'bank' on it. (yeah, bad pun, sue me).

Cheronybl has a lot of global name recognition as well. Maybe more than Nashville, but I would not call it a nice liveable vibrant area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was a seneless comparison.

Go anywhere in Europe and say Nashville, and it will be recognized far more than either Charlotte or Jacksonville. The point being "positive" recognition as a music leader and not just country music. Many rock and roll bands including the Beatles have recorded there over the years. What Nashville lacks has always been self-confidence. Having lived around there half my life, I find that they did not try to break free from the music / entertainment perception successfully to become a serious contender for business until the last 12 years or so. So I agree Nville has some catching up to do. Based on logistics alone, (more central location/better interstate system) Nashville has the best long term chance at a continued steady growth rate in the metro.

Yes Charlotte threw up a couple of tall buldings to "look" big and it did cause some attention to be gained but it may or may not be the launch pad for perpetual growth. You promote yourselves VERY well but you can't succeed on perception forever. Eventually after the smoke clears, can the city stand the test of time? The interstate system there is awful. I've driven through there three and four times a year from South Carolina and it is terrible. Basically the growth can continue but your infrastructure must improve a lot. I hope you do succeed because it is a facinating city but you can't live on BOA forever.

Jacksonville is a nice city but I have only been there once. Can't speak for it.

What Nashville lacks has always been self-confidence.  Having lived around there half my life, I find that they did not try to break free from the music / entertainment perception successfully to become a serious contender for business until the last 12 years or so.  So I agree Nville has some catching up to do.  Based on logistics alone, (more central location/better interstate system) Nashville has the best long term chance at a continued steady growth rate...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would also like to add, that despite not really pushing itself as a serious contender for business for a very long, Nashville has already received recognition as being the number 1 location for corporate relocation in America, just passing Atlanta on that list. That's an amazing achievement in such a short time. The business world has just recently discovered Nashville and the move towards Nashville is gaining momentum. Look for many more corporate relocations there in the future. Bids have gone out for construction of two new large office complexes in Franklin (Nashville suburb) that are being built for corporate relocations just in the last three months.

That was a seneless comparison. 

Go anywhere in Europe and say Nashville, and it will be recognized far more than either Charlotte or Jacksonville. 

Yes Charlotte threw up a couple of tall buldings to "look" big and it did cause some attention to be gained but it may or may not be the launch pad for perpetual growth.  The inYou promote yourselves VERY well but you can't succeed on perception forever.  Eventually after the smoke clears, can the city stand the test of time?  I hope you do succeed because it is a facinating city but you can't live on BOA forever.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok not to knock anyone, but if we are less recognized than other cities in the US in Eourpe than why is Charlotte listed as the NUMBER ONE CITY FOR FOREIGN INVESTMENT IN THE ENTIRE US???

Again that is NUmber one in the ENTIRE US !

Source is SITE magazine. Here is the Link:

http://www.charlottechamber.com/content.cf...&content_id=190

Here is the information

Charlotte also ranks No. 1 on Site Selection magazine's list of top 10 U.S. cities for foreign investment.Foreign-owned companies with operations in Charlotte-Mecklenburg in 2002 represent 35 nations. Germany leads the list with 118, followed by Japan, 54; Great Britain, 52; Switzerland, 38; Italy, 32; and Canada, 25 .

Archived