Charlotte VS Jacksonville VS Nashville

ncguy06

Which city has the best chance to become the next "big city" of the south, these seem to be the top 3 choices, now what do you think and why??  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Which city has the best chance to become the next "big city" of the south, these seem to be the top 3 choices, now what do you think and why??

• Charlotte
    • Jacksonville
    • Nashville

A2, you stated that there will be 4k people in uptown by the end of the decade?

Downtown Jax has over 7,400 units (averaging around 2 people per unit) U/C, planned/approved/proposed. That makes for 14,800 plus our current residency bringing the total to over 16k.

You also can't arbitrarily cut Jacksonvilles projects by 1/4 because they aren't spread out evenly across the area. The urban cores are what should be compared or at least full county figures.

I'm game for a new thread.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A2, you stated that there will be 4k people in uptown by the end of he decade?

Downtown Jax has over 7,400 units (averaging around 2 people per unit) U/C, planned/approved/proposed. That makes for 14,800 plus our current residency bringing the total to over 16k.

You also can't arbitrarily cut Jacksonvilles projects by 1/4 because they aren't spread out evenly across the area. The urban cores are what should be compared or at least full county figures.

I'm game for a new thread.

No I said an addition of 4000 residents. This is actually a small number. The projections that I have seen show Uptown's population doubling in the nest ten years. This is in a very dense core area. (1.5 square miles to be exact)

I have a question for Jacksonville residents. When I was in Jacksonville two years ago at the fairgrounds (for a concert) near the football stadium we parked about 1-2 blocks away at the edge of an extremely dilapitated area that was downright scary. It literally looked like a war-zone with dusty roads and half standing buildings. I was wondering if you know where I mean, and if there are any plans now to redo the area due to its proximity to the football stadium and fair grounds. In Charlotte there are a few rough neighborhoods surrounding the CBD, but nothing like the area I'm speaking of in Jacksonville.

I have a question for Jacksonville residents. When I was in Jacksonville two years ago at the fairgrounds (for a concert) near the football stadium we parked about 1-2 blocks away at the edge of an extremely dilapitated area that was downright scary. It literally looked like a war-zone with dusty roads and half standing buildings. I was wondering if you know where I mean, and if there are any plans now to redo the area due to its proximity to the football stadium and fair grounds. In Charlotte there are a few rough neighborhoods surrounding the CBD, but nothing like the area I'm speaking of in Jacksonville.

2 new parking garages are being built in the area of the sports complex.

That dilapidated area has a 4 building $234 million dollar residential complex (36, 33, 30, 15 stories) announced for it.

The Shipyards to the south is about to start a $857 million dollar project.

New thread open if we wish to take it J-ville vs Charlotte. If not, just delete it.

I am not going to go there. I am not going to participate in a city vs city thread. I am a bit upset that this one has got this far. I know that we all have "hometown pride" and with pride comes problems. I think we should all appreciate all cities and not Bash one another.

A2

By comparison, the inner city of Jax, as a whole, is more urban than Charlotte's, mainly because Jax was a much larger city before WWII. With this you also get neighborhoods like this. The neighborhood you speak is East Jacksonville, and I assume you parked somewhere along Philip Randolph Blvd. Its a historically black neighborhood and has always been low income oriented. Most of the homes in this area are of the shotgun variety. This area was also hit hard by urban renewal (in the form of the stadiums and fairground).

Nevertheless, on the riverfront, there's a large development planned called St. Johns Point, that will feature towers of 36,33,30 & 15 stories. Randolph Blvd, has recently been streetscaped, but I'm not aware of any worthwhile projects taking place, north of the Arlington Expressway and west of MLK Expressway.

If you all don't mind, here's some pics of East Jax.

St. Johns Point (early rendering) - 840 residential units/115k sf office/107k sf retail

Crosswind Communities - groundbreaking late 2006

89159_400.jpg

new arena

1959.jpgarena_extphoto.jpg

new minor league ballpark, across street from arena

DSCF0021.JPG

older gritty residential & riverfront industrial section of East Jacksonville

eastjacksonville10tv.jpg

downtownsilos1vh.jpg

I was just at the fair this past weekend and parked in the area you're talking about because I didnt want to pay to park. I am used to this kind of grit, maybe there is nothing like this in Charlotte, but in Jacksonville in any older side of town, you can have nice and old, and then a few blocks over complete ghetto. I have actually gotten lost over there, but it is really cleaning up with Adam Street Station, the new residential projects on the river, new garages and buildings going up near the sports complex.

Here is a good shot of Jacksonville's downtown:

jaxskyline1sk.jpg

By the way, there are 5 highrises under construction not shown in that photo.

Now THAT is a cool pic of DT Jacksonville. And I love how the Veterans Memorial Arena looks.

Any schematics/graphics of what DT will look like once all of the towers are built?

Here is a good shot of Jacksonville's downtown:

jaxskyline1sk.jpg

By the way, there are 5 highrises under construction not shown in that photo.

That is a fantastic shot of DT Jax! It really shows the urban landscape of the area. I wonder if an even better photo could be taken from the top of one of the condo buildings near the I-95 bridge? I think the skyline looks so much more impressive when looking at it from the river side.

• 3 weeks later...

^That is because of the banks.

That alone, still isn't a deciding factor in making Charlotte better than either city though. Global connectedness is hardly an indication of who is and who is not better.

If being a global city is not a deciding factor then what is. Also it is not just the banks. A lot of people think that all Charlotte is but it is home to a number of F500 companies and is a transportaion industry hub. Actually these cities are way to close for me to call. I think it is going to 5-10 years for the dust to settle and to see who comes out on top. I am going to sit back and watch with much anticipation...

Archived