Charlotte VS Jacksonville VS Nashville

ncguy06

Which city has the best chance to become the next "big city" of the south, these seem to be the top 3 choices, now what do you think and why??  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Which city has the best chance to become the next "big city" of the south, these seem to be the top 3 choices, now what do you think and why??

• Charlotte
    • Jacksonville
    • Nashville

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It probably is most of the famous hip hip stars stay in Atlanta and represent it even if they arent from atlanta(usher,bow wow,lil jon) Prime example of what music can do for your city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Catdaddy if you think the only reason Atlanta has a high population of wealthy blacks is because of hip hop then you obviously haven't been to Atlanta. Although Atlanta does have a high population of entertainers and sports athletes, I would say the primary source of this wealth is probably from business and commerce as opposed to entertainment.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say......

Since I have to choose between these three cities, I would say Charlotte is the next big thing. That doesn't take anything away from the other two cities because they are going to be right behind Charlotte. Of course Charlotte is helped by it's corporate identity.....BoA and Wachovia are very huge corporations.

Catdaddy if you think the only reason Atlanta has a high population of wealthy blacks is because of hip hop then you obviously haven't been to Atlanta. Although Atlanta does have a high population of entertainers and sports athletes, I would say the primary source of this wealth is probably from business and commerce as opposed to entertainment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

100% agreed. Atlanta is in the Top five for Corporate HQ's in the Fortune 500. This creates opportunity for all.

Here is the list from Fortune Mag.

Top Cities (with 7 or more HQ)

Rank City HQ 

New York City 43

Houston 20

Atlanta 14

Chicago 10 

Charlotte  8

Dallas  8

St. Louis 7 

Cincinnati  7

Milwaukee  7

Minneapolis  6

Philadelphia  6

Pittsburgh  6

This is for City only, not CSA or Metro area

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was looking for that list A219724 and you beat me to it. I will say that even when you add the metro, Metro Atlanta is number 10. Either list, Atlanta is amongst great company.

Having said that, I will expand even further and say that my comments that I spoke to Catdaddy were...and I quote:

Although Atlanta does have a high population of entertainers and sports athletes, I would say the primary source of this wealth is probably from business and commerce as opposed to entertainment.

This does not limit it only to Fortune 500 companies. There are many black owned companies, that while are not Fortune 500 companies, have afforded their owners and children a very comfortable lifestyle.

I will say this....although this thread was not initially started about Atlanta....Atlanta has many oppurtunities for all citizens of all colors. While the economy has been trying of late, there have been many success stories in the metro area for small business owners. Atlanta ranks high for business start-ups. There are many business oppurtunities to be had here.

From what I am hearing, Charlotte is exhibiting this same air of pro-business and entrepreneurism. :thumbsup:

I was looking for that list A219724 and you beat me to it. I will say that even when you add the metro, Metro Atlanta is number 10. Either list, Atlanta is amongst great company.

Having said that, I will expand even further and say that my comments that I spoke to Catdaddy were...and I quote:

This does not limit it only to Fortune 500 companies. There are many black owned companies, that while are not Fortune 500 companies, have afforded their owners and children a very comfortable lifestyle.

I will say this....although this thread was not initially started about Atlanta....Atlanta has many oppurtunities for all citizens of all colors. While the economy has been trying of late, there have been many success stories in the metro area for small business owners. Atlanta ranks high for business start-ups. There are many business oppurtunities to be had here.

From what I am hearing, Charlotte is exhibiting this same air of pro-business and entrepreneurism.

^I don't think so.  NY, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Houston and Washington, DC all have a higher number of Fortune 500 headquarters.  Metro-wise, Atlanta is somewhere in the bottom half of the top 10.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DC would have been in there, but it EXCLUDES northern VA, which in all honesty should be inculded when referring to DC ;) . BTW, Cincinatti has fallen out of this list. Charlotte based Duke Energy, just bought one of their companies. Synergy. The new HQ is here in CLT.

A2

• 2 weeks later...

What about metro numbers?  City stats don't really tell the true story.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know TL. All of the numbers come directly from Fortune magazine 2005 when ranking cities. I know Charlotte is 5th even without Lowes or Family Dollar, which are well with the Metro area, but are not even counted. ;)

A2

Im getting in on the discussion late, but I thought Id throw in my opinion. Because I live 25mins from CC Charlotte I tend to lean toward Charlotte. But I must say I think Jacksonville is well on its way. Building permits tell an interesting story for the 3 cities.

Total building permits for 2005 through June.

Jacksonville-12802

Charlotte-10642

Nashville--9153

Total building permits for 2004 through June

Charlotte-11073

Jacksonville-9400

Nashville-8424

I think the super bowl made a huge impact on the way people perceive Jax. Just a thought.

I went to Fortune's website and counted one-by-one, the number of Fortune 500 companies (2005 list) in the metro areas of Houston, Dallas, Washington & Atlanta.  Here's what I found:

Houston: 21

Dallas: 17

Atlanta: 14

Washington: 14

http://www.lead411.com/fortune500a.taf

As you can see, in the case of Dallas and DC, the number jumps up significantly when we look their metro areas.  I'm sure the numbers would jump up big time for cities like Chicago, San Fransico, LA, Detroit and Minneapolis as well, which would lead to a completely different ranking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your number was off slightly for Metro Atlanta. There are actually 15.

13 Home Depot

42 UPS

87 Bellsouth

92 Coca Cola

109 Georgia Pacific

123 Coca Cola Enterprise

138 Delta Airlines

180 Southern Company

245 Genuine Parts

273 SunTrust Banks Inc

304 Newell Rubbermaid

322 Cox Communications

374 AGCO Corp

424 Mirant

473 Beazer Homes USA Inc

Yeap...........that's 15.

My hats off to all the cities with a major corporate presence. Metropolitan Atlanta is in very good company. It's shows a robust economy, a comfortable way of life, strong governmental leadership and national clout. As does all the cities with 10 or more F500 companies headquartered in your metros.

Kudosssssssssssss goes to:

Charlotte

New York

Atlanta

Washington DC

Houston

Chicago

Dallas

and many more metros with 10 or more F500s. This shows that big business thinks enough of your location to call it home. What great company to be amongst. :thumbsup:

Im getting in on the discussion late, but I thought Id throw in my opinion. Because I live 25mins from CC Charlotte I tend to lean toward Charlotte. But I must say I think Jacksonville is well on its way. Building permits tell an interesting story for the 3 cities.

Total building permits for 2005 through June.

Jacksonville-12802

Charlotte-10642

Nashville--9153           

Total building permits for 2004 through June

Charlotte-11073

Jacksonville-9400

Nashville-8424

I think the super bowl made a huge impact on the way people perceive Jax. Just a thought.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this a fair comparison? Jacksonville & Nashville include the entire county they are located in. Charlotte is just the City of Charlotte unless you took building permits for all of Mecklenburg county. I would post the source of your #s too.

^Good question. But while your at it, Jax's statistics don't include all of Duval County. It leaves out the independent beach communities which are also undergoing a huge condo boom. Nevertheless, it seems the metro Jax has a more significant number of multi-family projects going up, while metro Charlotte still has higher single family home numbers. At least that's what it was last year when someone posted some stats on this subject.

Here's a F500 rundown of the specific cities/metros of this thread.

Charlotte

18 Bank of America

43 Lowes

65 Wachovia

86 Duke Energy

189 Nucor Corp

272 Sonic Automotive

345 SPX Corp

373 Family Dollar Stores

408 Goodrich

Jacksonville

182 Winn Dixie

261 Fidelity National Finance

269 CSX Corp

Nashville

80 HCA Inc

280 Dollar General

I used the list above provided by thelakelander. If my numbers are wrong, please add any additional F500s I may have missed.

Archived