Local Happenings

provid

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

flagraising06.jpg

That's one thing I hated about Providence after Ciciline.. Why should the city's municipal headquarters have an agenda like that flying high above it? The Mayor can tout equal rights and go to the parades and everything all he wants, and that's fine. If he wants to make the city more gay-friendly, I commend him. City Hall, however, should be a place not plastered with political agendas like this, noble or not. This is the same as putting the NRA or NAACP flag up there, it's divisive. The city voted in the Mayor, not special interests.

Why should the city's municipal headquarters have an agenda like that flying high above it?

What agenda exactly are you talking about? It's no different than the Portuguese, or Domincan, or other flags that are flown over City Hall during special celebrations.

What agenda exactly are you talking about? It's no different than the Portuguese, or Domincan, or other flags that are flown over City Hall during special celebrations.

I guess I see what you're saying, but I don't agree with that. Doesn't that flag going up during June scream that this city supports advancing gay rights? That's my problem with it, not that I don't support gay rights. I just don't think it's appropriate to be put up there. You could also say that statehouses that fly the Confederate flag are celebrating their heritage, but a lot of people are rightfully offended by it.

I wanted to be sure, so I emailed Rodney Davis at RI Pride:

Actually Mayor Cianci was the first mayor to enact this ceremony in all of Rhode Island and was the one who likewise worked with us in creating the Rainbow Banner Trail. It is our 9th Annual event this year way before Mayor Cicilline was in office.

I guess I see what you're saying, but I don't agree with that. Doesn't that flag going up during June scream that this city supports advancing gay rights? That's my problem with it, not that I don't support gay rights. I just don't think it's appropriate to be put up there. You could also say that statehouses that fly the Confederate flag are celebrating their heritage, but a lot of people are rightfully offended by it.

the confederate states were founded on racism. there's a difference. i think it would be an excellent agenda of the city supported advancing gay rights. after all, someone somewhere had to decide that it would be a good agenda to advance african american rights and women's right.

flagraising06.jpg

ooooh look everybody, you can see me!! I'm at the top of the steps at the end of the red, my bf is beside me on the left.

I wish I could make it this year, but the rain has delayed my building of our float for the Boston Pride Parade tomorrow and I must finish it...

If anyone is interested in marching in the Boston Parade with RI Pride and helping us convince people to come to the Ocean State next weekend, send me a PM. All are welcome.

the confederate states were founded on racism. there's a difference. i think it would be an excellent agenda of the city supported advancing gay rights. after all, someone somewhere had to decide that it would be a good agenda to advance african american rights and women's right.

Um, the entire country was founded on as much racism as the confederacy and much of that racism exists even today.

A lot of people (myself included) have or had this simplistic notion of the Civil War as almost a good vs. evil and liberation vs. slavery but it was about a lot more than that, and I know that a lot of black americans feel that the North is still more racist than the South. [/end hijack]

Regarding the Pride flag versus the Confederate flag... The Pride flag has never been used to represent the oppression of the group the flag represents over another group. While the War Between the States had many reasons for starting, and there were some issues the south was certainly entitiled to be angered over, the Confederate flag has, in part become a symbol of one groups oppression of another.

My point is that gay rights is a controversial issue, and that with the entire city's government (not just the mayor) taking sides like this it seems divisive to me.

No one is taking sides on anything other than the fact that gays and lesbians have a right to live happily in our city. Are you opposed to that? When the Portuguese flag flew over City Hall last week did you interpret that as the city's endorsement of everything the portuguese community lobbies for an believes in?

We're far from the only city that recognizes gay pride week.

Everything government does is controversial, it wouldn't function if you dissallowed everything that was controversial.

I know, let's make straight pride flag and hang it next to the gay pride flag! Problem solved. :lol:

However, I am a tad uncomfortable with the whole flag raising ceremony thingy. Cotuit brought up the flags of different countries, and that's fine, but it most cases it's less political than gay rights (though this may change with the increased debate over illegal immigration).

World Racing Yacht PINDAR ALPHAGRAPHICS at India Point today 6/13 at 2:00PM

"Community Boating Center at India Point is proud to host the Pindar AlphaGraphics, a record-holding around-the-world racing yacht. Adult tours will be from 2:00-3:00 and after that CBC will host youth tours including a Providence-to-Newport sail for select inner-city youth with the Pindar team.

Community Boating Center (CBC) will host hands-on, experiential learning activities for its youth sailors and free public youth tours of the 60 ft. ocean racing yacht

From onepvd:

Olneyville: Campaign Against Displacement event

On Saturday June 24th, ONA is having a public event to kick-off our Campaign Against Displacement. From 2:30 to 6pm at Lemus Auto on 190 Valley Street

You are invited to come and participate in an afternoon of food, fun, and community! The day will feature a Question & Answer session with local elected officials, workshops on Tax Increment Financing (TIF) and Getting Involved in the Development Process, and a Community Barbeque. There will be Spanish/English translation, music, and children's activities. This is a day for the whole family to celebrate what makes our neighborhood special as we organize and look toward the future. I sincerely hope you will attend.

Attached is the event flyer in Spanish and English. Please forward widely, and invite your family, friends, and neighbors. Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, or would like to get involved.

Michael J. W

deleted

I took a look at the website, and maybe it's late and I'm just tired and lazy, but I'm having a real problem figuring out who this group is, who's a member, what it does, etc. Can someone help me here?

- Garris

I'm having a real problem figuring out who this group is, who's a member, what it does, etc.

I can't figure it out either, I should have gone with my first instinct first and just deleted it.

I took a look at the website, and maybe it's late and I'm just tired and lazy, but I'm having a real problem figuring out who this group is, who's a member, what it does, etc. Can someone help me here?

- Garris

Hello Garris & Cotuit. My name is Mary and I am the person who posted information about an upcoming event here in RI - Cocktails For A Cause

When I found this website and navigated to the local postings, I assumed that anyone could add posts that may be of interest to your members... particularly if it's a "things to do in RI" type event, which it is. If I'm mistaken, please accept my apology and guide me to the posting policy page so I can figure out where I went wrong.

Thanks - Mary

[email protected]

When I found this website and navigated to the local postings, I assumed that anyone could add posts that may be of interest to your members... particularly if it's a "things to do in RI" type event, which it is. If I'm mistaken, please accept my apology and guide me to the posting policy page so I can figure out where I went wrong.

This page shows the site's rules.

Your post would constitute unapproved advertising. Especially since it is unlcear what your event is about, or what cause it purports to support.

Active contributing members are given wider latitude when posting events. People who sign up just to advertise something, are not.

This page shows the site's rules.

Your post would constitute unapproved advertising. Especially since it is unlcear what your event is about, or what cause it purports to support.

Active contributing members are given wider latitude when posting events. People who sign up just to advertise something, are not.

I found this site to be very informative the day that I joined and later posted. Had I known about it longer, I probably would be considered an "active contributing member" by now. I did read the policy page prior to posting - however, my message was misconstrued as unapproved advertising rather than what is was meant for - a public service announcement. My event is open to the public and the beneficary is clearly stated on the website that I had listed.

I am a RI resident and 10-year business owner. Part of my job is to find cost effective ways to increase awareness of local nonprofit organizations - and forums like this help me to do that.

I would be more than willing to properly introduce myself to the group if there is a dedicated place to do so. I am hoping that in the future, I will be able to utilize this forum as a resource to help spread the word about other nonprofit events that I'm involved with. If you recommend that I submit information to the moderators prior to posting, I will do so. Just tell me the rules.

Warmest Regards - Mary

July 3, 6:30pm, Fireworks at 10pm, Station Park, Downtown Providence, FREE, Join Mayor Cicilline at Providence's Independence Day celebration on July 3. The evening will kick-off with the Grammy-nominated Puerto Rican plena band Plena Libre. The Rhode Island Philharmonic Summer Pops Performance will follow at 8pm. The evening will end with a Fireworks display at 10pm.

Archived